Author Topic: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?  (Read 95200 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?
« Reply #675 on: July 19, 2020, 04:46:20 PM »
yeah, hyundai/kia seems to be fairly well regarded on most vehicles (i'm somewhat loyal based on my elantra, which has treated me very well).  the telluride/palisade is bigger than i want and i think they're less likely to get a '21 hybrid than the sorento/santa fes.

hyundai at least also almost always has among the most front legroom in any given vehicle class.  not positive if kia follows suit.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 19, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
yeah, hyundai/kia seems to be fairly well regarded on most vehicles (i'm somewhat loyal based on my elantra, which has treated me very well).  the telluride/palisade is bigger than i want and i think they're less likely to get a '21 hybrid than the sorento/santa fes.

hyundai at least also almost always has among the most front legroom in any given vehicle class.  not positive if kia follows suit.

looks like 41" for the telluride

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 19, 2020, 04:54:58 PM »
looks like 41" for the telluride

wow, that sucks.  the palisade has 44".
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 19, 2020, 09:08:00 PM »
I have an uncle who's probably take than sys and really likes the Porsche suv's

i don't think i'm going to drive a porsche on job sites.

What about this?  It's HOT AF and I would buy in a heartbeat if I had $90k just laying around

https://www.baronbmw.com/inventory/new-2020-bmw-x5-m50i-all-wheel-drive-suv-5uxju4c03l9c57280

My financial advisor who is 28 wants to get one of these.  He drives an Accord right now and it only a few yrs old, but he's been in a few accidents with it.  He likes his Accord but think's it will be more valuable for trade in with the low miles he has on it.  He told me that even thou the BMW is hot AF, the insurance rate is lower since it is in the family car/SUV class.  He works and lives in Dallas, so he needs a responsive car to commute to/from work.  DBT, thanks for the link cause now I know what he was talking about.   BTW, that dealership is aggressive; as soon as I clicked on the site a pop up requested my location and offered to chat.

garbage. the X5 peaked with the first gen.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 19, 2020, 09:17:27 PM »

What about this?  It's HOT AF and I would buy in a heartbeat if I had $90k just laying around

https://www.baronbmw.com/inventory/new-2020-bmw-x5-m50i-all-wheel-drive-suv-5uxju4c03l9c57280

My financial advisor who is 28 wants to get one of these.  He drives an Accord right now and it only a few yrs old, but he's been in a few accidents with it.  He likes his Accord but think's it will be more valuable for trade in with the low miles he has on it.  He told me that even thou the BMW is hot AF, the insurance rate is lower since it is in the family car/SUV class.  He works and lives in Dallas, so he needs a responsive car to commute to/from work.  DBT, thanks for the link cause now I know what he was talking about.   BTW, that dealership is aggressive; as soon as I clicked on the site a pop up requested my location and offered to chat.

Can confirm that puni is wrong.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 19, 2020, 09:22:14 PM »

If I was to get one, it would have to be top of the line and used.  I can't afford to fork over 90K on a SUV.   Also, my WA can afford one since he made over four hundred grand on stock investments last year.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 19, 2020, 09:31:39 PM »
If I'm buying a BMW M, I want manual transmission. Seems like an overpowered Soccer Mom SUV.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 19, 2020, 09:37:25 PM »
If I'm buying a BMW M, I want manual transmission. Seems like an overpowered Soccer Mom SUV.

I'm pretty sure any BMW from the past ~15 years that is automatic can be switched to a paddle manual shift.  It's a little funky because there is not clutch but it still gives you the option.

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 19, 2020, 10:05:35 PM »

I'm pretty sure any BMW from the past ~15 years that is automatic can be switched to a paddle manual shift.  It's a little funky because there is not clutch but it still gives you the option.

