Author Topic: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?  (Read 161485 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?
« Reply #575 on: November 26, 2017, 11:28:26 PM »
http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=33753.msg1651992#msg1651992

:gocho:

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=33753.msg1652023#msg1652023
 :cheers: you got to have the foresight that Currie apparently didn't have, I got to be right on McQueary's snitch ass two years in a row

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 26, 2017, 11:32:28 PM »
http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=33753.msg1651992#msg1651992

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=33753.msg1652023#msg1652023
 :cheers: you got to have the foresight that Currie apparently didn't have, I got to be right on McQueary's snitch ass two years in a row

yeah I mean I knew that off the top of my head plus knew he had a rep for being a piece of trash and somehow Currie thinks Schiano was going to be all hunky dory? Just unreal that he really really is that out of touch.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 27, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »
Tennessee fans don't give a damn about anything but getting the football coach they want, at any expense, it's actually amazing.

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/935012785162997760

The replies to this tweet are something else

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 27, 2017, 12:10:45 AM »
I'm seeing more and more #vols talking about how Schiano sucks at football as opposed to or at least in addition to Sandusky things.

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 27, 2017, 12:29:01 AM »
I'm seeing more and more #vols talking about how Schiano sucks at football as opposed to or at least in addition to Sandusky things.

The whole thing was just bad, and it wasn't clearly well planned out by the University of Tennessee Administration and/or John Currie, whoever did this.

I'm trying to think of this through as a rational post.  Looking at Schiano, yes, there is that allegations of the Sandusky situation.  As it was noted, it was coming from a 3rd hand source (McQueary) in court, which is hearsay, and no evidence to really support that claim, and Schiano has denied this.  However, the PSU stuff is still pretty fresh considering that process is still being played out with the McQueary defamation case and other stuff that is going on (Baylor rape stuff being the most recent situation, indirectly).  We'll never get the full story of how it exactly played out in Penn State, but anyone who is associated to that, directly or indirectly, is tainted in some peoples eyes.  So I can understand why the folks doesn't want to associate themselves to the Sandusky situation, at all.  It casts a bad light.

So, if we were to remove the Penn State stuff, and look at him as a coach.  There has been well established reports of him being a not so very nice guy during his time in Rutgers and in the NFL.  Granted, he did well in Rutgers, but it has also been noted that his tactic of using satellite camps is banned.  There's also that tweet from TJ Moe that some players who played under him in Rutgers, hated him.  In addition, his career in the NFL was uninspiring and there's that tweet that the NFL players hated his style, and how he treated some NFL players were pretty bad.  The Freeman incident is an example of it as well.  There's also that MRSA thing that happened under his watch.  So I also can understand their reasoning for not wanting to have a "retread" coach, who barely made it successful in Rutgers.

Really, looking at the whole body of work, everything there just casts a bunch of red lights that, somehow, University of Tennessee and/or John just overlooked it.  The Penn State stuff.  The personality that really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.  It was just a poor judgement call by Tennessee and/or John.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 12:33:59 AM by WildcatPower »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 27, 2017, 04:46:47 AM »
Players hating him shouldn't be considered a bit. The people vocal on twitter about how much players hate him have not people who have played for him, but I've seen multiple tweets from people who played for him having his back. He's a coach there will always be players that love him and hate him.

He was an unmitigated disaster in the NFL though, no doubt about it. He wouldn't be the first college coach to flame out in the NFL and won't be the last.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 27, 2017, 07:31:13 AM »
I’m Lol’ing, but I’ve never heard a peep about Schiano and Sandusky, and now several reporters are saying there was never really anything to it.

Lol’ing at Currie, hate to see someone who may have done nothing wrong get skewered on social media.

The problem is, while there may never really anything into it, it was testified, under oath that he knew of the situation and didn't do anything.

Okay, hadn’t seen or heard that.

