Author Topic: Gender Issues  (Read 43231 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Issues
« Reply #275 on: May 10, 2016, 07:12:44 PM »
In that case, I think defining "attraction" on scale of 1-10 is more useful than binary classification.

maybe you should think about how you would use the data more carefully.

You are correct. Binary classification is probably the best way to prove that hypothesis.

Shame on me for not recognizing how silly a hypothesis it was sooner.

If you believe that hypothesis to be silly, then put forth your own hypothesis.  Be sure to choose a hypothesis that allows you to use the data you want to use (which is a backasswards way of doing it, but whatever).

I don't need to put forth a new hypothesis to recognize one is silly.

However, in this case:

the hypothesis, if we are being forced to have one, is that 90+% of male humans are 99+% homogeneous in the sex of other humans they are attracted to.

I think that if you don't attempt to prove homogeneity and instead grade all possible attractions on a sliding scale (that as far as I can tell, everyone agrees is present), you'd have far more interesting/useful results (even if the attractions are all from a single gender)

You could very well end up with similar results (90% of male humans are 99% homogeneous with regard to sexual preference), but you open up a lot of interesting possibilities that would unavailable in a binary classification. I still think grading on a 1-10 (or 1-7 scale) is an oversimplification, but it's better than "would you do her or not".

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 11, 2016, 12:22:46 PM »

fear seems like a pretty easy yes.  are you experiencing fear - yes/no.  even if you argue that we always experience some low level of fear, as long as it is possible to conceive of a complete lack of fear, then it can be classified in a binary format.

Is it possible to conceive of a human being in a state with a complete lack of fear of anything? Seems unlikely, hence the difficulty to gather useful data.

You don't think frequency or per event is useful data?  The divide between the binary option would be subjective but so would any continuous scale if you are talking about an emotional response.

In some cases it's definitely useful. I just think that when used to define human emotions/attractions, you unnecessarily eliminate a lot of data with binary classification compared to say, a 1-10 scale. Most have acknowledged that there can be different degrees of attractiveness, so why go backwards and insist on classifying it as binary?

Do you think that everyone would interpret the 1-10 scale the same, or does that not matter? JMO but if you are trying to get info from something as subjective as emotion, having something that is simpler is probably a better format than nuance in a survey format(self reported data).

Yes, I think everyone would interpret the 1-10 scale differently. I think everyone would interpret the yes/no cutoff differently as well, but you would also miss out on a lot of data regarding subtlety of emotions. For example, in a binary test of fear, a subject might say that neither a photo of a bunny nor a photo of a gun triggers the fear emotion. But on a 1-10 scale, the same person might give the gun a 3 and the bunny a 1. I think similar data would be useful in understanding the complexity and subjectivity of the emotion.

Maybe you try both and see which one is most consistent.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 11, 2016, 12:52:01 PM »
Why would people be scared of a photo? Are they supposed to be putting themselves into some thought experiment that involves the object in the photo?
It would be a thought experiment. "Does the object in the photo cause you to feel fear?" Or, "On a scale of 1-10, how much fear does the object in the photo cause you to feel?"

You could use the actual object or create m actual situation or whatever, but that doesn't really change my point regarding binary vs. a scale.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 11, 2016, 01:04:11 PM »
How would you format a survey with the goal of measuring/quantifying an emotion?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2016, 12:58:25 PM »
I honestly thought the point of the charts/graphs was to be confusing. Like, to make you go "Gee, maybe classifying people according to gender/sexual preference is way more complicated for anyone to coherently explain, so why even bother trying"?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 12, 2016, 01:04:13 PM »
I honestly thought the point of the charts/graphs was to be confusing. Like, to make you go "Gee, maybe classifying people according to gender/sexual preference is way more complicated for anyone to coherently explain, so why even bother trying"?

