Author Topic: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?  (Read 95100 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2016, 10:54:31 AM »
If the costs of repairs are too high, make sure you can drive the thing to a car lot and if it runs enough to do that you should get at least 1k trade in value and maybe more. It gives you another negotiation point so you can go back and forth on the price and on the trade in value and usually the dealer will work with one or the other to get you somewhere near what you want.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2016, 10:56:58 AM »
I just can't reconcile wacky saying how he's slaying it at working with him telling his guys to make sure the ole deathtrap runs for 3 months.  =mods=?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2016, 11:06:10 AM »
Wacky, if you are already broke due to the wedding, how are you going to afford a car payment after the wedding? I know your credo is NO CONSEQUENCES, but I just want to make sure you take a second to think about getting a car payment on the back end of being broke.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2016, 11:12:15 AM »
probably missed it, but why aren't mrs wacky's parents paying for this wedding with their bbq fortune?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2016, 11:13:40 AM »
They are paying for it. And it's not bbq how they got their $. They use to be the main dairy supplier in KC, back in the day. Only thing i'm paying for is the honeymoon, because I want to feel like a man of some sorts.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 11:22:16 AM by WackyCat08 »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2016, 11:14:36 AM »

:shakesfist: I'm a great driver, ass hats. I just dropped off my car and told "my guy" to do whatever he needs to do to get that thing through the finish line (June).

i realize you're getting married soon but if you need a car that badly, what's waiting 2 months going to accomplish?

Wedding $$ gifts maybe?
Yeah. Joint accounts, being cheap, etc.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2016, 11:16:44 AM »
I just can't reconcile wacky saying how he's slaying it at working with him telling his guys to make sure the ole deathtrap runs for 3 months.  =mods=?
Wedding ring bans, honeymoon, paid for my guys suits and shoes, student loans take a good portion of one of my checks, etc.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2016, 11:18:46 AM »
Wacky, if you are already broke due to the wedding, how are you going to afford a car payment after the wedding? I know your credo is NO CONSEQUENCES, but I just want to make sure you take a second to think about getting a car payment on the back end of being broke.
I have amazing credit. I have plenty of wiggle room for a new car payment. Problem is, i'm just a cheap ass. I seriously would rather see the $ in my account, then use it. It's a weird thing. However, when i'm out with my friends, i'm very generous. I don't understand the way i'm processed. brb. doing chipotle.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2016, 11:19:58 AM »
Wedding ring bans, honeymoon, paid for my guys suits and shoes, student loans take a good portion of one of my checks, etc.
Proud of you. Good job.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2016, 11:24:10 AM »

well that's nice of you, no further questions your on her

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2016, 11:30:10 AM »
Wacky, you guys will probably buy a house and want to have kids, right?  You need to go ahead and buy yourself a car you will be happy with sooner instead of later.

I doubt a minivan is ever in the cards for the Wacky08s so my advice is get yourself a nice SUV that you will get you thru the next 10 years of first house projects and then hauling around all the babies & baby stuff.  It will never be easier to pay for it than it will be in the next year or two.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2016, 11:31:56 AM »

well that's nice of you, no further questions your on her
I bet Wacky bought Zoot suits. That would be a very wacky thing to do.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2016, 11:33:40 AM »
or go buy a cheap Honda accord or some crap that's reliable, and when you have kids in 2 or 3 years, trade it for something bigger since you'll likely both be making more than you are today, and all the wedding expenses are behind you

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2016, 11:40:21 AM »
if you can't afford a new (different) car now, you won't be able to afford one in 2 months
you can do whatever you want with wedding gift money, but buying a used honda seems like a pretty bad choice

and if you think that you're going to have more free reign with your finances after getting married, good luck with that

man the eff up and go finance a honda if you can't buy one outright, it's quite the adult decision and mrs wacky will be impressed

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2016, 11:41:35 AM »
or go buy a cheap Honda accord or some crap that's reliable, and when you have kids in 2 or 3 years, trade it for something bigger since you'll likely both be making more than you are today, and all the wedding expenses are behind you
ya gotta be careful playing that game, wait too long and you are at the "move to the bigger, more expensive 2nd house" stage with an even smaller vehicle budget. 

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2016, 11:45:13 AM »
ya gotta be careful playing that game, wait too long and you are at the "move to the bigger, more expensive 2nd house" stage with an even smaller vehicle budget.
That is why you should start out in a huge house. Just go all out. It'll be a pain in the ass, but then you can down size and make a bunch of money when you sell the huge house.

(Is this the thread where people talk about bad financial decisions they are about to make and then everyone else encourages them not to make that bad financial decision, but here is a different bad financial decision you should make?)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2016, 11:57:06 AM »

if you're moving to a bigger 2nd house to where you can't afford upgrading your Honda accord, you're a giant dumbass

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Cocaine is a helluva drug
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2016, 11:57:38 AM »

Don't do this. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2016, 11:58:29 AM »
Ok guys, sheesh.

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2016, 12:01:01 PM »
Ok guys, sheesh.

Cheap Hondas are cheap for a reason.  Honda carries a premium in the used car market (it's unjustified for the most part IMO).

Don't buy an SUV either.  They suck.  Don't buy a minivan.  They suck more than SUVs. 

Buy a Camaro SS or a Mustang GT.  Any kids you have will be small at first so they don't need leg room.  This will allow you to enjoy life before eventual kids ruin it.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2016, 12:06:32 PM »
the last two cheap Hondas that I bought went +100k miles after purchasing with the biggest maintenance issue being a new alternator

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2016, 12:07:28 PM »
the last two cheap Hondas that I bought went +100k miles after purchasing with the biggest maintenance issue being a new alternator
you didn't change the timing belts?

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2016, 12:08:15 PM »

When was the last time you purchased a cheap honda? Also, what is cheap to you?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2016, 12:12:37 PM »
you know what, you're right.  the accord that had the alternator go also had the timing belt break while I was driving it...no engine damage done but obvs had to replace it

I spent $1200 on the accord and $2000 on the civic
the distributor died on the civic but was easy to replace as was the radiator

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2016, 12:14:35 PM »
you know what, you're right.  the accord that had the alternator go also had the timing belt break while I was driving it...no engine damage done but obvs had to replace it

I spent $1200 on the accord and $2000 on the civic
the distributor died on the civic but was easy to replace as was the radiator
ya, the timing belts (and weak ass transmissions on the SUVs & Vans) are Honda's only downside as the ultimate driving appliance