Here you go Dax.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/07/12/greg-schiano-tom-bradley-knew-of-jerry-sandusky-abuse-at-penn-state-documents-show/?utm_term=.310aad4d7a04

I sure in the eff hope you don't think this
“No,” McQueary replied, according to the documents, “only that he had — I can’t remember if it was one night or one morning — but that Greg had come into his office white as a ghost and said he just saw Jerry doing something to a boy in the shower. And that’s it. That’s all he ever told me.”

justifies the bullshit the Tennessee fans are doing or worth ruining the careers of Currie and Schiano.

The DA didn't deem it necessary to get Bradley or Schiano on record, under oath. These people are labeling this guy an enabler to a pedophile all because they didn't want him as a football coach. It's rough ridin' gross, Salem witch and McCarthyism type stuff, people should be outraged but everyone is cool with this because it's funny on twitter.

The problem is, Schiano just submitted a PR move, denied it, and moved on.  If he really felt like he was being defamed, then he should have gone after Mike McQueary.

He didn't.

And this was a bad judgement by Currie.  I would bet you that if said coach was NOT allegedly linked to this scandal, this would have been moot.

Gone after McQueary for what? Retelling a story that was supposedly told to him? What exactly does going after him look like?

There is typically some protection for slander/libel in the context of court proceedings. According to the article the statements were in sealed documents so you could argue they were never intended to be made public.

And I don’t believe it is up to Schiano to bring perjury charges, even though the state clearly did not view the allegations as credible since they would have gone after Schiano as well.

TLDR: MIR is probably right. Not much he could do even if the statement was 100% false.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 27, 2017, 07:34:15 AM »
Currie never ceases to amaze.

He basically goes after the Mark Mangino of Rutgers (with Sandusky connections) and thinks that people at Tennessee will take that. Its not like he hasn't worked at that place before, he should have a good understanding of that fan base.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 27, 2017, 07:40:10 AM »
Players hating him shouldn't be considered a bit. The people vocal on twitter about how much players hate him have not people who have played for him, but I've seen multiple tweets from people who played for him having his back. He's a coach there will always be players that love him and hate him.

Yea, I don’t think many people at Michigan were upset about the Harbaugh hire following his flame out at the NFL level amid similar allegations.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 27, 2017, 07:43:59 AM »
I do think this whole deal will fall at Currie’s feet and probably rightfully so, but I have to imagine he was receiving significant pressure from somewhere to look at Schiano. If people really believe Currie single handedly ran off Frank for being difficult to work with and potentially violating NCAA rules, I have a VERY hard time believing Currie would insist against everyone else on hiring a guy like Schiano. Makes zero sense.

Maybe he’s just lost his mind, or maybe there is way more to the story.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 27, 2017, 07:51:28 AM »
I do think this whole deal will fall at Currie’s feet and probably rightfully so, but I have to imagine he was receiving significant pressure from somewhere to look at Schiano. If people really believe Currie single handedly ran off Frank for being difficult to work with and potentially violating NCAA rules, I have a VERY hard time believing Currie would insist against everyone else on hiring a guy like Schiano. Makes zero sense.

Currie doesn't (still) understand that at the end of the day, it's actually him working for the fans and the coaches he employs. He's caught up in his job title and thinks it's the other way around. He should have learned his lesson with oscar but didn't. Maybe because it was basketball and not football and maybe because Kansas state has like 1/3 the amount of fans that UT has. I don't know.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 27, 2017, 07:56:39 AM »

Currie doesn't (still) understand that at the end of the day, it's actually him working for the fans and the coaches he employs. He's caught up in his job title and thinks it's the other way around. He should have learned his lesson with oscar but didn't. Maybe because it was basketball and not football and maybe because Kansas state has like 1/3 the amount of fans that UT has. I don't know.

Yeah, Currie still doesn't get it.

Offline muqluk

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 27, 2017, 08:00:59 AM »
There's also that MRSA thing that happened under his watch.

