Author Topic: Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 44927 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #325 on: January 06, 2017, 01:46:44 PM »
Oh okay.

How much more experienced Ron Prince than Venables in 2004?

He had been a coordinator of an average offense for 3 years and only been coaching at a P5 school for 5.

Venables has been coordinator or co-coordinator for 18 years for 2 major programs competing for league and national titles.

I don't think they are comparable. I do agree its weird that Venables has never seriously been pursued by anyone.

I have always assumed that Venables has been "seriously pursued" in the same way Snyder has been.  There is no question other programs have reached out, but I think he just has made it so clear he is not interested that it never goes far enough to even be a rumor.  It could even be that Venables' agent keeps coming forward to him with calls from schools that are interested and he just doesn't call them back.

Snyder was very close to going to UCLA. Venables and his agent gain absolutely nothing by dismissing jobs or keeping rumors quiet.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 06, 2017, 01:59:52 PM »
to be fair, Leavitt hasn't been a serious candidate for a head coaching job since he got fired, either.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: January 06, 2017, 02:02:35 PM »
to be fair, Leavitt hasn't been a serious candidate for a head coaching job since he got fired, either.
Yea, but we know the reason why... Venables, not so much.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 06, 2017, 02:36:08 PM »
Charlie Strong didn't get a job for a long time when people were saying how qualified he was.  Then he did.  So what.  Maybe Venables has had opportunities.  Maybe not.  Maybe he'd make a good coach or not.  But to add any credence to whether he's qualified or not simply based upon him not being hired by now is rough ridin' stupid.  When Snyder is done,  you reach out to him and interview him.  If he's a weirdo loser that the AD doesn't believe can do the job,  then fine.  Until then,  I wouldn't assume anything because what we do know is that he's been mentored by possibly 3 Hall of fame coaches and has had great success as a coordinator and positions coach.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: January 06, 2017, 03:26:22 PM »
I think we're enough better that available coaches would pick us over Minnesota but not enough better that a coach would leave Minnesota for us.
You're right.  But for more reason than you listed.  The only way (well not counting the Currie brucing it up) we would hire a Minnesota coach is if he were having good success.  And if a coach there had the ball rolling,  why would he risk leaving to another,  comparable job? Probably wouldn't unless you threw tons of money at him and even then maybe not.

I didn't list any reasons but yea, what you're saying.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 06, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »
Charlie Strong didn't get a job for a long time when people were saying how qualified he was.  Then he did.  So what.  Maybe Venables has had opportunities.  Maybe not.  Maybe he'd make a good coach or not.  But to add any credence to whether he's qualified or not simply based upon him not being hired by now is rough ridin' stupid.  When Snyder is done,  you reach out to him and interview him.  If he's a weirdo loser that the AD doesn't believe can do the job,  then fine.  Until then,  I wouldn't assume anything because what we do know is that he's been mentored by possibly 3 Hall of fame coaches and has had great success as a coordinator and positions coach.

Fair point, not sure Chuck Strong is the best example though.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=3813793

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 06, 2017, 04:44:06 PM »

Fair point, not sure Chuck Strong is the best example though.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=3813793
That might be true, but hardly a fact. But I don't want to get lost in the weeds with it.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 06, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »
I want Les Miles baaaaad!!!! 

I think he absolutely would come here.  And I think we could get 10 years out of him. 

He'd be very entertaining and would probably win a lot.  I'm all in on Les!!!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 06, 2017, 05:42:33 PM »
He was very meh at OSU during the most pud time in the history of the Big 12.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 06, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »
He was very meh at OSU during the most pud time in the history of the Big 12.

to be fair, they'd had one winning season in the 13 seasons before he arrived and he had 3 in 4 seasons. When he took over a good program in a good conference, he did pretty good.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 06, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »
I feel like Les Miles turned himself into a household name at LSU and would be able to recruit much better at this point than he was able to at OSU.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 06, 2017, 06:55:53 PM »
We don't have any grass for Les to eat tho. Big problem.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 06, 2017, 06:56:50 PM »
We could find him some.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 06, 2017, 06:58:43 PM »
I feel like Les Miles turned himself into a household name at LSU and would be able to recruit much better at this point than he was able to at OSU.
Yep I'm guessing he learned a thing or two in 11 years since

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 06, 2017, 07:58:32 PM »
Problem is he will cost somewhere in the range of 4 to 5 mil.  I doubt JC will fork over that much for a fired coach... but wait a minute, Oscar!!!
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: January 06, 2017, 08:09:43 PM »
Problem is he will cost somewhere in the range of 4 to 5 mil.  I doubt JC will fork over that much for a fired coach... but wait a minute, Oscar!!!

No he won't, not even close, he was fired, there isn't a program in America going to pay a fired 60something $4 million.

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: January 08, 2017, 12:48:50 PM »
Dykes gone at Cal.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: January 08, 2017, 12:50:49 PM »
In the strangest and most elongated coaching carousel in recent memory Sonny Dykes was fired today. Bet he wishes he went to Baylor, pretty dirty move by Cal.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: January 08, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »
Fire up the Chip Kelly to Cal rumors.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2017, 12:57:09 PM »
Oh okay.

He had been a coordinator of an average offense for 3 years and only been coaching at a P5 school for 5.

Venables has been coordinator or co-coordinator for 18 years for 2 major programs competing for league and national titles.

I don't think they are comparable. I do agree its weird that Venables has never seriously been pursued by anyone.

I have always assumed that Venables has been "seriously pursued" in the same way Snyder has been.  There is no question other programs have reached out, but I think he just has made it so clear he is not interested that it never goes far enough to even be a rumor.  It could even be that Venables' agent keeps coming forward to him with calls from schools that are interested and he just doesn't call them back.

Snyder was very close to going to UCLA. Venables and his agent gain absolutely nothing by dismissing jobs or keeping rumors quiet.

It was well known in Oklahoma that Brent went after the Arkansas State job after either Freeze or Mahlzan left.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 08, 2017, 01:01:14 PM »
Oh okay.

It was well known in Oklahoma that Brent went after the Arkansas State job after either Freeze or Mahlzan left.

That's a pretty big red flag, no?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: January 08, 2017, 06:42:25 PM »
Must be some OurVaniers down there

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #347 on: January 08, 2017, 07:12:21 PM »
Les Miles is a weirdo. Do not want.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: January 09, 2017, 08:36:10 AM »

No he won't, not even close, he was fired, there isn't a program in America going to pay a fired 60something $4 million.

Agreed.  Les Miles has started trying to get group of 5 jobs.  He will take what is offered. 

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 09, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »
Oh okay.

That's a pretty big red flag, no?

Why is this a red flag? I'm guessing it was after Freeze left is when he wanted it, because his first year as Clemson was the year Malzahn was at Ark St. Makes sense if he tried to get it, Stoops just brought in his brother to be a co-DC which clearly upset Venables. I don't think losing a HC gig to Malzahn would've be that big of an issue  :dunno: