Author Topic: How In The Hell Did We Let Brad Underwood Get Away?  (Read 26067 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: How In The Hell Did We Let Brad Underwood Get Away?
« Reply #125 on: March 10, 2021, 12:57:29 PM »
I remember him helping fix our offense, when Frank was lost, but I wouldn't say people would have lept out of their chairs in joy if we retained him.

Of course not. He needed to go out and prove himself elsewhere. He’s done so 1000 times over at this point.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 10, 2021, 01:04:06 PM »
Yeah, I definitely wasn't happy about the oscar hire either. I just accepted it over time and you're absolutely right. Brad has proven himself a million times. I love me some Brad, I just think it's a long shot.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 10, 2021, 01:07:44 PM »
Brad had  proven himself with his success at SFA. Everything else he’s done is just gravy. He was absolutely the best option during oscar cratering 1.0. He continues to be the best option amid oscar Cratering 2.0.

Imo it isn’t close.

How realistic of an option he was with Currie as AD is definitely a valid question. I don’t think his availability is a huge concern this go ‘round. He has proven to be willing to jump jobs. I do think he would leave Illinois for KSU.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2021, 01:14:45 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 10, 2021, 01:25:38 PM »
Brad had  proven himself with his success at SFA. Everything else he’s done is just gravy. He was absolutely the best option during oscar cratering 1.0. He continues to be the best option amid oscar Cratering 2.0.

Imo it isn’t close.

How realistic of an option he was with Currie as AD is definitely a valid question. I don’t think his availability is a huge concern this go ‘round. He has proven to be willing to jump jobs. I do think he would leave Illinois for KSU.

I think he would too if we could figure out a reasonable way to deal with the buyout. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 10, 2021, 01:53:01 PM »
I viewed Brad as the worst acceptable hire once we lost Frank and I put oscar beneath that.  I don't know why people (media?) would complain about hiring from within again after Frank was successful here.  Most people were pretty ok with hiring from within once Huggs left as that was the only way we were keeping the recruiting class, even if we were gambling on a relatively unknown in Frank.

Yeah, this is where I was back then, I would of been OKAY with it but not super excited. I really wanted to snag Brad when he had SFA cooking while oscar was imploding.

Come home Brad, no one will love you like fellow purple Kansas people.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 10, 2021, 02:17:09 PM »
I will buy season tickets and actually go to games if Brad comes home.  I might even get them in section 17.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 10, 2021, 02:27:38 PM »
Can Cares Act funding be used on a coach buyout? 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 10, 2021, 02:31:55 PM »
Think about hiring Brad, getting Pullen/Beasley retired, Bramlage/OOD (it'd be back) renovations. That crap balled up gives me chills.

I feel like the initial rush of fundraising/tickets would pay for all the buyouts (although I do agree they are excessive as they stand).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 10, 2021, 02:48:22 PM »
Is it really that far fetched to think Brad would take the KSU job if it came open?  I assume money is no object for donors if he is the candidate.

Yes, it is. Why would he take a job here, like what's the upside? He's already built the program up at Illinois, why would he start over? His 2021 class is deep in the 50's but it's only because he has a two player class and both players are top 150 players. It's possible that both of his best players, Dosunmu and Cockburn both stay, neither are projected into the lottery. If they both come back Illinois will be the preseason #1 team in the country next year, lol if any of you think he's going to leave that for a team with 7 conference wins the last two years.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 10, 2021, 03:08:55 PM »
Is it really that far fetched to think Brad would take the KSU job if it came open?  I assume money is no object for donors if he is the candidate.

Yes, it is. Why would he take a job here, like what's the upside? He's already built the program up at Illinois, why would he start over? His 2021 class is deep in the 50's but it's only because he has a two player class and both players are top 150 players. It's possible that both of his best players, Dosunmu and Cockburn both stay, neither are projected into the lottery. If they both come back Illinois will be the preseason #1 team in the country next year, lol if any of you think he's going to leave that for a team with 7 conference wins the last two years.

Your heart is two sizes too small

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 10, 2021, 03:16:11 PM »

Your heart is two sizes too small

Sorry buddy, it's important to snuff these things out before they get air and people get their hopes up then meltdown because they didn't get an actual unicorn or dragon for christmas.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 10, 2021, 03:38:27 PM »
I could see Brad taking the job here.  KSU is being mentioned in his buyout clauses for a reason.  He is also close with Huggs who made a similar move even with GRCOAT coming in (granted to a better situation at WVU).  You are right that it's not a practical move but he pretty clearly loves it here.

I'm not saying we could definitely get him, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I think this year would be particularly challenging given the success of the Illini and his buyout but I fully expect oscar to return anyways.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2021, 04:46:20 PM »
I would be absolutely shocked if he came here from Illinois this season. Unless he has an evil athletic director who sabatoges his NCAA tournament.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 10, 2021, 05:13:58 PM »
I will buy season tickets and actually go to games if Brad comes home.  I might even get them in section 17.

I am in.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 10, 2021, 05:24:51 PM »
I could see Brad taking the job here.  KSU is being mentioned in his buyout clauses for a reason. He is also close with Huggs who made a similar move even with GRCOAT coming in (granted to a better situation at WVU).  You are right that it's not a practical move but he pretty clearly loves it here.

I'm not saying we could definitely get him, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I think this year would be particularly challenging given the success of the Illini and his buyout but I fully expect oscar to return anyways.
Is this true?  I've looked and I haven't been able to find his Illinois contract.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 10, 2021, 07:06:44 PM »
it was in his SFA contract, doubtful on OSU and Illinois

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 10, 2021, 07:15:58 PM »
If Brad wants to be here his buyout isn’t an issue. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2021, 07:39:56 PM »
it was in his SFA contract, doubtful on OSU and Illinois

The reduced buyout for K-State? It was in his Oklahoma State contact too.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 11, 2021, 08:22:55 AM »
I could see Brad taking the job here.  KSU is being mentioned in his buyout clauses for a reason. He is also close with Huggs who made a similar move even with GRCOAT coming in (granted to a better situation at WVU).  You are right that it's not a practical move but he pretty clearly loves it here.

Is this true?  I've looked and I haven't been able to find his Illinois contract.

I don't think Illinois but know it was for OSU/SFA.  Perhaps Illinois is right though and they feel as though their job is good enough that they aren't particularly worried

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2021, 10:06:52 AM »
Not to dig into this rabbit hole any more than needed, but Brad would be acquire a talented, young roster.  The cupboards are not bare. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 05, 2021, 04:57:05 AM »
BARD

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2022, 11:46:00 AM »
eff Brad “I love Kansas State” Underwood and the horse he rode in on. At least I’ll never have to hear that rough rider mentioned as a future coach at Kansas State again.

https://twitter.com/KellisRobinett/status/1509203378701799442?s=20&t=70PzElWpqiB2Z-RBFm24cg

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2022, 12:36:00 PM »
I am sure someday  head coach Brad Underwood will see the second weekend of the NCAA tourney from the sidelines of the team bench area, instead of his couch.

But in that Round of 32 game, the Illini looked liked they wanted to be anywhere else but playing that game.   It was a pretty pathetic performance for a Big 10 co-champion. 

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2022, 12:37:26 PM »
I think Brad made the logical move IMO, I’m not mad at him for it. I think his desire for the job was overstated based on hearsay from fans.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2022, 01:28:08 PM »
Who cares? Go Cats
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.