Author Topic: politics of football (ban that crap)  (Read 29370 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Football
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2015, 11:12:31 AM »
:adios:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 02, 2015, 11:18:06 AM »
Not that I don't think that football won't be seriously impacted, it will.   But I believe the game is on a slow but getting faster path to addressing many of these issues.    I think the biggest thing is getting the remaining A-Hole coaches out of the game that players are afraid to admit that they're hurt to, and getting rules in the NFL for the lower tier players that protects their roster spots so they're not afraid to admit that they're hurt.

Hopefully helmet technology continues to evolve.

The barbaric way football used to treat head injuries is sadly coming home to roost, some of that was lack of understanding, but much of that was idiocy.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 02, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »
Sitting guys out after a concussion is nice, but does little to prevent or heal them. It's probably better now than it was 10 years ago. The real problem is CTE. I think the only way to address that is to come up with magnetic helmets so player's heads don't crash into each other hundreds of times a game. Padding on the outside of the helmet would help in the meantime, but the NFL doesn't want the sound of the game to change, so they are in denial that there is a problem.

I still love watching the sport, but I feel a lot more guilty about it since hearing an interview with Steve Almond before last season. I wish I was still in denial too like Roger Goodell. http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2014/09/24/351181812/making-the-case-against-football

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 02, 2015, 01:13:02 PM »
Sitting guys out after a concussion is nice, but does little to prevent or heal them. It's probably better now than it was 10 years ago. The real problem is CTE. I think the only way to address that is to come up with magnetic helmets so player's heads don't crash into each other hundreds of times a game. Padding on the outside of the helmet would help in the meantime, but the NFL doesn't want the sound of the game to change, so they are in denial that there is a problem.

I still love watching the sport, but I feel a lot more guilty about it since hearing an interview with Steve Almond before last season. I wish I was still in denial too like Roger Goodell. http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2014/09/24/351181812/making-the-case-against-football

Magnetic helmets would be a great idea, really.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2015, 02:03:58 PM »

I would imagine having your head inside a magnetized enclosure, for as long as most FB players wear their helmets, would have other, possibly major, issues.  Especially ones magnetized strong enough to repel each other during a high velocity impact.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2015, 03:03:39 PM »

I would imagine having your head inside a magnetized enclosure, for as long as most FB players wear their helmets, would have other, possibly major, issues.  Especially ones magnetized strong enough to repel each other during a high velocity impact.

Maybe. It should be possible to direct the magnetic field around the outside of the helmet, though.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2015, 05:11:08 PM »

Maybe. It should be possible to direct the magnetic field around the outside of the helmet, though.

Magnets, how do they work? LOLZ

The added weight of a magnet large enough to repel another magnet when slammed into each other would make them dangerous when striking any other part of the body, and the cost associated with all that rare-earth magnet material would make them prohibitively expensive (and probably run the world out of rare earth magnets, if you think about how many they'd need)
Also, wearing a high powered magnet on your head, all day, every day would have zero affect on your health. 

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:14 PM »
bears are fast...

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2015, 10:21:09 PM »
i still think robots beats out magno helmets.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2015, 07:48:59 AM »

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2015, 09:22:07 AM »
Please go on...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/magnets-helmets-might-make-football-safer

The idea hasn’t been tested yet in helmets with real players, said Judy Cameron, a neuroscientist at the University of Pittsburgh.

Nothing in that article refuted anything i said.  The helmets would be heavier and more expensive, just like i said.

Good job learning how to use google, though.

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2015, 09:34:34 AM »

"The magnets, he says, would put a brake on the impact before it happens."

The added weight of a magnet large enough to repel another magnet when slammed into each other would make them dangerous when striking any other part of the body...

"They are the most powerful commercially available magnets and weigh about one-third of a pound each (football helmets weigh from 3.5 to 5.5 pounds)."