Most of those types of cars have a dbl clutch transmission, which are manual.  This type of transmission does not need an operator to engage a clutch for them to shift due to the way they operate.  They are computer controlled with one clutch disengaging a gear as the other one engages next gear.  These are faster at shifting and also save gas.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 19, 2020, 10:09:35 PM »

Most of those types of cars have a dbl clutch transmission, which are manual.  This type of transmission does not need an operator to engage a clutch for them to shift due to the way they operate.  They are computer controlled with one clutch disengaging a gear as the other one engages next gear.  These are faster at shifting and also save gas.

Can confirm.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 19, 2020, 10:35:38 PM »
If I'm buying that much motor meat, the fewer friends who are capable of operating it the better.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 19, 2020, 10:47:59 PM »
If I'm buying that much motor meat, the fewer friends who are capable of operating it the better.

Up until my last 2 cars I have only owned manual cars.  So I get it.  I do miss the thrill of unnecessarily going up to 6k rpm because you need as much juice as possible for that brief period.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 19, 2020, 11:10:07 PM »
my last two M cars have been dual clutch.  you know a lot of purists look down on them but they’re incredibly fun to drive, I never drive in automatic mode.  always shift with the paddles

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 19, 2020, 11:22:03 PM »
Need to replace my legacy soon.  Would love to go with a 4Runner/Bronco type for the 1-2 times a year I might actually need it, but can’t justify it for a daily commuter.  Also I really don’t want anything longer or wider then the current vehicle for garage space.  AWD is a must and probably small suv instead of sedan so that I can throw the dog in the back.  I feel like I’m pigeonholed into the Forester/RAV4/CRV segment and all its stereotypes.  I’m sure there’s some higher end options, but I’m cheap and don’t care about driving something nicer.   :dunno:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 20, 2020, 01:37:01 AM »
I feel like I’m pigeonholed into the Forester/RAV4/CRV segment and all its stereotypes.

the good news is that a lot of automakers are coming out with pretty efficient hybrids now or next year in that section of the market.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: July 20, 2020, 08:11:06 AM »

I feel like I’m pigeonholed into the Forester/RAV4/CRV segment and all its stereotypes.

the good news is that a lot of automakers are coming out with pretty efficient hybrids now or next year in that section of the market.

Also they're pretty great.

Tdaver could also get a station wagon.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 21, 2020, 02:23:13 AM »

Also they're pretty great.

Tdaver could also get a station wagon.

Does any auto manufacture make them anymore?  Last one I seen was about 12 years ago.  It was a Taurus X : https://www.cars.com/research/ford-taurus_x-2008/           

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 21, 2020, 06:34:09 AM »
Audi, Volvo, Subaru all make them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 21, 2020, 08:02:33 AM »
My neighbor has a fairly new BMW wagon.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 21, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »
I work with someome from Germany ( ;)) who drives a VW station wagon. She says that, unlike Americans, Europeans love station wagons, which seems corroborated by the above manufacturers.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 21, 2020, 08:28:28 AM »
What made me think of it is that in Oregon mountains last week I saw like a late 90's/early 2000's Mercedes Benz wagon with a bike rack and thought "that's not something you see too often"

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 21, 2020, 08:29:15 AM »
I work with someome from Germany ( ;)) who drives a VW station wagon. She says that, unlike Americans, Europeans love station wagons, which seems corroborated by the above manufacturers.
My next door neighbor is German and drives a VW station wagon

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 21, 2020, 09:08:04 AM »
Wagons are great! They have as much, or more, storage space as SUV's.  With AWD, they also do just as well in the snow or off road (except the idiots that claim to do rock crawling but do it like once, maybe twice ever).  However, wagons don't make your genitals look larger.  So, Americans cannot drive them.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 21, 2020, 09:22:32 AM »
I looked it up and Buick also sells one but it looks like VW is no longer selling one

https://www.caranddriver.com/buick/regal-tourx

and man those new volvo wagons look really nice.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #699 on: July 21, 2020, 09:34:09 AM »
Big fan of the Volvo wagon and crossover.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk