Author Topic: Orlando shooting. Sad.  (Read 55408 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Orlando shooting. Sad.
« Reply #525 on: June 17, 2016, 08:40:23 AM »
Did I miss in the news that the filibuster legit accomplished something or did the daily show get hoodwinked or did they lie?

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/pbmjci/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-senate-democrats-filibuster-for-gun-control?xrs=share_copy_email_cctveapp

My understanding is that they had a deal, but this guy filibustered it for no known reason other than he reps the district where Newton CT is, and then they did or will do the same deal again.

The bipartisan deal is that if you are on "a list" you can't buy a gun. So basically a swift kick in the nuts for due process rights. Very Obama-y.

I think you should keep getting news from the Daily show though. That's awesome.

I'd love to see an unbiased news story that plainly clarifies what the filibuster'r thought he was (or wanted people to believe) he was accomplishing, and if it worked.  Because as far as I know, absolutely nothing has been accomplished since last Sunday.

"The list" def seems problematic, and already even w/o the gun aspect.  I don't follow why it's "secret" and there's no way to litigate being on it or not, if the secret is blown as soon as one tries to get on their flight.

That's really weird that you take a post pointing out that the daily show's representation of something doesn't seem to match reality as "getting news from the daily show."

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 17, 2016, 08:40:55 AM »
any updates on if the praying accomplished something?

It made a bunch of people who tweeted/posted that they were praying for Orlando instantly feel better about themselves...

I haven't prayed, and nothing's been accomplished.  Correlation?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 17, 2016, 08:41:37 AM »
FYI, DC vs Heller and Mcdonald vs. Chicago pretty much ended all of Chicago's strict gun laws as of 2008/10 so using Chicago as an example of gun control leading to more violent crime is pretty silly

Fyi, this is completely inaccurate.
I mean, handguns are allowed, concealed carry is allowed, there is no gun registry anymore, guns can be sold within city limits. Assault weapons are banned but that is pretty common among major cities... What are Chicago's strict gun laws?
:adios:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 17, 2016, 08:44:05 AM »
a strange amount of people become enraged when the daily show is mentioned

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 17, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »

Lucky for them, it'll probably be canceled soon.  The new guy just isn't funny.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 17, 2016, 08:50:07 AM »

yeah, he's not good at all

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 17, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »

yeah, he's not good at all

Oh man, lol at you for getting your news from the daily show.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 17, 2016, 08:59:31 AM »
So republicans are ok with no due process for gitmo but want due process if you are going to prevent buying guns
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 09:08:18 AM by ChiCat »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 17, 2016, 09:03:49 AM »
Anyone want to explain the logic behind Obama working to take away Americans' right to keep and bear arms while at the same time arming the terrorist-supporting regime of Iran with nuclear weapons?
Undoubtedly Obama's legacy will be the irreversible damage done to gun rights in America, it's shocking how difficult it is to legally acquire guns here as opposed to eight years ago. The rest of the modern world frequently wish their gun laws are as stringent as ours.

I've never really tried acquiring firearms. Is it difficult in the sense there are requirements you have to meet or else you will be denied to ability to purchase, or is it difficult as in you cannot get whatever you want whenever you want?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 17, 2016, 09:04:26 AM »
So republicans are ok with no due process for gitmo but want due process if you are going to prevent arm

The whole point of gitmo is that it's not America.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 17, 2016, 09:22:13 AM »
So republicans are ok with no due process for gitmo but want due process if you are going to prevent buying guns

Does due process apply to Gitmo?  We drone strike lots of foreigners without due process. 

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #536 on: June 17, 2016, 09:23:34 AM »
Did I miss in the news that the filibuster legit accomplished something or did the daily show get hoodwinked or did they lie?

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/pbmjci/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-senate-democrats-filibuster-for-gun-control?xrs=share_copy_email_cctveapp

My understanding is that they had a deal, but this guy filibustered it for no known reason other than he reps the district where Newton CT is, and then they did or will do the same deal again.

The bipartisan deal is that if you are on "a list" you can't buy a gun. So basically a swift kick in the nuts for due process rights. Very Obama-y.

I think you should keep getting news from the Daily show though. That's awesome.

