Author Topic: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?  (Read 95083 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?
« Reply #775 on: August 18, 2020, 07:04:58 PM »
What’s your definition of fuel efficient?  They all get 30+ highway. Or are you looking for hybrid-like efficiency?

I’ve all but decided to get a Forester and have been emailing dealers.  I’m not convinced some of these guys actually want to sell a car.  One local place can’t figure out which cars they actually have on the lot and then can’t find the keys for some that are sitting there.  Another place told me they don’t send quotes in writing.

i'd like 40 hwy for a suv/crossover.  much below that and i start thinking a sedan (50) might be the better option for me.

i went to a suburu dealer to try sitting in a crosstrek and an outback.  i wandered around looking at the cars for like 15 minutes waiting for a salesman to ask me what i wanted and no one did so i left.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: August 18, 2020, 07:10:03 PM »
i've watched an insane number of car review videos over the last month or so.  it's amazing how much i know about 2020 model cars now.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: August 18, 2020, 07:45:18 PM »
i plan on hammering a hole in the new bronco fuel tank when it shows up and possibly disconnecting the fuel line if needed

Oh my god those are legit pussy wagons.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: August 18, 2020, 07:56:28 PM »
i wandered around looking at the cars for like 15 minutes waiting for a salesman to ask me what i wanted and no one did so i left.

I went to a bunch of dealerships recently and most of the cars were unlocked.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: August 18, 2020, 08:09:10 PM »
Most are unlocked during business hours.  My problem with going to a lot to look at vehicles is how fast I get hit up by salesmen.  This may be due to the fact that I dress nice and of course as a K-State boomer they know I'm loaded.  :bigtoke: :kstategrad:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #780 on: August 18, 2020, 08:18:55 PM »
Most are unlocked during business hours.  My problem with going to a lot to look at vehicles is how fast I get hit up by salesmen.  This may be due to the fact that I dress nice and of course as a K-State boomer they know I'm loaded.  :bigtoke: :kstategrad:

the suburu dealership was the only one i've gone to where a salesman didn't find me pretty quick.  maybe they have some ethic about low-pressure sales or something, dunno.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: August 18, 2020, 08:51:54 PM »
I reserved a Bronco last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: August 18, 2020, 09:04:55 PM »
I reserved a Bronco last week.

i reserved mine on the day they were announced and hope I take delivery in 2021.  heard recently they were up to 170k reservations, not all of which will turn into actual orders but I would definitely expect your order to be built in 2022.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: August 18, 2020, 09:23:30 PM »
2022 will be fine with me.  I have 12 more payments on my F150 and I would like to feel what it’s like to not a have a car payment for the first time since college. At least for a few months.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 18, 2020, 10:06:34 PM »

the suburu dealership was the only one i've gone to where a salesman didn't find me pretty quick.  maybe they have some ethic about low-pressure sales or something, dunno.

Between this and the dog, the entire subaru experience sounds fantastic.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 19, 2020, 03:12:54 AM »
Ford Transit Connect

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #786 on: August 19, 2020, 04:49:23 AM »
Ford Transit Connect
Seats are crap. Not good for trip over an hour.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: August 19, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »

My son and I went to suburu about two yrs. ago.  They thought they had a for sure sale, since my son was driving an outback rental.  He had wrecked his pickup and this is what the insurance company gave him.  They let us test drive a forester and that was about all he wanted to look at.  Tried to negotiate a deal and the most we could get was a $1,000 off.  This was in August and typically a time when dealers will offer the most discounts for the year end cars.  They are very proud of their vehicles and bragged on how efficient, longevity, and high resale.  We basically said eff this bullshit and ended up buying an American made truck for over $15 grand off.     
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: August 19, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »
 :lol:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: August 19, 2020, 09:55:44 PM »
i think i'm going to wait a while and see if the kia sorento hybrid gets released before my car craps out.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: August 22, 2020, 01:46:56 PM »
I’ve all but decided to get a Forester and have been emailing dealers.  I’m not convinced some of these guys actually want to sell a car.  One local place can’t figure out which cars they actually have on the lot and then can’t find the keys for some that are sitting there.  Another place told me they don’t send quotes in writing.  I’m probably going to end up flying to CoSprings or Omaha to a high volume dealer and driving  home.

I think I’m down to Omaha, CoSprings, and Reno.  Have any of you guys ever traveled that far for a car?  It seems stupid but the local guys are $2000+ higher and have no interest in getting close.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: August 22, 2020, 01:55:19 PM »
Yeah, I’ve purchased vehicles in Omaha. AMA

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: August 22, 2020, 01:59:33 PM »
Mocat, run these numbers.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: August 22, 2020, 02:00:57 PM »

What attractions exist there right now that could justify trader's trip?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: August 22, 2020, 02:02:06 PM »

But have you purchased vehicles in Cheyenne or Milwaukee?

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: August 22, 2020, 02:03:12 PM »

Yes, this is what I need to know.  Are any of the airports worth seeing?  Any must have brews that I can smuggle home?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?
« Reply #796 on: August 22, 2020, 02:06:52 PM »

Zoo is open. My kid has a double header in baseball Sunday he’s welcome to attend. Zipline is making some good beers these days. Up In The Air filmed scenes at the airport.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: August 22, 2020, 02:21:18 PM »
tdaver, this whole thing sounds ridiculous but I think you know that.  Flying sucks right now.  Long necessary driving sucks right now.  Everything's inconvenient.  In my experience, you get better service from a dealer you bought the car from than you would your local subaru dealer you spurned, if you'd be getting service from a dealer.  I'd guess there could be some extra hoops to jump through with registration after buying out of state.

But if you're compelled to save $2K less expenses of the trip, don't pick the nearest places or even a destination place you're intrigued by.  Pick based off what you want your first leisure road trip to be that will double as you having to drive home.

And you should probably transport something to further tip the scales in your favor, either as a good deed or for profit.  Maybe adopt or facilitate the adoption of a dog from a place that's overburdened and bring the dog back to your town.  Or take advantage of the post office being decimated and try to get people along the route to pay you to deliver things.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: August 22, 2020, 02:32:09 PM »
i bought my 4runner (used) in slc and my elantra in san jose, so i'm obviously fine with buying out of area.  but, unless suburu does things totally different, your local dealers are not a static pricing situation.  the brand incentives change all the time and dealerships often have quotas that they have to meet within a given time frame to receive payments from the brand that will make them more or less motivated to sell a vehicle.  a dealer that laughs at your offer today may be perfectly happy to sell you the same car at that price in a week or a month.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: August 22, 2020, 02:32:37 PM »
Seems obvious but just get something used locally