Author Topic: Gender Issues  (Read 43223 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Issues
« Reply #575 on: March 31, 2021, 01:31:43 PM »
How long have puberty blockers been (relatively) widely used? 

depending on your definition of "widely", since the late 90's/early 2000's
I did a little searching and saw that they've been used since the 80s -- at least for pausing/slowing down puberty in kids where its occurring too quickly, but I wonder how long it's been used to pause/prevent puberty for reasons related to gender uncertainty.  And how long before we have healthy data on lasting mental/physical health issues.

Hopefully soon/already and its all kosher and this is a great idea.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:34:45 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 31, 2021, 01:35:30 PM »

I did a little searching and saw that they've been used since the 80s -- at least for pausing/slowing down puberty in kids where its occurring too quickly, but I wonder how long it's been used to pause/prevent puberty for reasons related to gender uncertainty.  And how long before we have healthy data on lasting mental/physical health issues.

Hopefully soon and its all kosher and this is a great idea.

yeah my quick research pointed to 90's/early 00's for that

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 31, 2021, 01:41:25 PM »

Could you post a link when you get a chance?  I'm not finding it and i'd be interested in reading it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 31, 2021, 01:42:35 PM »
are the parents doing these kids a favor by letting them transition at a younger age considering the frontal cortex isn't fully developed until 25? there are also plenty of stories of he then she then back to he again.. some kids, probably most are trying to find themselves at that age.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 31, 2021, 01:44:30 PM »

Could you post a link when you get a chance?  I'm not finding it and i'd be interested in reading it.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(17)30099-2/fulltext

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 31, 2021, 01:47:18 PM »
are the parents doing these kids a favor by letting them transition at a younger age considering the frontal cortex isn't fully developed until 25? there are also plenty of stories of he then she then back to he again.. some kids, probably most are trying to find themselves at that age.
I think the argument is that (1) "changing your mind" (for lack of a better phrase) is pretty rare; and even if they were more common (2) puberty blockers don't have long term effects after they're done being used.

If a child uses puberty blockers, and after (x) time, they still maintain their gender identity, then they can do some kind of gender affirming treatment (i.e. estrogen/testosterone).  If the child uses puberty blockers and discovers that their gender matches their sex, they can stop taking the blockers and proceed through puberty naturally (albeit a little later than otherwise).

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 31, 2021, 01:48:56 PM »
not sure if it's clear to YLA but puberty suppression is not the same thing as gender transition.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 31, 2021, 01:51:37 PM »
yeah poor timing on the post but I was bringing that up separately.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 31, 2021, 01:53:06 PM »
British researchers are saying that Olympic level transgender female athletes need two full years of hormone therapy to eliminate sex based advantages, in the same/similar studies hormone advantage is seen as far as 36 months out. 

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2021/02/28/bjsports-2020-103106.long

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/current-treatment-period-may-be-too-short-to-remove-competitive-advantage-of-transgender-athletes/

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/07/study-suggests-ioc-adjustment-period-for-trans-women-may-be-too-short

If these studies are correct, it is reasonable to assume that trans female athletes have a potential substantial physiological advantage over their cisgendered counterparts for a protracted period of time.   So what do we tell cisgendered female athletes who lose to trans female athletes?   Suck it up?  Do better?  Train harder?   Parents of cisgendered athletes sit down and don't even pretend to protect your child's years of dedication and training or otherwise be labeled a transphobe?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 31, 2021, 02:52:54 PM »
yeah poor timing on the post but I was bringing that up separately.
Yeah whoops and i conflated transition/blockers in my response.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: March 31, 2021, 03:16:53 PM »
The olympics are 4 years apart (sometimes 5!). Who are these competitors that are able to qualify for female Olympic events without having transitioned for 36+ months?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 31, 2021, 03:18:10 PM »

I think they absolutely are when it comes to social transition. Medical transition should be (and is) more carefully considered but there is quite a bit of study supporting puberty suppression to give them more time. Still, most kids aren't trying to find their gender identity as adolescents/teens even if they are trying to "find themselves".

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 31, 2021, 03:29:29 PM »

I think they absolutely are when it comes to social transition. Medical transition should be (and is) more carefully considered but there is quite a bit of study supporting puberty suppression to give them more time. Still, most kids aren't trying to find their gender identity as adolescents/teens even if they are trying to "find themselves".
Could be the case, have their been studies on that? I could see a kid being confused with what sexually arouses them at that pivotal age maybe homosexual thoughts and then with thinking that way believing that they should've been born the other sex. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 31, 2021, 03:38:11 PM »
The olympics are 4 years apart (sometimes 5!). Who are these competitors that are able to qualify for female Olympic events without having transitioned for 36+ months?

