Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 93868 times)

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #925 on: November 12, 2015, 01:11:16 PM »
What is the percentage of people who began a hunger strike who actually died? I can't find a single instance where someone threatened death by starvation if some conditions were not met, that actually died.

Bobby Sands

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: November 12, 2015, 01:14:20 PM »

I too believe that things are truly mumped up for black students at Mizzou because I have been there.

That doesn't mean we should not laugh at and denigrate the absurd behavior, reactions, demands and generally immature and unreasonable behavior of this group of people. The damage done to the public discourse on this matter and others so far outweighs whatever trivial progess and point they were trying to make. The only way to combat this regression is to marginalize and ignore it,  and attempt to bring the discourse back up.

Anybody who condones or supports this conduct isn't really searching for a solution, imho.

This

I would argue that without "immature and unreasonable behavior", nothing would have changed, and people damn sure wouldn't have been forced to think about what life is like for black students at Mizzou and across the country. People just don't give a crap unless you do something similar to what they did at MU. So while I think their interactions with the media have been wrong and just plain bizarre, I commend them for actually making change and actually making people think about race relations on college campuses.

Has anything changed?

Yeah they got the president to resign. Give me a sec and I'll dig up a link.

How does that change anything for black people on campus at Mizzou, though?

If it doesn't change anything immediately, it's a significant step towards change. (according to black people on campus at Mizzou).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: November 12, 2015, 01:14:32 PM »
Sounds like an ineffective University president, sys

that's a tautological statement, liblib.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: November 12, 2015, 01:15:17 PM »
Should have ran those agitators over, right ksuw? That'll teach them to know their place

I don't think that he's saying that at all . . . but liblogic

Yeah, I didn't say that. But I guess it's easier for lib7 to respond that way rather than to actually answer the questions.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: November 12, 2015, 01:17:23 PM »
I enjoy the Adam Carolla podcast. He discusses this at 1:15 if interested

http://adamcarolla.com/tai-lopez-and-matt-atchity/
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: November 12, 2015, 01:23:02 PM »
Well you dismissed waiting for the police to handle it as unreasonable, so I'm not sure what the answer to your question could be. I would say revving the engine and creeping up on them is a bit unreasonable.

Let the authorities handle it is the minimum, perhaps trying to talk with the students to understand why they are blocking his passage sounds reasonable too. But naw, just rev the engine and try to push them out of the way, who cares if someone is injured we have a homecoming parade to finish!
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 12, 2015, 01:24:25 PM »
just rev the engine and try to push them out of the way.

the driver clearly didn't do this.  unless he did it at some time that wasn't included in the video.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: November 12, 2015, 01:27:43 PM »

Well you dismissed waiting for the police to handle it as unreasonable, so I'm not sure what the answer to your question could be. I would say revving the engine and creeping up on them is a bit unreasonable.

Let the authorities handle it is the minimum, perhaps trying to talk with the students to understand why they are blocking his passage sounds reasonable too. But naw, just rev the engine and try to push them out of the way, who cares if someone is injured we have a homecoming parade to finish!

You have to be joking. Did you see the part where they were actually backing up for a while trying to get out of the situation?  When the guy got "hit" he was walking into the car quite a bit faster than the car was moving. It was deliberate on the "victim's" part
:adios:

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #933 on: November 12, 2015, 01:29:08 PM »
When your measurement for success is "change" and you are attempting to make "progress" towards nebulous undefined eye of the beholder concepts like "social justice" "wealth equality" "race relations" you are going to spend a lot of time trying to count the stars.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 12, 2015, 01:32:00 PM »
When your measurement for success is "change" and you are attempting to make "progress" towards nebulous undefined eye of the beholder concepts like "social justice" "wealth equality" "race relations" you are going to spend a lot of time trying to count the stars.

You're not wrong, but again, they had a list of pretty clearly defined demands. I know how you feel about them, but they weren't defining "progress" in the terms you are using.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 12, 2015, 01:35:07 PM »
I. We demand that the University of Missouri system president, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology for the Concerned Students 1950 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1950 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and Leslie refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department use excessive force with demonstrators.

II. We demand the immediate removal of Tim Wolfe as UM system president. After his removal a new amendment to the UM system policies must be established to have all future UM president and Chancellor positions be selected by collective of students, staff, and faculty of diverse backgrounds.

III. We demand that the University of Missouri meets the Legion of Black Collegians' demands that were presented in 1969 for the betterment of the black community. Can be found here: https://diversity.missouri.edu/timeline/lbc-demands-universityarchives74.pdf
*1969 demands include, $300,000 contingency fund to support black faculty,creating accommodations for potential black faculty at the time ie. shifting of positions to better match expertise, clear cut job descriptions, money allocated for cultural buildings, black tutoring, etc.

IV. We demand that by the academic year 2017–2018, the University of Missouri increases the percentage of black faculty and staff campus wide to 10%.

V. We demand that the University of Missouri compose a strategic 10 year plan by May 1, 2016 that will increase retention rates for marginalize students, sustain diversity curriculum and training, and promote a more safe and inclusive campus.

VII. We demand that the University of Missouri increases funding for resources for the University of Missouri Counseling Center for the purpose of hiring additional mental health professionals; particularly those of color, boosting the mental health outreach and programming across campus, increasing campus-wide awareness and visibility of the counseling center, and reducing lengthy wait times for prospective clients.

VII. We demand at the University of Missouri increases funding, resources, and personnel for the social justices center on campus for the purpose of hiring additional professionals, particularly those of color, boosting out reach and programming across campus, and increasing campus-wide awareness and visibility.

Most of these demands are pretty tangible. I don't think whether progress being made towards them would be too hard to figure out.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:41:50 PM by nicname »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 12, 2015, 01:40:26 PM »
Black students:  It's awful for us here.
Media:  Oh ya?  Tell us about it!
Black students: No get out of here!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 01:53:03 PM by Emo EMAW »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 12, 2015, 01:51:33 PM »
Well you dismissed waiting for the police to handle it as unreasonable

No I didn't. I asked the question. But my personal opinion is that if someone stands in front of my car and screams at me, I should't have to just sit there and wait for police if I can avoid it. I think it would be reasonable to try to slowly carefully drive around the person, which appears to be exactly what they were trying to do. And if you don't think that activist intentionally made contact with the vehicle, you're not watching the same video I am.

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and assume that trying to reason with the pack of activists wasn't going anywhere. I don't think you really believe that, either.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 12, 2015, 02:14:09 PM »
You're right, he should just keep ignoring his students and get fired for incompetence, sounds like a real winning strategy ksuw
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 12, 2015, 02:20:40 PM »
pack of activists

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: November 12, 2015, 02:22:12 PM »
pactivists

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 12, 2015, 02:32:29 PM »

You're not wrong, but again, they had a list of pretty clearly defined demands. I know how you feel about them, but they weren't defining "progress" in the terms you are using.

That list of demands perfectly accentuates how unreasonable and immature the group is. Nobody should or would continue reading that list after the very first sentence.  There's nothing there that isn't insulting, arbitrary or would require substantial funding to duplicate existing programming.

The most plausible root of all of this is a pissed off segment of academia who manipulated students for their own pecuniary gain.  That is pathetic and embarrassing. Faculty are in positions of trust, have enormous amounts of influence and power, yet bear no responsibility or liability when they misguided their students or worse manipulate and abuse them for personal gain/againF

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 12, 2015, 02:34:52 PM »

That list of demands perfectly accentuates how unreasonable and immature the group is. Nobody should or would continue reading that list after the very first sentence.  There's nothing there that isn't insulting, arbitrary or would require substantial funding to duplicate existing programming.

But they're still pretty easy to define/quantify.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 12, 2015, 02:36:16 PM »

But they're still pretty easy to define/quantify.

Well golly, lets kowtow to all demands as long as there, ya know, easy to define and quantify.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 12, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »
the guy who wrote that email to the professor is named "Von"??? smdh.  people and their names these days.
Incredibly strange name if you ask me.
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: November 12, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »
Well they should have asked for cars or gold then. Dont turn this into an exercise in semantics.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: November 12, 2015, 02:39:09 PM »
You're right, he should just keep ignoring his students and get fired for incompetence, sounds like a real winning strategy ksuw

Is there any kind of protracted timeline or chronology of requests that show that he ignored the students, or does liblogic dictate that university Chancellors are to drop everything and immediately take up any and all student demands?   Were highly paid personnel put into place by the Chancellor to handle these issues as they came up?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: November 12, 2015, 02:40:43 PM »
Well they should have asked for cars or gold then. Dont turn this into an exercise in semantics.

Pretty straight forward and highly quantifiable . . . throw in $20 billion while you're at it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: November 12, 2015, 02:47:19 PM »

Well, they got demands 1 and 2 already. Do you think they could have accomplished that by acting reasonable and mature (as defined by you?) I don't.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:50:32 PM by michigancat »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: November 12, 2015, 02:48:38 PM »
37 pages and lots of dialogue here.  Still gonna defer to black people at mizzou as far as how things are for black people at mizzou.

I feel like the vast majority of people at mizzou are not in fact racist. I mean, 3 out of the last 5 student body presidents have been black. It's missouri, so of course there will be some idiots that are.

Am I missing something here?

Yes