Author Topic: How In The Hell Did We Let Brad Underwood Get Away?  (Read 25879 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: How In The Hell Did We Let Brad Underwood Get Away?
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »
Given his past ability to admit mistakes, this is not surprising.
just wondering- what specifically are you referring to?

it doesn't really seem like SOP for AD's (or any other profession) to highlight mistakes they've made but maybe i'm wrong. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »
Also, basketball trajectory is possibly heading that way, but we haven't reached dumpster fire status yet. Years 4-6 of Wooly were hitting dumpster fire status for K-State basketball.

Granted, no one should be happy with where we are at, but defining either program as being a dumpster fire is silly. Rutgers basketball is dumpster fire. KU football is dumpster fire.

Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.  But I think running off a coach who was at an E8 for nothing more than a personality conflict (no major ncaa violations), an AD who was brought in for transparency and hires a re-tread in an opaque search, said loser coach has to burn his own team down after year 3 because of "rampant drug use" is pretty dumpster-y to me.  We're not in full blown dumpster fire I guess, but there is a lot of smoke an some smoldering in the corner.  The people watch the dumpster are waiving their hands hoping all the smoke goes away while a few smart people are questioning whether or not to get a fire extinguisher.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2016, 10:10:39 AM »

it doesn't really seem like SOP for AD's (or any other profession) to highlight mistakes they've made but maybe i'm wrong. 

Leti - I could be wrong, but when an AD denies a transfer, they usually end up ruling out a couple of teams and then allowing the athlete to go.  He held on until it became a national story and then tried to rule out dozens of teams, IIRC.  The amount of mishandling involved in what had clearly become a no-win situation was mind boggling.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2016, 10:16:46 AM »

Also, basketball trajectory is possibly heading that way, but we haven't reached dumpster fire status yet. Years 4-6 of Wooly were hitting dumpster fire status for K-State basketball.

Granted, no one should be happy with where we are at, but defining either program as being a dumpster fire is silly. Rutgers basketball is dumpster fire. KU football is dumpster fire.

Maybe we'll have to agree to disagree.  But I think running off a coach who was at an E8 for nothing more than a personality conflict (no major ncaa violations), an AD who was brought in for transparency and hires a re-tread in an opaque search, said loser coach has to burn his own team down after year 3 because of "rampant drug use" is pretty dumpster-y to me.  We're not in full blown dumpster fire I guess, but there is a lot of smoke an some smoldering in the corner.  The people watch the dumpster are waiving their hands hoping all the smoke goes away while a few smart people are questioning whether or not to get a fire extinguisher.

You just said it's likely we could finish in the top 3 in the league next year. I get the oscar hate, most of it justified, but if a coach has a team in the top 3 of a P5 league in his 5th season, there isn't even dumpster fire smoke.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2016, 10:19:59 AM »

Leti - I could be wrong, but when an AD denies a transfer, they usually end up ruling out a couple of teams and then allowing the athlete to go.  He held on until it became a national story and then tried to rule out dozens of teams, IIRC.  The amount of mishandling involved in what had clearly become a no-win situation was mind boggling.

ya that was really bad.  i don't blame him for not getting on stage and admitting how poorly it was handled, but ya, bad.
hopefully he learned from his mistake.  seemed to go smoother with the brucexodus.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2016, 10:53:46 AM »
What are the odds that Currie congratulates "...KSU alum..." Brad Underwood on the head coaching position at our "sister school" Oklahoma State in his next letter?

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2016, 01:32:36 PM »

What are the odds that Currie congratulates "...KSU alum..." Brad Underwood on the head coaching position at our "sister school" Oklahoma State in his next letter?

He absolutely will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2016, 02:46:20 PM »
How can Currie market himself to the next school with the two dumpster fires we have for coaching staffs in the only two sports that matter?
Well, he has nothing to do with one of them. So that's first for starters.

And if he's implying football, its another matter all together. The coach is a HOF legend who has won a conference title within the last 5 seasons and finished in the top 20 just 2 years ago. If that's a dumpster fire program I'm not sure you can ever be happy as a K-State fan.

