Author Topic: politics of football (ban that crap)  (Read 28882 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Football
« Reply #125 on: December 03, 2015, 11:03:31 AM »
generally speaking, i'm in favor of more magnets.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 03, 2015, 11:34:13 AM »
Continuing to improve helmets is a noble effort and should be continued, but comprehensive studies of the brain in both football players and non football players and continuing to release that information to the public honestly (especially by the NFL, the NCAA, and football supporters) is the key. I do think concussions and their effects can be reduced, but not eliminated (nor can they be from most sports). Ultimately, I think Pete is correct in the next step with honest and accurate information about the effects of concussions and football:

Can't we just solve this with waivers, such as those that are used at the bounce house kids party places?

The size and speed of players (especially in the NFL and college) will continue to equal or surpass the technology for helmets; the collisions are simply frequent and often brutal. Its the nature of what football is and for many how they gain their enjoyment of the sport. Part of the the issue with many players is how safe they believe the equipment is and their willingness to use their helmet/head as the initial force of impact. Moves like the Seahawks teaching (and publicizing) their use of shoulder/rugby tackling are good for the game and hopefully will help. Coaches at all levels getting out of the dark ages in how they organize practices and the amount of violent contact they build (or allow) into those practices will help. The nature of the sport is still going to lead to collisions and concussions, so the way the game is taught is very important, but ultimately educating parents and players about the risks is imperative for keeping the sport alive to counteract the blowback of the bad press the NFL allowed in the past. Then they will have to choose and I think a waiver to play contact football for any minor by parents and the player is important.

As far as football for high school and younger, no doubt there are collisions and concussions occur, but I don't think they are nearly as frequent or as violent. Personally, I have no problem with my high school son playing football and I believe the benefits for him outweigh the risks, but that's not for everyone and every parent won't make that decision.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 03, 2015, 11:39:01 AM »
Freakanomics has a podcast about football and head injuries. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 03, 2015, 11:42:02 AM »
All of those numbers are the rosiest lab numbers you could imagine and thus producing any clinical effect would undoubtedly make them inpractical.  The fact that even the best case increases weight and cost by over 10% highlights how improbable this dumbshit idea is.

I heard magnets cure cancer too, why don't you go run off an google that and share the results with everyone.

I don't think it'll ever work well enough to be a product.  But it's an interesting experiment.  Dismissing things off hand is never a good way to make progress.
WTF are you even doing here, bro?

Pointing out your bravado as complete bullshit.  Just because I don't think the idea will make it to market, doesn't make your bullshit any less bullshit.  The fact that you see 10% as prohibitive to anything is asinine.  Just stop.  Any research to improve helmets is a good thing, and that's my point.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 03, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
If the magnets really work to reduce concussions, the extra cost of the helmets could be at least partially offset by reduced insurance costs.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 03, 2015, 12:00:56 PM »
:adios:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2015, 12:25:43 PM »
where will these magnets be located with regard to the helmet?

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2015, 12:33:24 PM »

And do we think that being in an MRI machine for, say, 15 hours a week, 25 weeks a year would do good things?

I haven't seen any research that would suggest it would do bad things. :dunno:
Yeah, I have no idea either, I just think the two are strange to equate. We do know that spending a few seconds occasionally in an X-ray machine is fine, but long term exposure is bad.  No idea if the same is true of MRI's or 1/10th of an MRI, but it would certainly cause me some concern

That stood out to me as well. It's like saying, "does drinking 6 sodas a day have an adverse effect on health? Well, 1 soda has much less caffeine than a cup of coffee."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2015, 12:38:15 PM »
The benefits of playing football gets too much play, imo.  The benefits of football are the benefits of most team sports, imo.  If football does decline drastically, most of the youth no longer playing it will gravitate to another team sport, most likely.  As for injury similarities, I do think that sports like soccer are similar unless headers are removed.  If headers are removed until later in the sport(college, etc), the kids have an opportunity to be old enough to see the sport without the dangerous component and get the benefits they would get from that, and still be of a more reasonable age to make a decision about proceeding forth in a sport that would then add a dangerous component to it by playing at an age where headers are allowed. 

As more is know about CTE, though, I think there is a lot of change highschools and middle schools are going to see.   Football, soccer, wrestling, hockey, rugby, lacross, etc.  Pretty wide swath of popular sports.  Most likely, many of those will have to either adapt or die in many schools.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2015, 03:09:39 PM »
What if a football field could be rigged to steer magnetic helmets in a certain direction?  I'm sure the fine engineering students at KSU could figure something out.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 03, 2015, 03:11:51 PM »
What if a football field could be rigged to steer magnetic helmets in a certain direction?  I'm sure the fine engineering students at KSU could figure something out.

Or just go with this...

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2015, 03:16:10 PM »
I was thinking more along the lines of the technology that allows those maglev trains to go 300 mph.  It could really help some of our slower 5 heart players!

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »

Or just go with this...

looks like the center's apartment must have been on fire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 03, 2015, 07:32:36 PM »
where will these magnets be located with regard to the helmet?

This guy is going to form fit them to the curve of the helmet, between the shell and the padding.

https://news.vcu.edu/article/Saving_football

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 04, 2015, 09:16:11 AM »

:thumbs:

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2015, 12:34:10 PM »
Perhaps your predictions of the demise of football are a bit premature...

https://twitter.com/usafootball/status/672845349053067264

Can you imagine the game scores of USA vs (every other country)?!?!

We could send a team of high school all stars and win every game by 7 touchdowns. hahaha
bears are fast...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 04, 2015, 03:05:30 PM »

We could send a team of high school all stars and win every game by 7 touchdowns. hahaha

There's a reason why baseball was cut.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 04, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »

Yeah, Europe is terrible at baseball.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 04, 2015, 04:08:46 PM »
That would be a lot of fun to watch. When have Americans all came together and cheered for one football team together? Besides the cats, of course!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 04, 2015, 04:21:14 PM »

Yeah, Europe is terrible at baseball.

Exactly, and they actually have a few countries in Europe that play baseball.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 04, 2015, 06:11:33 PM »

To make room for football!!  Amirite?  ;-)
bears are fast...

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2015, 04:05:15 PM »
Dr. Bennet Omalu Says Parents Should Not Let Children Play Football

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2596649-dr-bennet-omalu-says-parents-should-not-let-children-play-football?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

CTE can cause "major depression, memory loss, suicidal thought and actions, loss of intelligence as well as dementia later in life," per Omalu. What makes this particularly scary, Omalu notes, is that "the brain, unlike most other organs, does not have the capacity to cure itself following all types of injuries."

He concludes by noting that laws have been put in place to prevent children from harming themselves by smoking cigarettes or consuming alcohol, with age restrictions to prevent minors from purchasing them. He suggests that authority figures like parents, coaches and doctors should insist on young men and women not playing contact sports as minors.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 07, 2015, 05:30:10 PM »
Dr. Bennet Omalu Says Parents Should Not Let Children Play Football

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2596649-dr-bennet-omalu-says-parents-should-not-let-children-play-football?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

CTE can cause "major depression, memory loss, suicidal thought and actions, loss of intelligence as well as dementia later in life," per Omalu. What makes this particularly scary, Omalu notes, is that "the brain, unlike most other organs, does not have the capacity to cure itself following all types of injuries."

He concludes by noting that laws have been put in place to prevent children from harming themselves by smoking cigarettes or consuming alcohol, with age restrictions to prevent minors from purchasing them. He suggests that authority figures like parents, coaches and doctors should insist on young men and women not playing contact sports as minors.

this guy sounds like a major rough ridin' killjoy to me.

:dubious:
bears are fast...

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 07, 2015, 11:34:28 PM »

Or just go with this...

Mike Stoops would lose his crap if that didn't get flagged.