Why do you think this is applicable only to Olympic athletes?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: March 31, 2021, 03:40:46 PM »

Could be the case, have their been studies on that? I could see a kid being confused with what sexually arouses them at that pivotal age maybe homosexual thoughts and then with thinking that way believing that they should've been born the other sex. 

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/trans-kids-socially-transition-study-529f34c1bb3b/

https://www.jaacap.org/article/S0890-8567%2816%2931941-4/fulltext

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 31, 2021, 03:55:39 PM »

I didn’t think there were other female sports where hormone levels were that closely scrutinized.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: March 31, 2021, 04:02:49 PM »

I didn’t think there were other female sports where hormone levels were that closely scrutinized.

In the non olympic cases there's obviously going to be an inherent physiological advantage.

So again, we're just telling cisgender females and their respective families to just sit down, shut up and do better?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: March 31, 2021, 04:52:17 PM »

https://archive.thinkprogress.org/trans-kids-socially-transition-study-529f34c1bb3b/

Man.. just socially transitioning for a kid sounds like it would be absolutely brutal. Kids can definitely be assholes, so can adults though I mean look at dax. From the looks at another study I looked at I'm sure most of these kids especially those born male have felt inadequate for most of their life.
The possible bone density and fertility issues with blockers is a little worrisome though.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: March 31, 2021, 05:25:10 PM »
I was thinking along the lines of kids transitioning/ kids in sports. The bathroom bill people I think are just plain ignorant of the consequence of what they’re asking for.

it's basically the same issue, but I think the youth sports focus is almost worse.

It's 100% the same issue and both involves a heavy dose of dehumanization. People who are allies should care enough about this issue to not allow bigotry against trans children and adults to be chalked up to indifference or simple ignorance. It's 2021, not 1981.

If someone were truly interested in the thoughts and feelings of trans people and those who love then, you can find all of the first hand accounts of the problems caused by anti trans rhetoric and legislation.

It's all about fear of others, periodt. Earlier in this thread I told the story of a trans man who spoke to the Iowa senate about the bathroom bill proposed here. The bill, required this person who presents and passes as a man, to use the girls bathroom at his daughters school. Now you would think if these people truly cared about children, like they say they do, they wouldn't want this to happen, nor would they want a woman using a boys bathroom. Nope, of course they didn't care, they powered right on. I'm certain that you'd find the same thing with 99% of people who support bills that don't allow trans people to live their lives, unbothered.

The idea of a trans person predating on a kid ina bathroom is just as far fetched as a trans child taking advantage of their gender to gain an advantage in a sport. That's a face, but facts don't matter when fear ave hatred drive your mindset.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: March 31, 2021, 05:33:40 PM »

Man.. just socially transitioning for a kid sounds like it would be absolutely brutal. Kids can definitely be assholes, so can adults though I mean look at dax.

yeah no crap. I think adults are probably worse because kids are assholes to all kids.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: March 31, 2021, 05:44:28 PM »

I didn't read the links rusty posted but I'm going to post personally about this. Anyone who has been on this board for more than about 20 minutes knows I talk about my kids, a lot. Many people on this board have met one or two of my children. What no one knows on this board, well until now, is that my oldest child have been struggling with her gender identity for a few years now. What I can tell you for a lock stock fact is that children with gender identity issues have no thoughts about sex or sexual attraction. It's about how they feel about themselves. I know this about my child and about other children with gender identity issues I've been around.

I've also told the story of the youngest transgender kid I've been around and it was a 6 year old boy, born a girl. I don't have that job anymore but I can tell you that kid, at least 6-10 years old, didn't have a single thought about who he was attracted to.

We don't know what's going to happen with our daughter. She was born our daughter and she remains our daughter, until she decides being our daughter isn't what she wants anymore. We have open communication with her, like the day she came home and told us she was androgynous and we had to explain to her what that means. She really didn't know, it was something one of her friends said.

The irony in all of this, especially with trans children is that our society's insistence on assigning gender roles to a kid, even before they are born, even with names, all of our kids have very gender specific names, certainly can't help kids when it comes to gender identity. We tell our kids how they should think and what they should like, is it any surprise that a kid who doesn't confirm to our norms is confused about who they are?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: March 31, 2021, 07:05:37 PM »

I didn't read the links rusty posted but I'm going to post personally about this. Anyone who has been on this board for more than about 20 minutes knows I talk about my kids, a lot. Many people on this board have met one or two of my children. What no one knows on this board, well until now, is that my oldest child have been struggling with her gender identity for a few years now. What I can tell you for a lock stock fact is that children with gender identity issues have no thoughts about sex or sexual attraction. It's about how they feel about themselves. I know this about my child and about other children with gender identity issues I've been around.

I've also told the story of the youngest transgender kid I've been around and it was a 6 year old boy, born a girl. I don't have that job anymore but I can tell you that kid, at least 6-10 years old, didn't have a single thought about who he was attracted to.

We don't know what's going to happen with our daughter. She was born our daughter and she remains our daughter, until she decides being our daughter isn't what she wants anymore. We have open communication with her, like the day she came home and told us she was androgynous and we had to explain to her what that means. She really didn't know, it was something one of her friends said.

The irony in all of this, especially with trans children is that our society's insistence on assigning gender roles to a kid, even before they are born, even with names, all of our kids have very gender specific names, certainly can't help kids when it comes to gender identity. We tell our kids how they should think and what they should like, is it any surprise that a kid who doesn't confirm to our norms is confused about who they are?

that's definitely tough. I highly recommend everyone read this thread (I think I've shared one of these before but it's very informative):

https://twitter.com/JesseThorn/status/1377287133921116160

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: March 31, 2021, 08:08:21 PM »

that's definitely tough. I highly recommend everyone read this thread (I think I've shared one of these before but it's very informative):

At 5, really? This is where I have a hard time. Kids at that age are very impressionable and a product a lot of the times of the environment they grow up in. Not saying that this kid might be trans at that age but holy crap

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: March 31, 2021, 08:15:24 PM »

At 5, really? This is where I have a hard time. Kids at that age are very impressionable and a product a lot of the times of the environment they grow up in. Not saying that this kid might be trans at that age but holy crap

why is it hard for you? It's typical.

The study findings revealed that 73% of the transgender women and 78% of the transgender men first experienced gender dysphoria by age 7.

The study authors also sought to compare the age of earliest general – non-gender-related – memories with the age of participants’ first gender dysphoria experiences. The study results showed that the mean age of the transgender women’s earliest general memory and first experience of gender dysphoria were 4.5 and 6.7 years, respectively. For transgender men they were 4.7 and 6.2 years, respectively.
“All of the study participants came to my clinic asking for surgery and every one of them said they experienced gender dysphoria around the same early age,” Garcia said. “What they experienced earlier in life was not a ‘passing phase,’ which is often suggested about transgender people seeking surgery. They knew exactly when their gender dysphoria started. It’s like asking about your mom’s birthdate – you just know it.”

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/most-gender-dysphoria-established-by-age-7-study-finds/

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: March 31, 2021, 08:32:43 PM »

why is it hard for you? It's typical.

The study findings revealed that 73% of the transgender women and 78% of the transgender men first experienced gender dysphoria by age 7.

The study authors also sought to compare the age of earliest general – non-gender-related – memories with the age of participants’ first gender dysphoria experiences. The study results showed that the mean age of the transgender women’s earliest general memory and first experience of gender dysphoria were 4.5 and 6.7 years, respectively. For transgender men they were 4.7 and 6.2 years, respectively.
“All of the study participants came to my clinic asking for surgery and every one of them said they experienced gender dysphoria around the same early age,” Garcia said. “What they experienced earlier in life was not a ‘passing phase,’ which is often suggested about transgender people seeking surgery. They knew exactly when their gender dysphoria started. It’s like asking about your mom’s birthdate – you just know it.”

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/newsroom/most-gender-dysphoria-established-by-age-7-study-finds/
I’m not trying to belittle this study but no crap.. most kids probably at that age had another kid of the other sex they idolized or for one reason or another thought life would be easier as a girl if even for an instance. (Yes I read the passing phase) so what does that really tell us anyway? Did there parents encourage them to follow through on it more, were they truly trans, what other factors could be involved?
It’s interesting for sure and I do like the open dialogue. You can’t also discount the people that have transitioned and the transitioned back while bringing this up imo. Tons of factors involved