Author Topic: what's wrong w/ the country right now?  (Read 35711 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: what's wrong w/ the country right now?
« Reply #150 on: December 20, 2016, 11:00:07 AM »
Hmm, is it still ski season in late March?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 20, 2016, 11:01:30 AM »
When were taxes lower than they are now?
Obama raised them 10% http://federal-tax-rates.insidegov.com/

Looks like Herbert Hoover was the last time for those of us who don't earn more than $450,000 per year.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2016, 11:02:12 AM »
Wait, that's spring break and I don't think I want to go during that. Maybe next year I'll look into it

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2016, 11:03:09 AM »
2015:

Nobody ever accused Vail of being a cheap mountain. But the latest price bump — $160 for a single-day adult holiday ticket — is getting chowder lovers to sit up and take notice.
Breckenridge, also owned by Vail Resorts, raised ticket prices from $140 to $145. Deer Valley, Utah, went from $114 to $120. Park City, Utah, raised prices to $115, and Whistler/Blackcomb, in British Columbia, upped its rate to $119 (Canadian).

According to the Aspen Daily News, single-day tickets at resorts owned by SkiCo (which manages Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands, Snowmass and Buttermilk) have gone up 65% since 2005.

https://gearjunkie.com/vail-lift-tickets-price-increase

true story alert- when we went skiing last year, we went to monarch. mainly because I hadn't been to that part of Colorado for a while and I wanted to see the springs, Manitou, woodland park, etc. but also because it was going to cost half as much.  :frown:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2016, 11:03:19 AM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2016, 11:03:29 AM »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2016, 11:04:28 AM »
"Jeff Sessions, FBI, the new President's a racist guy. School lunches, climate change, Starbucks has us in a rage. No Nintendos in the stores, I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!"

I got one this morning.  :gocho:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2016, 11:05:48 AM »
I read back over all seven pages and so far we have come up with 3 kind of crappy things about America in 2016...

1)cost of healthcare
2)cost of college
3)cost to ski

if trump can fix even 2 of these 3 things, he will have earned my vote in four years.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2016, 11:10:06 AM »
Your graphs stop at 2014. So that's probably ok then.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/09/26/violent-crime-and-murders-both-went-up-in-2015-fbi-says/?utm_term=.eea462d925b6

I might add ""Fact Checking" organization are increasingly partisan, both in the issues they choose to evaluate and how they evaluate them" to the list.

violent crime rates are 50% less than they were 25 years ago. you are delusional.

You might go back and read what I said. You also might stop and ask yourself, WGAF what violent crime was like 25 years ago if violent crime is suddenly on the rise now? If there was a sudden measles epidemic in this country, people wouldn't be saying "yeah, but compared to the 1800s...."

One data point out of 25 is statically an anomaly until proven a trend? Also, perspective matters :dunno: so many false equivalencies.

No that's fine, go ahead and pretend this is just an anomaly, and there is no connection to the wave of riots sweeping thru the cities this year. Jussssst an anomaly.

Daris you're making pretty much the same point but I'm not going to respond separately because you're just butthurt about getting burned by politifact.

Trends matter. It is an anomaly until proven a trend. Like, seriously how thick can you be? I'm not arguing it went up, but just one year doesn't mean that crime consistently is going up. It may very well continue to go up, but you cant make assumptions that one year up is a trend. And yes, a series of riotous events is rather anomalous to the trends over the last 25 years. You seriously are really bad at this. 1 data point in the up direction does not mean a trend up in crime. If it goes up but 10% the next 3-4 years. I'll be more than happy to fully agree with you. And how can you be pissed at an FBI source? Or you just dont trust anything anymore. You can just cop out butthurtness to try to prove the a point. Show me the alternative history trend that supports your point.

I didn't say it would continue to go up. Perhaps race relations and police relations will improve under Drumpf and violent crime will resume its decline. The simple fact, and only fact, I was making is that there has been a recent uptick in violent crime. That's not a good thing. To pretend it is an anomaly unconnected to current events is DUMB. But keep on going....

You and I have different definitions of an anomaly. You are assuming I'm meaning that the recent rise has no basis in reality and that it's random that crime has gone up. I'm not. What I'm saying is statistically, you cannot make the events of 1 year when out of the last 25 as the trend for it all. If next year and the year after and the year after it continues to climb, then yes, we have a trend set and the uptick wasn't statistically an anomaly. If it goes back down that it'll be one bump in the road and everyone 5-10 years from now will go "oh, what happened then? That sticks out like a sore thumb! 2015 must have been a anomalous year out of the whole thing!" Of course it went up due to recent violence, but it's anomalous to think statistically it matters. If it goes back down, it will literally, statistically be an anomaly. An anomaly doesn't mean there isn't any reason, just a difference outside of a trend, But go on, tell me how I am stupid and don't know statistics. You're being intelligently dishonest in thinking I don't realize that.

After all, it is anomalous wouldn't you agree that after 7 years of the current administration, while you may think things have gotten more crazy, the statistics didn't show any of that, and then it just happens to go up the last year? 7 data points in my court, 1 in yours. You tell me which is the odd year. It should be noted that it does need to be monitored, but until proven a trend, it is an anomaly to the data set so far.

Now you're just blustering, arguing over semantics of what constitutes an anomaly. My entire point is that violent crime is up because of the recent civil unrest. You don't seem to be disputing this, so now you're just arguing over whether the data is nevertheless an anomaly. You sound like Sys. Nobody gives a crap. You've conceded the point, move on.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 11:18:29 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2016, 11:12:26 AM »
I have no problem paying taxes, it's what civilized society does

What was your effective federal tax rate last year? Don't feel compared to share, but I'm gonna go ahead and assume it was less than 10%.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2016, 11:15:30 AM »

What was your effective tax rate last year?

true story- if forced to guess my effective tax rate from last year, I probably couldn't get you within 7% either way. 40%? 16%? 27%? absolutely no clue.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2016, 11:16:19 AM »
I love this part coming up where KSUW starts going off on how bad he is at managing his money!

:love:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2016, 11:17:38 AM »
40%'r :excited:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2016, 11:18:34 AM »
I love this part coming up where KSUW starts going off on how bad he is at managing his money!

Just can't live within his means  :frown:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2016, 11:19:42 AM »

true story- if forced to guess my effective tax rate from last year, I probably couldn't get you within 7% either way. 40%? 16%? 27%? absolutely no clue.

ditto but our accountants say they are doing their best to make it the lowest and I trust them

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 20, 2016, 11:20:06 AM »

Just take what you actually paid in federal income tax divided by your AGI. Both numbers are on your tax return.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 20, 2016, 11:21:03 AM »
ksuw is stuck in "upper middle class" purgatory due to taxes, that's what wrong with this country rick

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 20, 2016, 11:21:25 AM »

Sorry, you'll have to wait a little longer. I'll dust off that thread when I finish my 2016 return.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 20, 2016, 11:22:06 AM »
Does kdub just keep his tax return on a laminated card in his suit jacket like John currie?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 20, 2016, 11:22:37 AM »
ksuw is stuck in "upper middle class" purgatory due to taxes, that's what wrong with this country rick

Nah, more like lower upper class tax purgatory. It's hard to be a HENRY.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 20, 2016, 11:23:12 AM »
congrats on the bump :thumbs:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #171 on: December 20, 2016, 11:31:11 AM »
That's great, lib, we all pay taxes. But there's a lot of $ we're missing out on of our paychecks. Especially social security, which we'll never see.

Social Security will probably be gone, but it will most likely be replaced with the universal basic income after the robots take all of the jobs people without a college degree have today.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/18/elon-musk-says-robots-will-push-us-to-a-universal-basic-income-heres-how-it-would-work.html

This is why it's so hilarious to see the white, working class Trump supporters bent out of shape over jobs.  The vast majority of them won't have the knowledge or skills to work in the coming economy anyway.  They're just speeding up their own demise by pushing the Bannon agenda.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 20, 2016, 11:32:25 AM »

Nah, more like lower upper class tax purgatory. It's hard to be a HENRY.

try being a HIRN.  It is awesome as hell

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #173 on: December 20, 2016, 11:33:15 AM »
"Jeff Sessions, FBI, the new President's a racist guy. School lunches, climate change, Starbucks has us in a rage. No Nintendos in the stores, I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!"

I got one this morning.  :gocho:

I almost swung by Target after I dropped off the kids at school.  I guess I should have.  :cry:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 20, 2016, 11:34:09 AM »

Just take what you actually paid in federal income tax divided by your AGI. Both numbers are on your tax return.

I think I can do this! what is a good effective tax rate and what's a bad one? like, what should I be shooting for? how will I know if I'm getting screwed or if I'm sticking it to the man or whatever the goal is?