Currie's issue with football, if the rumors are true, is that he meddles too much in football and doesn't let the HOF coach do his job. Again if the rumors are true, Currie has blocked two different assistants from coming here in the last 3 or 4 years.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2016, 02:58:49 PM »
Currie's issue with football, if the rumors are true, is that he meddles too much in football and doesn't let the HOF coach do his job. Again if the rumors are true, Currie has blocked two different assistants from coming here in the last 3 or 4 years.

Much as I'd like to believe that as being in character with Currie's massive ego (notice how he's NEVER self-deprecating in interviews - Snyder does that often. Inability to criticize yourself is a true sign of an over-inflated ego), I would also like to believe that Bill would step-up and say something publicly. I understand why Frank never said anything about Currie directly - he has a coaching future to think of and other AD's would not look kindly on a coach that betrays their supervisors. But Snyder isn't going to work for any other AD's or UP's, so he has nothing to lose. If Currie sticks his nosey nose into Bill's assistant coach hiring, Snyder would do something or say something to let that information out.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2016, 03:02:15 PM »
currie is like the shithead kid that is always sneaking and doing crappy stuff but whose parent (fAnimal) never notices/acknowledges it and believes whatever excuse craphead kid gives to him when people are upset.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2016, 03:04:55 PM »
Do you think K-State fans would embrace oscar like Royals fans did with Hud if we were winning tons of games?

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
probably

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2016, 03:23:27 PM »
Do you think K-State fans would embrace oscar like Royals fans did with Hud if we were winning tons of games?

Of course. The line between lovable dork and loser dork is just wins and losses really. He was mainly lovable that first year in spite of the KU losses until we lost to La Salle.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2016, 03:26:51 PM »
When did Hud become a coach for the Royals?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2016, 03:27:25 PM »
currie is such a bad boss that he's essentially had zero turnover on his entire athletic dept staff minus one notable exception.
i mean rumors are great and all because why not?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2016, 03:32:21 PM »

Ned would probably be a better comparo.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2016, 03:35:16 PM »

this is the appropriate response to any 'lemy post. the rest of you are idiots.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2016, 04:11:12 PM »

I was just trying to think of an odd bird that was universally disliked at first and then universally loved now.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2016, 04:20:32 PM »
You just said it's likely we could finish in the top 3 in the league next year.

3rd in the big 12 is over this team's ceiling.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2016, 04:31:06 PM »

You just said it's likely we could finish in the top 3 in the league next year. I get the oscar hate, most of it justified, but if a coach has a team in the top 3 of a P5 league in his 5th season, there isn't even dumpster fire smoke.

No I said top half was likely, maybe if things fall right top third.  But I qualified that with a very realistic path that the rest of the league goes down, while he marginally improves.  I think we all recognize he has some pieces (Wade, Stokes, etc).  No whether or not he gets in the way of that success is another thing.  More importantly it's a brief blip of success that his track record shows he can't maintain.  It's Illinois 08-09 redux and enough for many of our fans to think there is a light flickering at the end of the tunnel.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2016, 04:35:55 PM »

I was just trying to think of an odd bird that was universally disliked at first and then universally loved now.

I liked Hud from day 1.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2016, 04:36:42 PM »
Being good is the goal.  Wiener bland is good.  Oscar nice is good.  Good enough for Curdog, but not for rabid fans.  I have no doubt 6th place in the big12 next year is realistic and a 12 seed is possible.  I want our aspirations to be higher than midget level where our nose is always at either butt or groin level of others.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2016, 04:41:09 PM »

Of course. The line between lovable dork and loser dork is just wins and losses really. He was mainly lovable that first year in spite of the KU losses until we lost to La Salle.

oscar was a lovable tolerable dork up until the time he went to great effort in the court storming to protect Bill Self from getting squashed by the students.  Let Self get squashed and have to fight his own way out. I've hated his face ever since.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2016, 04:50:21 PM »

Yes, the number one terrible thing oscar does is suck crap at coaching basketball.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2016, 04:54:23 PM »
I don't think I would ever want to grab a beer with oscar but I would be ok with him coaching my favorite team if he won enough.  I think I would want to grab a beer with Ned anyway, but more so because of his winning.