Author Topic: Doug Gottlieb to Oklahoma St.  (Read 26356 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Doug Gottlieb to Oklahoma St.
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2017, 03:28:16 PM »
Yeah, I know. Making him more qualified.

You got it!  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 24, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »
wish mike cox would've hung around for the football job

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 24, 2017, 03:31:32 PM »

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 24, 2017, 03:48:54 PM »
Eddie Fogler is the clear winner here.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/845369075538759681

Fogler was also Boynton's coach at South Carolina.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 24, 2017, 03:50:12 PM »
Eddie Fogler is the clear winner here.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/845369075538759681

Fogler was also Boynton's coach at South Carolina.

Fogler was part of bringing Huggs to MHK.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 24, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »
who was the last Big 12 coach under $1 million per? I know Betty was in football only a year ago (which puts this hire in a pretty unflattering light imo)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 24, 2017, 04:20:39 PM »
who was the last Big 12 coach under $1 million per? I know Betty was in football only a year ago (which puts this hire in a pretty unflattering light imo)

My guess would be Frank Martin.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 24, 2017, 04:22:08 PM »
I thought unds and phrom both were last year

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Doug Gottlieb to Oklahoma St.
« Reply #158 on: March 24, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »
So this guy was on staff with Darrin Horn at South Carolina, but then Frank didn't retain him. He was also involved in South Carolina's self punishment for NCAA issues when Frank was hired.

https://southcarolina.rivals.com/news/ncaa-accepts-uscs-punishment-w-video

Banned from recruiting, even though he wasn't on staff. I see no evidence he was on staff at all when Frank was there (or coaching for anyone in that time frame) but then he ended up being hired by Brad when he went to SFA and then OSU.

Odd.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 24, 2017, 04:27:39 PM »
So this guy was on staff with Darrin Horn at South Carolina, but then Frank didn't retain him. He was also involved in South Carolina's self punishment for NCAA issues when Frank was hired.

Banned from recruiting, even though he wasn't on staff. I see no evidence he was on staff at all when Frank was there (or coaching for anyone in that time frame) but then he ended up being hired by Brad when he went to SFA and then OSU.

Odd.

Went to Wofford as an AHC for a year.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 24, 2017, 04:29:02 PM »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 24, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 24, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »
I thought unds and phrom both were last year
unds was right at 1.0, Beard at TT was 1.3ish and Prohm I think was 1.5

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 24, 2017, 04:43:48 PM »
Until about 20 minutes ago he didn't even have a Wikipedia page.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Boynton

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
last chance at a actual hc job without going through the ranks first
very awkward interview

It was interesting. I think Doug truly value's Soren's opinion and part of it seemed to be Doug really wanting Soren to validate him, but Soren was honest with the positives and negatives that Doug would bring a program.

You guys definitely buried the lede on this interview. MICHAEL PORTER JR COULD END UP AT OU! WHAT??? Or possibly crazier, Trae Young and Porter Jr might end up at Missouri. Those two kids at the same school would be nuts.

I think that's just talk to make it look like the martin and porter to mu together thing hasn't been a done deal that was worked out a week ago.

I don't see the reasoning to do that, why would they care if Washington fans are mad? If Porter Sr is truly letting his son make the decision this could get interesting.

i just think that none of the parties involved really want it to look like cuonzo and the porters had this all worked out beforehand. if porter comes out immediately and says he's going to mizzou then it kind of looks that way. that would maybe make martin look bad because he was probably recruiting for mizzou when he was still coaching cal and it doesn't exactly make the porters look great either. maybe I'm wrong, but i think everybody just looks a little better if they slow play this.

I'm just going to take them for their word, I don't know why that's so hard for people to do when it comes to athletes.

maybe because people involved in athletics (coaches more than players i suppose) lie a lot?  :dunno:

Do they though? Do they lie anymore than someone in software sales? I have no way of knowing that so I'm not going to assume that they do.

so we should believe what gottleib said someone told him about porter because you aren't sure how often a software salesman lies? good grief.

Believe what you want, I'm not sure why you're so indignant. I posted some information you said you don't believe it because basketball coaches lie. I don't care that you for some reason think college basketball coaches are less trustworthy than anyone else. I don't feel this way, I'm completely unburdened with trying to suss out whether or not I'm being lied to solely based on a person's career choice.

he will end up at MU and after he does i'll go oh yeah no crap he was always going to end up there and you'll go oh ok, he ended up at mu. much in the way that I'm going yeah no crap weber snuck into the tournament as the last overall choice and didn't get fired it was always going to be that way and you're going oh ok, it looks like oscar won't get fired. you have some _fan/fence in you. nothing wrong with that.

https://twitter.com/si_ncaabb/status/845386615224745985
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2017, 04:45:53 PM »
Shocking.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »
So...connect the dots for me, why did Brad hire him?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 24, 2017, 04:51:26 PM »

Odd.