So in other words, three magnets weigh less than the difference in weight between helmet manufacturers.

and the cost associated with all that rare-earth magnet material would make them prohibitively expensive (and probably run the world out of rare earth magnets, if you think about how many they'd need)

"Colello speculates that adding magnets to a helmet would raise the price by $50 to $100. (Professional helmets today can cost several hundred dollars.)"

Or, the opposite of prohibitive, in simple terms.

Also, wearing a high powered magnet on your head, all day, every day would have zero affect on your health.

"Another safety concern is whether the magnets are dangerous to have near human heads. Colello says that a 30 minute- to one-hour MRI procedure produces magnetic fields 10 to 30 times as strong as those in helmet magnets."

Literally all of your statements were refuted.

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 09:42:23 AM »

The added weight of a magnet large enough to repel another magnet when slammed into each other would make them dangerous when striking any other part of the body...

"They are the most powerful commercially available magnets and weigh about one-third of a pound each (football helmets weigh from 3.5 to 5.5 pounds)."

So in other words, three magnets weigh less than the difference in weight between helmet manufacturers.

and the cost associated with all that rare-earth magnet material would make them prohibitively expensive (and probably run the world out of rare earth magnets, if you think about how many they'd need)

"Colello speculates that adding magnets to a helmet would raise the price by $50 to $100. (Professional helmets today can cost several hundred dollars.)"

"Another safety concern is whether the magnets are dangerous to have near human heads. Colello says that a 30 minute- to one-hour MRI procedure produces magnetic fields 10 to 30 times as strong as those in helmet magnets."

Here, bro... You're gonna need this:

:buh-bye:
bears are fast...

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 09:55:10 AM »
And do we think that being in an MRI machine for, say, 15 hours a week, 25 weeks a year would do good things?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2015, 09:57:40 AM »
so if a player had a magnetic helmet, was running full speed and launched head first at another player's helmet, would the magnetic force whip that player's head back and give them whiplash or a broken neck or something?

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2015, 10:02:15 AM »
I don't think it'll ever work well enough to be a product.  But it's an interesting experiment.  Dismissing things off hand is never a good way to make progress.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2015, 10:10:09 AM »

All of those numbers are the rosiest lab numbers you could imagine and thus producing any clinical effect would undoubtedly make them inpractical.  The fact that even the best case increases weight and cost by over 10% highlights how improbable this dumbshit idea is.

I heard magnets cure cancer too, why don't you go run off an google that and share the results with everyone.

I don't think it'll ever work well enough to be a product.  But it's an interesting experiment.  Dismissing things off hand is never a good way to make progress.
WTF are you even doing here, bro?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2015, 10:13:46 AM »
so if a player had a magnetic helmet, was running full speed and launched head first at another player's helmet, would the magnetic force whip that player's head back and give them whiplash or a broken neck or something?

No, it would just reduce the impact force.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 03, 2015, 10:14:17 AM »
just need doughnuts

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 03, 2015, 10:15:28 AM »
And do we think that being in an MRI machine for, say, 15 hours a week, 25 weeks a year would do good things?

I haven't seen any research that would suggest it would do bad things. :dunno:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 03, 2015, 10:23:33 AM »

Yeah, I have no idea either, I just think the two are strange to equate. We do know that spending a few seconds occasionally in an X-ray machine is fine, but long term exposure is bad.  No idea if the same is true of MRI's or 1/10th of an MRI, but it would certainly cause me some concern

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 03, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »

Yeah, I have no idea either, I just think the two are strange to equate. We do know that spending a few seconds occasionally in an X-ray machine is fine, but long term exposure is bad.  No idea if the same is true of MRI's or 1/10th of an MRI, but it would certainly cause me some concern

Well, I do know that MRIs aren't as dangerous as x-rays or CT scans. Nobody has been exposed to magnets for the amount of time that a football player wearing a them in his helmet would be, though. My guess would be that reducing the occurrence of concussions by 80% as the article suggests would probably make wearing the magnets a whole lot better for your long term health than not wearing them.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #124 on: December 03, 2015, 10:49:55 AM »
so are we going to put magnets in the turf too?