Author Topic: Illinois cans Groce.  (Read 29627 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Illinois cans Groce.
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2017, 10:58:15 PM »
Through all this, the only thing I am really upset at Brad for is working out this deal during the tournament instead of game planning thus messing up my pick for OSU to win their first game.

Is he not allowed to eat either? You really think basketball coaches prep for games 16 hours a day, everyday?

I definitely think he would have prepared more if he was not looking at other jobs.  I don't think that is a very controversial stance for me to take.

That said, I'm not that mad at him.  My bracket is a mess anyway.

You have no clue how much he prepped. Why didn't you have this objection last year?

Because I didn't have him going any further in my bracket last year.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2017, 09:38:02 AM »
Do you want to see the force in action? I want you all to consider the path of Brad Underwood who is now a multimillionaire.

If Underwood doesn't have Walkup at Stephen F Austin, he doesn't get the Oklahoma State gig. By all measure, he would still be floundering around down there.

If Forte and Evans did not get hurt, during Travis Ford's last year, Oklahoma State would not have had a bad record. This led to Underwood getting the Oklahoma State gig. Travis Ford's bad luck became a huge stroke of luck for Underwood.

Illinois, and pundits, look at Oklahoma State and say: "Man, what a job of coaching. Underwood completely turned that program around in one year." Nothing could be further from the truth. Oklahoma State was terrible, during Ford's last year, because their two best players were unable to play. They heal up and come back just in time for Underwood. UNDERWOOD GETS THE CREDIT FOR TURNING OKLAHOMA STATE AROUND WHEN IT HAD MORE TO DO WITH INJURIES THAN IT DID COACHING.

Someday, Underwood may go down in the books as a very good coach. Time will tell. The fact of the matter is, however, his career was jumpstarted by a great measure of good luck.

I can sort of understand the most non-critical K-State fan's blind support of oscar, but those that go out of their way like this to discredit Brad as some justification of oscar is pretty unbelievable.

that was a kstate fan? jfc..thought it was a scorned OSU fan.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »
I'm curious to see how Brad does at Illinois. Curious if Pullen is in touch at all. Im glad that my interests will be larger than KSU and UK next year.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2017, 11:49:07 AM »
Underwood asked the OSU AD for 2 more treadmills.  He said no.

Local radio said that Underwood and his agent had a verbal agreement with OSU that if OSU was going to give him a new contract/raise, they'd have it done before leaving for the NCAA tourney.  When they got on the plane for Indy without a new deal done, Brad was gone.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
You have to admire a man of principle
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2017, 02:57:37 PM »
Brad's buyout the next 3 yrs is 8.5M, 7.4M, and then 6.3M.  His chances of coming to Ksu in the near future just went down even more  :Ugh:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2017, 03:05:05 PM »
I'm sure a guy who loves us like Brad does has a K-State clause in that contract.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2017, 03:13:18 PM »
Through all this, the only thing I am really upset at Brad for is working out this deal during the tournament instead of game planning thus messing up my pick for OSU to win their first game.

Is he not allowed to eat either? You really think basketball coaches prep for games 16 hours a day, everyday?

I definitely think he would have prepared more if he was not looking at other jobs.  I don't think that is a very controversial stance for me to take.

You have no clue how much he prepped. Why didn't you have this objection last year?

Nothing you said here is wrong. Kinda mumped up he was scheming and working on his next role at the same time. If this was a likable coach doing the same at K-state, MIR would probably think differently. Whatever tho, good for him.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2017, 03:14:30 PM »

Nothing you said here is wrong. Kinda mumped up he was scheming and working on his next role at the same time. If this was a likable coach doing the same at K-state, MIR would probably think differently. Whatever tho, good for him.

I assume every coach, likable or not, would have acted the same with any job that could triple their salary.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2017, 03:22:28 PM »
I assume every coach, likable or not, would have acted the same with any job that could triple their salary.

Especially after a soured relationship with your AD.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2017, 03:23:20 PM »
still pretty unreal he left oSu that quickly. good for him though!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
I mean he's making more than Frank now. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2017, 03:33:03 PM »
Dyk Illinois is home to the world's tallest cow @ 6'4"?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2017, 03:40:33 PM »

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2017, 03:53:00 PM »
If Brad would have come here last year, I could definitely see this playing out the same way with Currie.

http://newsok.com/article/5542289

But sources say any chance of a compromise on Underwood's part were squelched Monday when during a meeting he felt insulted by Holder. The source said that Underwood was told by Holder that Ford won more games in his first year than did Underwood and went on to make five NCAA Tournaments. The source said that Underwood was so angry he got up to leave the office at that point, though Holder convinced him to stay.

“I think that was really hurtful,” the source said. “I believe that was the dagger.”

If not, the dagger came a few minutes later. When discussing the value of OSU basketball on campus, the source said, Holder told Underwood he was asking for Final Four-type money and that the Cowboys currently are on a level of Iowa State, Texas Tech and Kansas State in the Big 12.

“He was going to Illinois the moment Holder said that to him,” the source said. “What he was looking for, Holder's vision for the program, ‘I believe you can get us up to KU and Bill Self and blah-blah,' and that just wasn't what he heard.”

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2017, 04:48:44 PM »
I think Undie was fishing off the wrong pier if he wanted OSU to triple his salary after 1 year.   

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2017, 05:30:57 PM »
I think Undie was fishing off the wrong pier if he wanted OSU to triple his salary after 1 year.   

except he tripled his salary at Illinois

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2017, 05:45:14 PM »

Different school, friend.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2017, 05:46:39 PM »
Basically he was just chumming the water at OSU.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 20, 2017, 05:55:55 PM »

well yeah. but the fact that he got it means it wasn't an unreasonable fishing expedition.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 20, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »

well yeah. but the fact that he got it means it wasn't an unreasonable fishing expedition.

Relative to Okie State, it was.   That was the point, cRusty.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2017, 06:43:39 PM »

I'm interested to know what stance you think I'm taking here. You clearly are inferring something other than what I typed. I want to know how your mind got there.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 20, 2017, 06:46:33 PM »
If Brad would have come here last year, I could definitely see this playing out the same way with Currie.

http://newsok.com/article/5542289

But sources say any chance of a compromise on Underwood's part were squelched Monday when during a meeting he felt insulted by Holder. The source said that Underwood was told by Holder that Ford won more games in his first year than did Underwood and went on to make five NCAA Tournaments. The source said that Underwood was so angry he got up to leave the office at that point, though Holder convinced him to stay.

“I think that was really hurtful,” the source said. “I believe that was the dagger.”

If not, the dagger came a few minutes later. When discussing the value of OSU basketball on campus, the source said, Holder told Underwood he was asking for Final Four-type money and that the Cowboys currently are on a level of Iowa State, Texas Tech and Kansas State in the Big 12.

“He was going to Illinois the moment Holder said that to him,” the source said. “What he was looking for, Holder's vision for the program, ‘I believe you can get us up to KU and Bill Self and blah-blah,' and that just wasn't what he heard.”

Texas Tech? eff Mike Holder.

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 20, 2017, 10:35:43 PM »

Relative to Okie State, it was.   That was the point, cRusty.
The problem with the analogy is that OSU wasn't the pier, it was the bait.