The point of the charts was to try to help people comprehend the thing that is hard to understand and not binary at all even though the charts can never fully encompass all the nuances involved in actual IRL human sexuality/ gender identity.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2016, 09:07:21 AM »

The point of the charts was to try to help people comprehend the thing that is hard to understand and not binary at all even though the charts can never fully encompass all the nuances involved in actual IRL human sexuality/ gender identity.
It is actually very easy to understand.  The problem with the charts is that, as we have established above and everyone now agrees with, 90+% of the population are not on the spectrum.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2016, 09:09:42 AM »

It is actually very easy to understand.  The problem with the charts is that, as we have established above and everyone now agrees with, 90+% of the population are not on the spectrum.

Why wouldn't they be on the spectrum? 99% or wherever you are saying they fall is on the spectrum.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 17, 2016, 02:35:19 PM »

Why wouldn't they be on the spectrum? 99% or wherever you are saying they fall is on the spectrum.
It is a poor representation, it gives the impression that the population is evenly distributed along the spectrum.  It is more accurate to have a statement accompanying the graphic to the effect of "95+% of the population are hetero- or homo- and the remainder fall onto the following spectrum"

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2016, 03:41:34 PM »

It is a poor representation, it gives the impression that the population is evenly distributed along the spectrum.  It is more accurate to have a statement accompanying the graphic to the effect of "95+% of the population are hetero- or homo- and the remainder fall onto the following spectrum"

I think what you want is a topographic plot with the more densely populated points on the spectrum shown at a higher elevation.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2016, 03:43:43 PM »

No it doesn't
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »

I think what you want is a topographic plot with the more densely populated points on the spectrum shown at a higher elevation.

Seems like a tool for discrimination, IMO.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 17, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »

Probably.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 17, 2016, 08:22:41 PM »
Apparently gender fluidity is the buzz in Canada.  Not sure how people move back and forth on gender of the mind.  I suppose its.like thinking I have horse rod.
Hot.damn I.am.a.women today.  I think I am.  I am bidding on a federal contract.  I am a woman owned business.  Welcome.to the gravy train.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:31:23 AM by renocat »

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 19, 2016, 06:36:50 AM »
Crap hailstones.  Everyone better get familiar with the term "gender fluidity".  If I wasn't on a dang phone, I would copy and paste.  I hope someone does.  This will sure tell where you stand on the political gauge.  I could be persuaded tbat locals should have to.accommodate a kid that is truly and consistently has a mind gender complex.  But this fluid crap is a big pile of dog Hilary.  We can't let this be shoved down our throats.  Turning this around will take more than an executive order.  This is a regulation.  Once you enact this, a right has been given and it ain't easy to change.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 26, 2017, 09:50:55 PM »
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/kansas-state-university-class-gender-is-not-determined-by-chromosomes/article/2644162
Professor Genna Reeves-DeArmond shared several messages about the construct of gender in her “Dress and Human Behavior” class. According to one powerpoint slide, obtained by Red Alert Politics, gender is a spectrum; gender is a range of expression; gender is how you relate to yourself; gender is a personal identity; gender is not just male or female; gender is not defined by body parts; gender is not sexual orientation; gender is not determined by chromosomes.

Do they teach in the College of Ag that a bull can think he is a cow?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 09:55:49 PM by renocat »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 02, 2019, 08:06:24 AM »

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 02, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 22, 2019, 02:06:57 PM »
That's a well known fake story.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 22, 2019, 02:20:29 PM »
That's a well known fake story.
Well known to who?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 22, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
I'll defer to lifesitenews.com on these things until you prove yourself Institutional Control

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 22, 2019, 02:32:18 PM »
I'll defer to lifesitenews.com on these things until you prove yourself Institutional Control
They seem pretty dedicated to fake newsing it if so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFYE6zbI-nU&feature=youtu.be

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 22, 2019, 02:43:29 PM »
There is a an actual custody hearing. And the father is going around telling everyone that his son is going to be forced to be castrated.  However, the mother's side is saying this is not true. Both parents have a weird history of telling stories.  There are no actual court documents available to back up the father's claim. The dad is begging for money for legal fees, so you decide.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 22, 2019, 02:45:18 PM »
So not that well known of a fake story then. Got it! And they're actually in court over this stuff? Woof!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 03:45:16 PM by 420seriouscat69 »