Author Topic: Eating less food (kind of like a diet but not eating healthy)  (Read 12330 times)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
Re: Eating less food (kind of like a diet but not eating healthy)
« Reply #75 on: May 10, 2010, 06:01:19 PM »
I'm not saying fasting is terrible, but it's not good, either.

If you fast, you aren't giving your body the nutrients it needs. Your body will breakdown muscle tissue for energy. Then you will lose muscle. Then you are just fat. Your metabolism will get screwed up if you do this routinely.

Incorrect.  All false.  If you can prove any of this, i'll buy you a KATPAK.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2010, 06:02:29 PM »
Fasting isn't going to last past 30 days.

Do you mean consecutively?  :dunno:
Yeah fasting for 30 days isn't a great idea but it's do-able.

I'm talking once or twice a week, eat your meal at 6:00 pm and fast until the next 6:00 pm.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2010, 06:20:53 PM »

If you fast, you aren't giving your body the nutrients it needs. Your body will breakdown muscle tissue for energy. Then you will lose muscle. Then you are just fat. Your metabolism will get screwed up if you do this routinely.

I always thought it was common knowledge/obvious.

But what the heck, you seem pretty adamant. I'll take your word for it.  :thumbsup:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2010, 06:24:52 PM »

But what the heck, you seem pretty adamant. I'll take your word for it.  :thumbsup:
It's just one of those things that if it gets repeated enough people will believe it, especially if said by a nutritional supplement company...trying to sell you more of their product.  No $$$ is made by anyone promoting fasting, and the only way you will lose muscle is if you don't use them.  The metabolism thing is another common myth.  Your BMR only changes when you lose weight/gain weight.

Or of course starve yourself over a long period of time, which isn't what fasting is about.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2010, 06:30:36 PM »

It's just one of those things that if it gets repeated enough people will believe it, especially if said by a nutritional supplement company...trying to sell you more of their product.  No $$$ is made by anyone promoting fasting, and the only way you will lose muscle is if you don't use them.  The metabolism thing is another common myth.  Your BMR only changes when you lose weight/gain weight.

Or of course starve yourself over a long period of time, which isn't what fasting is about.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2010, 06:36:14 PM »
 :users:

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 10, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »

what is your definition of fasting?
I'm purple down

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 10, 2010, 06:43:04 PM »

what is your definition of fasting?

Willingly abstaining from food for health and/or religious reasons.

I do a day at a time.  I eat a meal around 6:00 pm, then don't eat until the next day at 6:00 pm.  Some people like to go longer.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #83 on: May 10, 2010, 06:48:20 PM »
Poor Hemmy. He came to get help and instead he has found an enabler.

I will make one more recommendation to you Hemmy. I suggest that you give sprinting a try. Saul might disagree with this, but I have never seen a fat sprinter before. There is a reason for this. If you sprint for even 20 minutes (interval training), you will burn more than 500 calories. The real benefit, though, comes afterward. It will take your body several hours to recover, and to do this, your body will need to take in more oxygen. You need oxygen to burn fat.

So, while you might normally burn 2 calories per minute, now you might be burning 4 or 5 calories per minute afterward. Now multiply that out over two or three (or four) hours. This will benefit you.

Until Saul says I'm wrong.  :bawl:

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 10, 2010, 06:50:31 PM »
Stick your finger down your throat and throw up...seems easy to me :dunno:
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2010, 06:53:27 PM »
Any form of cardiovascular exercise is good.  High intensity interval training is great, burns a shitload of calories.

But the reason you don't see fat sprinters is because fat people can't sprint for a very long time without getting winded, or destroying their shins and/or knees...so they give up.  

I say work your way up to being able to run.  I'm doing the "couch to 5k" thing and it seems effective, although i'm only on week 3 (of 9).  

Only part I take issue with is you don't mention weight training.  Weight training is arguably more effective than cardiovascular exercise for time you put in and how many calories you burn.  Plus you build muscle, which naturally raises your RMR (although very slightly).  

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #86 on: May 10, 2010, 07:02:48 PM »
You build muscle through weight training, yes, but also by eating right.

You seem to suggest that you can't lose muscle once you gain it. I think that's what Larry David was confused about. You made it seem like once you have it, you can't lose it.

And then you rambled on about fasting, which doesn't help with long-term weight loss and really has no use in this conversation unless you are Mahatma Gandhi or one of those "other" religions. :grin:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 10, 2010, 07:08:57 PM »
Naw, you can lose muscle...but generally only by not training them, or by starving yourself.

I don't see how fasting can't help with long-term weight loss.  It is ridiculously easy and flexible, and does not have any negative effects.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2010, 07:10:07 PM »
I have been going for more than a week.  Also, only currently have time for 2 insanity workouts per week, until finals are over then I can workout every day.

Gtfoomf, losers.

Offline Sal Paradise

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 10, 2010, 10:35:26 PM »
I have been going for more than a week.  Also, only currently have time for 2 insanity workouts per week, until finals are over then I can workout every day.

Gtfoomf, losers.

You should just GTL every day this summer.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2010, 04:31:44 PM »
Warm up your registered dietitians, mother frackers!!

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2010, 08:58:32 PM »
Finally got my lawn mower running :cool:  Too dark to mow atm, however.