Author Topic: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?  (Read 162119 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Can Vol fans get a wiki on why Currie is a horrible hire at Tennessee?
« Reply #1425 on: October 11, 2021, 02:26:45 PM »
Later that Sunday, Travis also tweeted out Currie’s personal cellphone number, prompting angry fans to flood Currie’s phone with calls and texts.

“I think when you make a decision like that, the public should have an ability to respond to you,” Travis said. “There are certain jobs that are part of a public trust in my mind, and one of them would be head coach at Tennessee. One of them would be an athletic director at Tennessee.”

Travis says he doesn’t regret what he did then but wouldn’t do it again. “I’m in a different spot now,” he said. “Four years later, I feel like it might be punching down for me to go after an athletic director in a way that maybe wasn’t then.”

:lol:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: October 11, 2021, 04:57:23 PM »
Not at all surprised by the size of Clay's ego there.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: October 11, 2021, 06:54:00 PM »
Dave Chappelle has made the phrase “punching down” great again
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: October 11, 2021, 08:42:48 PM »
Currie flew to Dallas on Tuesday and met with Gundy for a few hours at the Dallas Fort-Worth airport Grand Hyatt.

Is this the same Hotel that Currie locked himself in for a couple of days before he hired oscar?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: October 11, 2021, 11:21:06 PM »
Thanks for posting the article, HouCat. Saves me on paying for gE premium this month.

Also, let it be known that this is The Greatest Story Ever Told. But it was published a day or two too soon since their golden boy Jon Gruden was just resigned from the Raiders today after it was revealed he was a complete :opcat:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 11:30:06 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: October 12, 2021, 08:11:18 AM »
Thanks for posting the article, HouCat. Saves me on paying for gE premium this month.

Also, let it be known that this is The Greatest Story Ever Told. But it was published a day or two too soon since their golden boy Jon Gruden was just resigned from the Raiders today after it was revealed he was a complete :opcat:

Speaking of which, does anyone remember the cell phone video that some douche took while following Currie all the while yelling "Hire Gruden"?

Currie is one of the best con-artists there has been. He's fooled multiple D1 schools, coaches, and agents into thinking he's a competent AD.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: October 12, 2021, 08:16:14 AM »

Speaking of which, does anyone remember the cell phone video that some douche took while following Currie all the while yelling "Hire Gruden"?

Currie is one of the best con-artists there has been. He's fooled multiple D1 schools, coaches, and agents into thinking he's a competent AD.
I would say that he is a competent AD overall. Great at raising money but bad at managing relationships/getting out of his own way.

If Fulmer hadn't pulled the rug out he might of got Leach to Knoxville.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: October 12, 2021, 10:07:52 AM »

I would say that he is a competent AD overall. Great at raising money but bad at managing relationships/getting out of his own way.

What makes you think he's great at raising money? Did he raise a ton of money at Wake Forest or Tennessee the first time? What about the second time around at either university? He presided over a time where K-State athletics was having almost unprecedented success in all sports, and we were also receiving crazy amounts of money from TV deals. An untrained monkey could have raked in millions during then.

The number one job of an AD is managing relationships. It's literally just about all they do. If they're not successful at that, then they're going to struggle in just about every other aspect of their job.

Can anyone name another P5, or even G5, athletic director who has been hired and fired in a shorter time span that Currie was at Tennessee?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: October 12, 2021, 02:32:52 PM »
IIRC another part of his fundraising success here was Currie ignored an unwritten rule and went after any and all potential big donors that were previously considered to be "owned" by other University entities (buisness school, ag school or what have you)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: October 12, 2021, 02:44:47 PM »

What makes you think he's great at raising money? Did he raise a ton of money at Wake Forest or Tennessee the first time? What about the second time around at either university? He presided over a time where K-State athletics was having almost unprecedented success in all sports, and we were also receiving crazy amounts of money from TV deals. An untrained monkey could have raked in millions during then.

The number one job of an AD is managing relationships. It's literally just about all they do. If they're not successful at that, then they're going to struggle in just about every other aspect of their job.

Can anyone name another P5, or even G5, athletic director who has been hired and fired in a shorter time span that Currie was at Tennessee?

