Author Topic: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?  (Read 95127 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?
« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »
Why don't they just make normal seats that fit kids. So weird
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2017, 01:15:46 PM »
the rules in kansas now are that you kid has to be in a car seat until they're like 12 or something kind of redicu

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2017, 01:19:05 PM »
I drive a 2003 Toyota Camry XLE with 235k on it.  Still runs great. 

Kid "stole" my 2011 Camry. The '03 is a better car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My brother had a 04 Camry XLE and he put a trailer hitch on it. Pulled a trailer around a couple of times a month for about 7 years.

Eventually the engine gave out while pulling that trailer going up a hill on the interstate....245k miles.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2017, 01:20:09 PM »
Currently driving an 03 Impala (~200k miles) and am looking to upgrade in April. Narrowed it down to:

2017 - GMC Acadia
2017 - Cadillac XT5
2017 - Buick Enclave

I'm leaning toward the XT5 currently, but the wife is worried about the reduced seating capacity between it and the Buick/GMC.

Thoughts? Experiences?

We have an Acadia, what a rough ridin' boat.  Hard to see behind or on either side, a real bitch to park, sluggish handling, driving with the windows down creates this thumping from the airflow around the vehicle which will give you a headache.  Other than that, nice ride.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2017, 01:36:00 PM »
I drive a 2003 Toyota Camry XLE with 235k on it.  Still runs great. 

Kid "stole" my 2011 Camry. The '03 is a better car.

My brother had a 04 Camry XLE and he put a trailer hitch on it. Pulled a trailer around a couple of times a month for about 7 years.

Eventually the engine gave out while pulling that trailer going up a hill on the interstate....245k miles.

Pretty good for pulling a trailer around. 

My other car is a 2008 Honda Pilot.  Pretty decent ride.  It has 135k miles. 

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2017, 02:11:25 PM »
Let's talk about why the Q7 is the current front runner for the steve dave shitloads of kids hauler around'er and sd daily driver also.

A) three rows. I only have 2 kids (and only ever will) but sometimes have like a babysitter or family member to drive around as well.
B) 2nd row is big. less kicking my seat from this 3 year old that's the size of a massive 5 year old with long kicking legs.
C) looks cool. not like a jumbo SUV that looks like a pickup truck. more like an embiggen'd station wagon
D) has like technology out the ass and a good stereo and crap
E) feels fancy AF when you sit in it
F) built in sun shades in the second row

The price is shockingly reasonable

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2017, 02:15:14 PM »
the rules in kansas now are that you kid has to be in a car seat until they're like 12 or something kind of redicu

Yeah, kids in like 6th or 7th grade are riding around in car seats.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2017, 02:15:32 PM »
Let's talk about why the Q7 is the current front runner for the steve dave shitloads of kids hauler around'er and sd daily driver also.

A) three rows. I only have 2 kids (and only ever will) but sometimes have like a babysitter or family member to drive around as well.
B) 2nd row is big. less kicking my seat from this 3 year old that's the size of a massive 5 year old with long kicking legs.
C) looks cool. not like a jumbo SUV that looks like a pickup truck. more like an embiggen'd station wagon

The price is shockingly reasonable

I KNOW!

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 27, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »
pretty soon i'm going to trade in my M3 for an M2, very excited.  the feisty thing about it is that when i purchase the M2 i will never even have test driven one and chances are i will not have seen the vehicle i'm buying in person.  #internetofthings

If you are all :kstategrad: have you considered euro delivery?

do not want

¿Por qué?

it's really not an option.  the model is sold out and i'm going to end up buying from a dealer with in stock inventory.  euro delivery is set up during the ordering process.  also, i'm just not that big of a car dork.

I think I'm just wired a bit differently.  If I was going to go for a performance car like that, especially for the coin, I'd rather order it. And a chance to then drive it on the autobahn?  Man that just sounds fantastic.  I'm sure you'll enjoy a nicely equipped one from the dealer, not like you can order a stripped down M (aside from the lol track car m4 gts).  Are you in KC going through Baron?  I've walked around there a couple times and they've had a great mix of real enthusiast dealers. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 27, 2017, 03:40:56 PM »
pretty soon i'm going to trade in my M3 for an M2, very excited.  the feisty thing about it is that when i purchase the M2 i will never even have test driven one and chances are i will not have seen the vehicle i'm buying in person.  #internetofthings

If you are all :kstategrad: have you considered euro delivery?

do not want

¿Por qué?

it's really not an option.  the model is sold out and i'm going to end up buying from a dealer with in stock inventory.  euro delivery is set up during the ordering process.  also, i'm just not that big of a car dork.