I'd love to see an unbiased news story that plainly clarifies what the filibuster'r thought he was (or wanted people to believe) he was accomplishing, and if it worked.  Because as far as I know, absolutely nothing has been accomplished since last Sunday.

"The list" def seems problematic, and already even w/o the gun aspect.  I don't follow why it's "secret" and there's no way to litigate being on it or not, if the secret is blown as soon as one tries to get on their flight.

That's really weird that you take a post pointing out that the daily show's representation of something doesn't seem to match reality as "getting news from the daily show."

I agree with you here. Sorry about the daily show dig, I didn't know you were so sensitive about it.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 17, 2016, 09:25:22 AM »

So Democrats are okay with due process rights for non-citizen prisoners of war, but not for us citizens who've been charged with no crime?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 17, 2016, 09:27:14 AM »

So Democrats are okay with due process rights for non-citizen prisoners of war, but not for us citizens who've been charged with no crime?

I would rather have due process for people we are going to incarcerate than people we are going to prevent from going to a gun range/hunting

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 17, 2016, 09:31:42 AM »
FYI, DC vs Heller and Mcdonald vs. Chicago pretty much ended all of Chicago's strict gun laws as of 2008/10 so using Chicago as an example of gun control leading to more violent crime is pretty silly

Fyi, this is completely inaccurate.
I mean, handguns are allowed, concealed carry is allowed, there is no gun registry anymore, guns can be sold within city limits. Assault weapons are banned but that is pretty common among major cities... What are Chicago's strict gun laws?

I'm sure there's an ordinance you can post that will spell out Chicago's gun laws.

Heller and McDonald both overturned municipal schemes deliberately designed to make it impossible to legally own a gun. They didn't ban all regulation.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: June 17, 2016, 09:33:23 AM »

I would rather have due process for people we are going to incarcerate than people we are going to prevent from going to a gun range/hunting

None of us are surprised you have this perverted take on due process rights.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 17, 2016, 10:18:35 AM »

:sdeek: :sdeek: :sdeek:

(It doesn't have to be one or the other, FWIW.)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 17, 2016, 07:57:17 PM »
Anyone want to explain the logic behind Obama working to take away Americans' right to keep and bear arms while at the same time arming the terrorist-supporting regime of Iran with nuclear weapons?
Undoubtedly Obama's legacy will be the irreversible damage done to gun rights in America, it's shocking how difficult it is to legally acquire guns here as opposed to eight years ago. The rest of the modern world frequently wish their gun laws are as stringent as ours.

I've never really tried acquiring firearms. Is it difficult in the sense there are requirements you have to meet or else you will be denied to ability to purchase, or is it difficult as in you cannot get whatever you want whenever you want?

Did you miss my sarcasm or am I missing yours?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 18, 2016, 09:20:54 AM »
I think that one's on me.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 18, 2016, 01:05:47 PM »
Instead of gun control or bans, violent liberals should stop shooting each other

If New York City were all white, the murder rate would drop by 91 percent, the robbery rate by 81 percent, and the shootings rate by 97 percent. In an all­-white Chicago, murder would decline 90 percent, rape by 81 percent, and robbery by 90 percent.

http://en.metapedia.org/wiki/Race_and_crime#United_States

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 18, 2016, 01:16:04 PM »
Man, white people are great
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 18, 2016, 01:52:34 PM »
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-06-16/fbi-us-homicide-rate-51-year-low
These are encouraging numbers but I wonder about the effect of better medicine.

I'm not coming at you here, dax. I want you to know that a lot of people in Intelligence believe that zerohedge is Russian propaganda. It has no bearing on that article's accuracy, just an FYI.

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 18, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »
Instead of gun control or bans, violent liberals should stop shooting each other

If New York City were all white, the murder rate would drop by 91 percent, the robbery rate by 81 percent, and the shootings rate by 97 percent. In an all­-white Chicago, murder would decline 90 percent, rape by 81 percent, and robbery by 90 percent.

this stat needs controls for ancestral slavery in areas of historic poverty before comparing to those enjoying just the opposite.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 18, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »

this stat needs controls for ancestral slavery in areas of historic poverty before comparing to those enjoying just the opposite.
If Chicago was all rich, murder would probably decline by like 97%
:adios: