Author Topic: Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 44929 times)

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2016 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #175 on: December 07, 2016, 12:28:35 PM »
ever heard of LOIC, stan?

n/a

yeah it is, look at the penn state

Did you forget about them being forced to repeal those sanctions? Also, I feel like I bring this up weekly, none of the people responsible for what happened at Baylor are there, making sanctions even more inappropriate and heavy handed. If you guys want a pound of flesh, maybe you can get it from Liberty?

surprised that you'd have that take.  i guess you're of the belief that his senior assistants, including his scumbag son, flew blindly though the accusations, i'm not.  they're very much a part of the systemic problem within that program.  art may have begrudgingly fallen on the sword but that doesn't mean those other parties had no clue of what was going on.

they spend too much time together to be shielded from it all.  they also recruited the individuals involved.

Sure, but they'll be gone in a month as well, any sanctions levied would linger far longer than Kendall and Phil will and that is bullshit.

Dude, I understand that many of the key players are gone or will be leaving, but that entire university deserves to be smashed.  Something like this isn't just about a few people running around dropping bags of cash or giving houses to players.  Baylor as an institution covered up gang rapes and used the power of the university to hurt students to cover up accusations.  This goes well beyond most things we could even compare other instances to.  If I recall correctly, you weren't so kind and forgiving to Penn St.

You don't recall correctly, I wasn't in favor of NCAA sanctions there either. I'll never be okay with punishing random people for something someone else did.

How do you say it's random people when many levels of the administration, title 9 office, academic affairs, and various student services offices didn't do what was right?  I'm all for letting students out of their commitments (since it's a bullshit plantation system anyways).  But when nearly every level of the university is involved in not just a cover up, but punitive action against complainants, and the fan base has rallied around to support the worst of the worst (Briles), how else do you punish them?

You don't punish them, that's the point.

The levels of administration that we know were complicit are gone edn, even the title IX officer who now says she is a victim. Even if you think that some random provost or something knew and helped cover something up, what will NCAA sanctions do to that person? Nevermind this requires one to make a wild, unproven accusation. Even if they didn't clean house, I'm still not sure of the grounds the NCAA had. The issue of sexual abuse at Baylor was/is a university issue not just an athletics issue. The university holding the honor code over the head of victims wasn't just a football problem. What happened at Baylor was abhorrent, but the NCAA isn't the proper avenue to right the wrongs done there. To make this an athletics issue cheapens what really happened there. Taking some scholarships away and banning kids who didn't rape from a bowl game is misplaced and shallow.
Whoa, who is stopping with the NCAA?  I agree 100% it's a university issue and an athletics issue.  I happen to think that Baylor should be punished to the maximum extent in athletics, criminal, or through any applicable lawsuits.  My point is that we have such an egregious case here every organization that can exercise punitive action against Baylor should.  If this was a grades or payment issue we would expect the NCAA to take swift action against the athletics program.  There are clear ethics in athletics issues with this case, especially when the entire AD it seems was involved in some way or another.  Competing in the NCAA's cartel of sports is a 'privileged' and should be treated as such.  When you violate the rules around sportsmanship and ethical conduct to this degree I don't see how any member institution can stomach them fielding a team.  Those goes well beyond football indeed, and includes the entire AD.  That is why I've said the entire AD should be punished.  Quite frankly, one of the most punitive ways to reprimand and send a clear message that your AD must be in order is to do a death penalty for the football team (at least).  That sends the message to the entire university that the appropriate bodies are willing to extinguish the face of the university in the face of such horrible abuses. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2016, 08:27:17 AM »
Kiffin?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2016, 09:30:20 AM »
Whoever the next coach is, Houston is trying to require an excessive buyout so he can't leave after a couple of seasons without paying a substantial penalty, a source said.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18235257/university-officials-meet-coaching-candidates-houston-cougars-vacancy

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 08, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »
Whoever the next coach is, Houston is trying to require an excessive buyout so he can't leave after a couple of seasons without paying a substantial penalty, a source said.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18235257/university-officials-meet-coaching-candidates-houston-cougars-vacancy

Pretty sure Tulsa basketball tried something similar after losing Self, Tubby, and maybe someone else and ended up with a terrible coach that never wanted to leave but had to get fired.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 08, 2016, 09:38:49 AM »

The answer to my previous question is, yes.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 08, 2016, 11:39:29 AM »

Pretty sure Tulsa basketball tried something similar after losing Self, Tubby, and maybe someone else and ended up with a terrible coach that never wanted to leave but had to get fired.