I think I'm just wired a bit differently.  If I was going to go for a performance car like that, especially for the coin, I'd rather order it. And a chance to then drive it on the autobahn?  Man that just sounds fantastic.  I'm sure you'll enjoy a nicely equipped one from the dealer, not like you can order a stripped down M (aside from the lol track car m4 gts).  Are you in KC going through Baron?  I've walked around there a couple times and they've had a great mix of real enthusiast dealers. 

no, not baron.  they had a couple of preorders that were sold like a year before production began.  you can't order these cars is my point, the line is beyond production estimates the last time i checked, which is to say sometime in 2018 would be my delivery date.
there's so few options available on the m2 that most that are hitting dealers are fully equipped.  more than likely i will get mine from a bmw dealer in california and just have them ship it sight unseen

mrs clams did order her porsche that way though, it took like 6 months to be built and delivered but porsche is a different beast and you can spec those things out for days.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 27, 2017, 04:31:08 PM »

I am just now starting to look at SUVs in this style.  Is the 20-25 MPG good for these kinds of cars?  Also, I'm assuming makes like Audi are a pain to get serviced.  Am I wrong?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 27, 2017, 05:07:11 PM »
Why would it be a pain to get serviced?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 27, 2017, 05:30:06 PM »
Just if the parts are more proprietary/expensive and if an average mechanic doesn't typically deal with it (making you go through the dealer for everything).  I assume this is the case with most foreign luxury brands but I've never actually owned one myself.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 27, 2017, 05:36:21 PM »
ms tobias' old pos vw was a beating to have in nck, don't miss that at all

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 27, 2017, 05:55:25 PM »
Just if the parts are more proprietary/expensive and if an average mechanic doesn't typically deal with it (making you go through the dealer for everything).  I assume this is the case with most foreign luxury brands but I've never actually owned one myself.

U just take it to the dealer.  if it breaks, it's covered by warranty.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 27, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »
I take every car I've ever owned to the dealer for everything. I'm not taking my sled to some POS jiffy lube.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 27, 2017, 09:29:21 PM »

I am just now starting to look at SUVs in this style.  Is the 20-25 MPG good for these kinds of cars?  Also, I'm assuming makes like Audi are a pain to get serviced.  Am I wrong?
low 20s highway and mid teens city is about best case for the typical 3 row SUV with a V6 and all wheel drive.  there are a few Diesels from the Germans and the Volvo and Toyota hybrids that might do a bit better.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 27, 2017, 11:15:55 PM »
Literally the biggest eff ups I've ever experienced when trying to maintain a car were at dealerships. 

Brand new Honda Prelude: Opps, sorry we forgot to refill the oil.   

Brand New Fully Loaded Nissan Maxima:   Sorry we had a recall on air bags and then didn't put the steering wheel back on right. 

Brand New Ford Explorer (V8 and loaded):   Sorry we messed up your AWD and traction control. 

Brand New Honda Pilot:  Sorry we messed up your TPMS

Brand New Volvo C70 Convertible:  Opps, sorry we messed up your roof mechanism

:facepalm:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 27, 2017, 11:28:13 PM »
Same here.  Actually just paid $700+ for a bunch of routine maintenance at the dealer and when I opened the trunk I saw loose screws just sitting in the bottom of it.  Couldn't be bothered to actually screw them back in.

Plus, I love being able to take my car to a reputable local (competent) mechanic who I can actually trust to tell me what needs fixing and who is completely up front about costs.  I've never experienced that level of trust at a dealer.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 28, 2017, 08:05:32 AM »

U just take it to the dealer.  if it breaks, it's covered by warranty.
This is correct. Buy the extended warranty upfront. Trade in when warranty ends. Rinse and Repeat. They can't eff you on service when they are footing the bill.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 28, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »
My wife's Honda Accord had to have the upper block replaced because it was burning oil.  Only like 100k miles.  eff Honda right now.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 28, 2017, 09:09:10 AM »
My wife's Honda Accord had to have the upper block replaced because it was burning oil.  Only like 100k miles.  eff Honda right now.
probably should've taken a little better care of it
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:42:52 AM by yoga-like_abana »

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?
« Reply #272 on: February 28, 2017, 09:31:25 AM »
Well, troll noted, but she takes it to Honda every 5k and she drives like a lady.  She takes very good care of her car.  This is a known issue, you should Google it.  Honda covered 90% of the cost but we're now 1000+ miles since the fix and it's still burning oil, about a liter every 1000 miles.  They can't figure it out. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 28, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »
How often does she take it to honda?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 28, 2017, 09:47:19 AM »
may begin to experience higher than normal oil consumption if they have regularly been revved hard with a cold engine using low-quality gas

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/05/honda-accord-cr-v-warranties-extended-for-excess-oil-consumption/index.htm

sounds like mrs emo....