I don't see how this would/should be a factor.  I can see why it could be a bad publicity moment for him during the Bucs stint but there's hardly anything he coudl have done to prevent (much less cause) it.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 27, 2017, 08:10:47 AM »
I’m Lol’ing, but I’ve never heard a peep about Schiano and Sandusky, and now several reporters are saying there was never really anything to it.

Lol’ing at Currie, hate to see someone who may have done nothing wrong get skewered on social media.

The problem is, while there may never really anything into it, it was testified, under oath that he knew of the situation and didn't do anything.

Okay, hadn’t seen or heard that.

Let me see if I can find it.

This explains it pretty well.

https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/934946704004173824

The guy that wrote that is a Sandusky supporter....

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=aZUbWp_2KOuijwT40IH4Aw&q=john+ziegler+sandusky&oq=john+ziegler+sandusky&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.3...2326.15106.0.15690.30.26.3.1.1.0.261.4108.1j20j5.26.0....0...1.1.64.mobile-gws-hp..0.24.3466.3..0j41j0i131k1j0i131i155k1j0i22i30k1j33i160k1j0i8i13i30k1.0.HiC71LJnOco

And the guy is a dumbass for that.  But, he's right on the Schiano allegations.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 27, 2017, 08:20:18 AM »
Best media member take so far....

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/27/greg-schiano-tennessee-coach-protest-penn-state

Summed it up pretty well but I'm not so sure about this part...

After Sunday, I’d bet the fans who revolted will choose to embrace the person who does get the job if only to prove the fan base didn’t rise up out of a desire to destroy the program. The fans didn’t do what they did Sunday because they’re crazy. They did it because they love Tennessee.

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 27, 2017, 08:58:26 AM »
Booger McFarland was on Golic and Wingo this morning and boy he was ripping UT up and down.  He was pretty mad.
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline big orange

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 27, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »

The Haslam family (Pilot Oil) runs things in the UT Ath Dept. Jimmy (Cleveland Browns) had previously interviewed Schiano for the Browns and was enamored with him. Many think that Currie was at least in part doing his bidding. Currie apparently ran the hire by a few big boosters and the reaction was negative. Yet he still went ahead with the hire, or tried to do it.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 27, 2017, 09:12:47 AM »

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/27/greg-schiano-tennessee-coach-protest-penn-state

After Sunday, I’d bet the fans who revolted will choose to embrace the person who does get the job if only to prove the fan base didn’t rise up out of a desire to destroy the program. The fans didn’t do what they did Sunday because they’re crazy. They did it because they love Tennessee.

They will absolutely do that for the same sanctimonious reasons as why they latched onto Sandusky things to protest Schiano.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 27, 2017, 09:13:23 AM »
Here's a good breakdown of the potential financial/legal ramifications of the deal.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/26/greg-schiano-tennessee-volunteers-memorandum-understanding

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 27, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
Who on earth would've guessed that Currie's hire would cause a huge backlash among the fanbase? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 27, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »

They will absolutely do that for the same sanctimonious reasons as why they latched onto Sandusky things to protest Schiano.

yeah, trim and staples are right. you can't act crazy twice in a row. they have no choice but to somewhat accept the new hire.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 27, 2017, 10:12:58 AM »

yeah, trim and staples are right. you can't act crazy twice in a row. they have no choice but to somewhat accept the new hire.

We're not talking about rational people here, though.

Considering the Schiano fiasco actually had nothing to do with his ties to Sandusky and everything to do with his mediocre coaching record, I can't imagine Clay and Co. embracing anyone not viewed as a home run hire.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 27, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »
  Which they won’t get. So this will be very fun to watch from the sidelines.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 27, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »

We're not talking about rational people here, though.

Considering the Schiano fiasco actually had nothing to do with his ties to Sandusky and everything to do with his mediocre coaching record, I can't imagine Clay and Co. embracing anyone not viewed as a home run hire.

Doesn't matter.  Look how important what others' impressions of the fanbase are to them.