Author Topic: Gender Issues  (Read 43216 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Gender Issues
« Reply #250 on: May 10, 2016, 01:27:05 AM »
fear seems like a pretty easy yes.  are you experiencing fear - yes/no.  even if you argue that we always experience some low level of fear, as long as it is possible to conceive of a complete lack of fear, then it can be classified in a binary format.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 10, 2016, 08:09:27 AM »
fear seems like a pretty easy yes.  are you experiencing fear - yes/no.  even if you argue that we always experience some low level of fear, as long as it is possible to conceive of a complete lack of fear, then it can be classified in a binary format.
Made even more easy to determine when you add a specific object of the emotion- are you experiencing fear of heights? yes/no. 
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 10, 2016, 08:33:36 AM »
You can force almost anything into a binary format.  That doesn't make it the most accurate way to classify it.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 10, 2016, 08:55:00 AM »
I don't think anyone said that binary was the most accurate.  It is the simplest, though.  And it seems as if we are trying to simply something that some people find rather complicated.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 10, 2016, 08:58:26 AM »

Is it possible to conceive of a human being in a state with a complete lack of fear of anything? Seems unlikely, hence the difficulty to gather useful data.

You can force almost anything into a binary format.  That doesn't make it the most accurate way to classify it.

Yes, this is a big part of what I'm getting at.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 10, 2016, 09:15:47 AM »
I don't think anyone said that binary was the most accurate.  It is the simplest, though.  And it seems as if we are trying to simply something that some people find rather complicated.

You guys are going for simplicity and Michigancat is going for accuracy.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 10, 2016, 09:38:38 AM »

You guys are going for simplicity and Michigancat is going for accuracy.

No michigan is going for obfuscation.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 10, 2016, 09:40:37 AM »

Is it possible to conceive of a human being in a state with a complete lack of fear of anything? Seems unlikely, hence the difficulty to gather useful data.

You don't think frequency or per event is useful data?  The divide between the binary option would be subjective but so would any continuous scale if you are talking about an emotional response.

In some cases it's definitely useful. I just think that when used to define human emotions/attractions, you unnecessarily eliminate a lot of data with binary classification compared to say, a 1-10 scale. Most have acknowledged that there can be different degrees of attractiveness, so why go backwards and insist on classifying it as binary?

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 10, 2016, 01:31:41 PM »

You don't think frequency or per event is useful data?  The divide between the binary option would be subjective but so would any continuous scale if you are talking about an emotional response.

In some cases it's definitely useful. I just think that when used to define human emotions/attractions, you unnecessarily eliminate a lot of data with binary classification compared to say, a 1-10 scale. Most have acknowledged that there can be different degrees of attractiveness, so why go backwards and insist on classifying it as binary?
In this case we are testing the proposed hypothesis and the method is definitely the most appropriate.  The data that is excluded is not important to the testing of the hypothesis. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 10, 2016, 01:47:36 PM »

In this case we are testing the proposed hypothesis and the method is definitely the most appropriate.  The data that is excluded is not important to the testing of the hypothesis. 

which hypothesis, exactly?

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 10, 2016, 01:50:01 PM »

Also good to see you are coming around.  Previously you were not sure how to tell if you were sexually attracted and now you not only admit you can, but you can rate the intensity on a scale of 1-10.  Progress!

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 10, 2016, 01:52:10 PM »

which hypothesis, exactly?
It is stated above.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 10, 2016, 01:53:31 PM »
:rolleyes:

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 10, 2016, 02:16:37 PM »
You have been doing this for 4 days and you don't even know what you are arguing about?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #264 on: May 10, 2016, 02:17:50 PM »
The hypothesis (if I recall correctly) is that there is no gender (and possibly sexual orientation) spectrum.   

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 10, 2016, 02:49:44 PM »
You have been doing this for 4 days and you don't even know what you are arguing about?
I don't know what specific hypothesis YOU are referring to. It hasn't exactly been a linear discussion.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 10, 2016, 03:22:19 PM »
the hypothesis, if we are being forced to have one, is that 90+% of male humans are 99+% homogeneous in the sex of other humans they are attracted to.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 10, 2016, 03:49:20 PM »
the hypothesis, if we are being forced to have one, is that 90+% of male humans are 99+% homogeneous in the sex of other humans they are attracted to.

In that case, I think defining "attraction" on scale of 1-10 is more useful than binary classification.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 10, 2016, 03:52:36 PM »
In that case, I think defining "attraction" on scale of 1-10 is more useful than binary classification.

maybe you should think about how you would use the data more carefully.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 10, 2016, 04:05:36 PM »

By putting it on a spectrum like the one I posted, but maybe a slightly different one. Also, I think a 7 point scale would be better, obv.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 10, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »
By putting it on a spectrum like the one I posted, but maybe a slightly different one. Also, I think a 7 point scale would be better, obv.

that would be using different data to confront a different (as of yet unspecified) hypothesis.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 10, 2016, 04:23:09 PM »

You are correct. Binary classification is probably the best way to prove that hypothesis.

Shame on me for not recognizing how silly a hypothesis it was sooner.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 10, 2016, 04:28:39 PM »

You are correct. Binary classification is probably the best way to prove that hypothesis.

This hypothesis seems like something you should present on John Oliver's new TODD talks.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 10, 2016, 04:35:30 PM »

If you believe that hypothesis to be silly, then put forth your own hypothesis.  Be sure to choose a hypothesis that allows you to use the data you want to use (which is a backasswards way of doing it, but whatever).

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 10, 2016, 05:25:50 PM »
Is.this negative fall out from climate Change?