Author Topic: Thanks Varney's.  (Read 19321 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks Varney's.
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2016, 10:01:21 PM »
Do students still buy textbooks at the bookstore? I assumed it would be all Craigslist/Amazon now.

They should turn it back into an old fashioned single-screen movie theater but with dining and drinks and stuff. Would be fun.

The amount of investment to change the layout would seem insanely high.  I don't think margins on movie theaters are very good, although the high end ones with food and drink are probably better.

It wouldn't need to compete with Seth Child price-wise - it would be about the experience. Dining, bar, arcade, nice chairs. Bill Warren could make it work.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 13, 2016, 10:13:17 PM »
La Hacienda: Aggievilla
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2016, 10:32:12 PM »
Do students still buy textbooks at the bookstore? I assumed it would be all Craigslist/Amazon now.

They should turn it back into an old fashioned single-screen movie theater but with dining and drinks and stuff. Would be fun.

The amount of investment to change the layout would seem insanely high.  I don't think margins on movie theaters are very good, although the high end ones with food and drink are probably better.

It wouldn't need to compete with Seth Child price-wise - it would be about the experience. Dining, bar, arcade, nice chairs. Bill Warren could make it work.

There is already a second movie theater being built in the mall.  This is the same reason a grocery store makes very little sense although a lot of people around town have suggested it.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2016, 10:32:50 PM »

There's an IMAX opening at the mall in like 4 months...

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2016, 10:55:10 PM »

This as part of a gE booze/food court.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2016, 08:26:56 AM »
Should just be a frat venue for frat blowouts and date dashes

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 09:19:55 AM »

We should have a reward points system
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2016, 09:21:14 AM »

We should have a reward points system

Well yeah.  Anything that's a "thing" on here will be incorporated into this consumption utopia.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2016, 09:27:49 AM »
man, nothing says crown jewel of an entertainment district quite like a grocery store. 

With the wide sidewalks in that area, it obviously needs to be mixed use with condos upstairs and bar/restaurant street level with outdoor patio seating

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2016, 09:38:35 AM »

"It's the only business where the wholesaler tries to put the retailer out of business." 

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2016, 11:41:06 PM »
Can they just chop it up?  The two story side can be one thing, wall off the single level side, and then just put something(s) in there?

If that were the case, I think you could do something cool in the two story section similar to Free State Brewery in Lawrence.  I'm not sure if the town wants another version of what Tallgrass put together, but I think that would be easiest.

Otherwise, just turn it into condos.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2016, 11:49:50 PM »
So who's the "they" we're all talking about here?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2016, 11:55:13 PM »
LEVIN FAMILY L P

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2016, 11:57:38 PM »
Lot of aspiring real estate developers in this thread

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2016, 11:59:27 PM »
LEVIN FAMILY L P

Are they trying to sell the building or do they want to be landlords to other businesses or are they trying to come up with their own new business that works better in 2016 than college textbook stores or us constitutions?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 15, 2016, 08:36:03 AM »
Their closing timeline might be due to the Courtyard by Marriott trying to get into Aggieville.  The hotel people presented a plan to the commission that would basically firebomb Aggieville parking.  If Varney's people sold to them, that lot would have more than enough space to do a lot of parking and the hotel.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 15, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »
Can they just chop it up?  The two story side can be one thing, wall off the single level side, and then just put something(s) in there?

If that were the case, I think you could do something cool in the two story section similar to Free State Brewery in Lawrence.  I'm not sure if the town wants another version of what Tallgrass put together, but I think that would be easiest.

Otherwise, just turn it into condos.

Free State is Eskimo joes without the hoodies

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2016, 09:01:36 AM »
I want an aggieville lazy river

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2016, 09:09:35 AM »
Their closing timeline might be due to the Courtyard by Marriott trying to get into Aggieville.  The hotel people presented a plan to the commission that would basically firebomb Aggieville parking.  If Varney's people sold to them, that lot would have more than enough space to do a lot of parking and the hotel.
the last thing mhk needs is another hotel  :curse:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2016, 09:16:28 AM »
the last thing mhk needs is another hotel  :curse:

It could fit there, but that's just an iconic building.  I don't see Marriott as someone that would take a space like that and renovate; wouldn't they tear down and build?

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2016, 09:19:44 AM »
Turn Varney's into a #BoozeArcade  :driving:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2016, 09:38:36 AM »
Marriott would 1000% tear down and build.  To be fair, their current proposal for the hotel is for the parking lot/car wash by Starbucks.  I just thought it may have been a convenient time for Varney's to throw in the towel though.  The hotel people say they will have parking for their guests plus 18 spaces for the public, but with employees and rooms with multiple cars there is no way they are adding 18 for the public.  Also, given 4 new hotels in the last 4 years, they would just be taking existing business from other hotels and would likely force the 4 Points to close.  If they are putting up the money for everything, fine, but no reason for the city to give any incentives.

I would hate to lose that iconic marquee but if something does come in and bring a viable parking solution with it, I would be pretty happy.  A parking solution that makes the 2 blocks of Moro a pedestrian only area would have me peeing on the marquee's ashes.  As new as it is, I would assume the Pie5 lease would be expensive to buyout if the building is coming down.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2016, 10:06:32 AM »
aggieville is disgusting. if they decide to tear down varney's, they shouldn't stop there.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2016, 10:07:45 AM »
A parking solution that makes the 2 blocks of Moro a pedestrian only area would have me peeing on the marquee's ashes. 

this.  but I wouldn't be surprised to see the vintage marquee incorporated in whatever happens in that space next, whether new build or retro.   

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
Yeah, let's turn aggieville into an outdoor mall