Went to Wofford as an AHC for a year.

This says that was 07-08:

Coaching Resume

South Carolina: Assistant Coach (2008-13)
Stephen F. Austin: Assistant Coach (2013-16)
Oklahoma State: Assistant Coach (2016-Present)
Wofford: Associate Head Coach (2007-08)
Coastal Carolina: Assistant Coach (2005-07)
Furman: Graduate Manager (2004-05)

:dunno:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 24, 2017, 04:55:46 PM »
the whole staff went with Frank to So.Car. right?  Maybe Boynton was the video coordinator or something Frank's first year at So.Car. and they are doing a bit of an "O'Leary" to his resume

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 24, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
the whole staff went with Frank to So.Car. right?  Maybe Boynton was the video coordinator or something Frank's first year at So.Car. and they are doing a bit of an "O'Leary" to his resume

I'm honestly not trying to make this more than it is, but he was publically quoted as saying he understood why the whole staff was hired and he wasn't retained.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-mens-basketball/article18154892.html

He isn't listed on Frank's original staff either:

Coaches
Frank Martin - Head Coach
Brad Underwood - Associate Head Coach
Matt Figger - Assistant Coach/Recruiting Coordinator
Lamont Evans - Assistant Coach
Mark Rodger - Athletic Trainer
Andy Assaley - Director of Basketball Operations
Scott Greenawalt - Strength and Conditioning Coach

Nor is he in the staff media guide section:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/scar/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2012-13/misc_non_event/12-mbk-mg-sec-3.pdf

It just seems a little weird.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 24, 2017, 06:24:45 PM »

Am I overreacting by thinking this is another program in our region passing us up not only on a regional level, but also on a national level?  :frown:

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 24, 2017, 06:28:36 PM »
no, i don't think you are over reacting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 24, 2017, 06:33:32 PM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
last chance at a actual hc job without going through the ranks first
very awkward interview

It was interesting. I think Doug truly value's Soren's opinion and part of it seemed to be Doug really wanting Soren to validate him, but Soren was honest with the positives and negatives that Doug would bring a program.

You guys definitely buried the lede on this interview. MICHAEL PORTER JR COULD END UP AT OU! WHAT??? Or possibly crazier, Trae Young and Porter Jr might end up at Missouri. Those two kids at the same school would be nuts.

I think that's just talk to make it look like the martin and porter to mu together thing hasn't been a done deal that was worked out a week ago.

I don't see the reasoning to do that, why would they care if Washington fans are mad? If Porter Sr is truly letting his son make the decision this could get interesting.

i just think that none of the parties involved really want it to look like cuonzo and the porters had this all worked out beforehand. if porter comes out immediately and says he's going to mizzou then it kind of looks that way. that would maybe make martin look bad because he was probably recruiting for mizzou when he was still coaching cal and it doesn't exactly make the porters look great either. maybe I'm wrong, but i think everybody just looks a little better if they slow play this.

I'm just going to take them for their word, I don't know why that's so hard for people to do when it comes to athletes.

maybe because people involved in athletics (coaches more than players i suppose) lie a lot?  :dunno:

Do they though? Do they lie anymore than someone in software sales? I have no way of knowing that so I'm not going to assume that they do.

so we should believe what gottleib said someone told him about porter because you aren't sure how often a software salesman lies? good grief.

Believe what you want, I'm not sure why you're so indignant. I posted some information you said you don't believe it because basketball coaches lie. I don't care that you for some reason think college basketball coaches are less trustworthy than anyone else. I don't feel this way, I'm completely unburdened with trying to suss out whether or not I'm being lied to solely based on a person's career choice.

he will end up at MU and after he does i'll go oh yeah no crap he was always going to end up there and you'll go oh ok, he ended up at mu. much in the way that I'm going yeah no crap weber snuck into the tournament as the last overall choice and didn't get fired it was always going to be that way and you're going oh ok, it looks like oscar won't get fired. you have some _fan/fence in you. nothing wrong with that.

Why did you add that tweet to that message chain?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2017, 06:37:49 PM »
Mark this day down as the day a Big 12 school made it public that they don't give a crap about a revenue sport. What's crazy is that most OSU fans don't care.

If any of you unfavorably compare our athletic department to theirs and use any combination of "T. Boone Pickens" and "money" I may personally rip your fingers off of their hands.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 24, 2017, 06:44:04 PM »
I think Holder maybe be an old short timer that just wanted an easy hire.  He didn't want a Steve Forbes to come in and do what Unds just did. 

This made me think, what if a very football focused AD hired Matt Figger or Lamont Evans for 750k next year?  ATM it doesn't sound too bad.