He oversaw a number of big fundraising projects at Tennessee that were a big part of him getting our job, IIRC.  We upgraded most of our facilities significantly under his watch.  I don't like John Currie but I can admit he did very well with facilities and fundraising.  I don't think our facilities are anywhere close to where they are today without him.  He helped us operate like a legitimate athletic department in many respects.  Hell, just before he got here we were doing atrocious napkin extensions with Ron Prince.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: October 12, 2021, 03:30:20 PM »
Curries greatest fault was Martin.   He took on the Snyder Family Mafia.   People forget that our previous administration, facilitated by Wefald allowed the athletic department to be run like a personal financial fiefdom:  Wefald, Krause and Snyder. 

The post Wefald audit was an embarrassment.   

Remember Weiser, outside of hiring Huggins was talking the department into giving him $250k personal loans.  He along with Krause were sending the athletic department consulting bills to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars payable to their LLC’s.  Krause was drawing up multi million dollar contracts on rough ridin' cocktail napkins.   

What a shitshow.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: October 12, 2021, 04:25:42 PM »
Curries greatest fault was Martin.   He took on the Snyder Family Mafia.   People forget that our previous administration, facilitated by Wefald allowed the athletic department to be run like a personal financial fiefdom:  Wefald, Krause and Snyder. 

Remember Weiser, outside of hiring Huggins was talking the department into giving him $250k personal loans.  He along with Krause were sending the athletic department consulting bills to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars payable to their LLC’s.  Krause was drawing up multi million dollar contracts on rough ridin' cocktail napkins.   

What a shitshow.

Add to that the craptastic eight-year reign of Urick and you've got 15+ consecutive years of buffoonery.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: October 12, 2021, 05:09:34 PM »

What a shitshow.

Add to that the craptastic eight-year reign of Urick and you've got 15+ consecutive years of buffoonery.
Oh yes, Max was so dynamic that in the midst of the greatest football ever at K-State he didn’t think he could raise $13 million dollars.   

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: October 13, 2021, 10:39:00 AM »

He oversaw a number of big fundraising projects at Tennessee that were a big part of him getting our job, IIRC.  We upgraded most of our facilities significantly under his watch.  I don't like John Currie but I can admit he did very well with facilities and fundraising.  I don't think our facilities are anywhere close to where they are today without him.  He helped us operate like a legitimate athletic department in many respects.  Hell, just before he got here we were doing atrocious napkin extensions with Ron Prince.

Well, it certainly is hard for me to argue any of that. I would still be curious to know the answer to this question though,

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: October 13, 2021, 11:45:49 AM »

Well, it certainly is hard for me to argue any of that. I would still be curious to know the answer to this question though,

Who the hell knows, I'm sure there have been some that have been shorter but that isn't the least bit relevant. Jeff Long's tenure at KU was double that of Currie at Tennessee and Long was by any standard a horrible AD, maybe the worst AD tenure in modern history. It's also been made very apparent that Currie shouldn't have been fired from Tennessee, he was a fall guy for a president who lost control and an old football coach who had too much power and didn't know what the hell he was doing.

I can't believe you have people on here having to cape up for John Currie.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: October 13, 2021, 11:54:02 AM »
“The only five-star that we even concern ourselves with is a five-star heart,” Jones said

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: October 13, 2021, 12:27:00 PM »
“The only five-star that we even concern ourselves with is a five-star heart,” Jones said
A truly remarkable quote for the coach of Tennessee.

Offline KSNimrod

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: October 13, 2021, 02:14:23 PM »
A truly remarkable quote for the coach of Tennessee.

But it would sell like hotcakes on a purple shirt at a Catbacker's event!  LOL

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: October 13, 2021, 02:30:27 PM »
I don’t think I’m cape-ing up for Currie.   He deserves all the ridicule he’s received for the handling of Frank.   IMO he doesn’t deserve the criticism for his handling of Snyder.   While I’m no fan of oscar, we could have done far worse, but oscar’s tenure is sliding fast.

Currie absolutely turned our tin horn fiefdom of an athletic department into a legit major conference level administrated entity.  I don’t like Cap’n Kirk either.  But he recognized that we had a small timey looking athletic complex on a prominent corner of campus.  He instructed Currie to change that perception and that’s exactly what Currie got rolling in unprecedented fashion.  He executed a plan at a level never before seen at K-State.   

From what I’ve seen Currie was conducting a very solid coaching search for Tennessee and the Pres allowed a booster, a crap brained former football coach and blow hard media personality to blow all that up.

A few years later she had to tell the world the crap brained former football coach turned AD was resigning.   The entire football staff had been crap canned and that Tenn was reporting major violations to the NCAA.