Yes, seems like a good way to get stuck with a crappy coach or overpay for someone proven.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 08, 2016, 11:47:42 AM »

The answers keep coming.

https://twitter.com/UHouston/status/806896258761822213

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 08, 2016, 12:14:59 PM »
Apparently it is Kiffen

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 08, 2016, 12:20:30 PM »

Was this Buzz Peterson?

I have an enjoyable Bill Self/Buzz story that has led me to hate Self long long before he was at KU.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 08, 2016, 12:35:08 PM »
Wouldn't Kiffin have better options available to him than Houston?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 08, 2016, 12:39:13 PM »
Wouldn't Kiffin have better options available to him than Houston?
Probably not. Tennessee and USC didn't end well in most folk's eyes.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 08, 2016, 12:39:50 PM »
Also shooter should share the Buzz/Self story

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 08, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
Also shooter should share the Buzz/Self story
yes, Bill seems like one of the most likeable of almost any elite head coach

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 08, 2016, 12:44:38 PM »
Disagree.  Would love to hear a self story

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 08, 2016, 12:54:43 PM »
PJ agreeing to extension and big raise with WMU.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 08, 2016, 01:26:16 PM »

The answers keep coming.

https://twitter.com/UHouston/status/806896258761822213

A university policy to twitter troll whenever possible, that's new I guess.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 08, 2016, 01:30:14 PM »

I don't think his style works well with many ADs which is somewhat ironic because it is what most football programs need. For a program like ours and many others, a buttoned up CEO isn't going to get it done unless he's an absolute football savant. For the record I don't consider vintage LHC Bill Snyder a buttoned up CEO, dude was by most accounts a weirdo.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 08, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »
Like I said earlier, ksu is set up perfectly already to embrace his quirks. He would probably embrace the #family thing too. It feels like a good fit.

As the mighty mighty bosstones said, that's the impression that I get
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: December 08, 2016, 01:45:47 PM »
If he had a hint of success KSU would go bananas for him.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: December 08, 2016, 01:51:32 PM »
is he paul rhodes' distant cousin who knows how to win?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: December 08, 2016, 01:56:08 PM »
Kiffin reminds me of a younger, less successful Weiss. He's done nothing as a head coach that I would be encouraged about.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: December 08, 2016, 02:11:17 PM »

I don't think his style works well with many ADs which is somewhat ironic because it is what most football programs need. For a program like ours and many others, a buttoned up CEO isn't going to get it done unless he's an absolute football savant. For the record I don't consider vintage LHC LHC Bill Snyder a buttoned up CEO, dude was by most accounts a weirdo.
i would agree with that for Bill 1.0 for sure.  He also had a ton of "characters" on the staff to relate to young people.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: December 08, 2016, 02:23:37 PM »
Hear me out for a second, as a young man growing up near Tulsa, OK, I loved TU basketball and wanted nothing more than to play there. As weird as that is. Now, to the summer of 2000, this young Shooter Jones believes he is a good basketball player and decides to attend one of the Bill Self Basketball camps at TU, loving both TU and Bill. It was a 3 or 4 day camp, where you got to stay and stuff, was going to be the highlight of my life*. About a month before, Self sends a letter out about being excited for the camp, with itineraries for meetings and everything, a few tee shirts, shorts and a reversible jersey with Bill Self camp logos all over them.

Days before the camp, Self is hired by the Illinois fighting Illini and skips town, not sure if he ever set foot in it again actually. So we get to camp and he's nowhere to be found. It ends up being a bunch of washed up assistants and former players (actually Pooh Williamson was there, which I enjoyed) that put it on, can't really remember if it was really unorganized, just remember being pissed the whole time. Well anyway, Bill never shows his face, not once, and at some point during THE BILL SELF BASKETBALL camp, Buzz rough ridin' Peterson gets hired and comes in to give a speech, all I could really remember was how he talked and trying to figure out whether or not he had a speech impediment. He left and didn't show his face again as well.

Anyway, maybe not as enjoyable as I remembered, but my hatred for Self began in June of 2000.