Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 93840 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #675 on: November 10, 2015, 05:47:43 PM »
MIR, I'm a little confused-- do you think that link you posted refuted my point at all?

Uh no. Wouldn't that mean I didn't even read the subheadline and lede?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: November 10, 2015, 05:48:33 PM »
Free speech should trump people's feelings pretty much always.  I hate the WBC, but I'm glad to live in a place where they can believe in and say what they want.
:adios:

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: November 10, 2015, 05:49:36 PM »
Well, I just think its noteworthy that cops are now asking students to call them because of speech. I don't agree with that, and that is the police abusing their authority IMO. Police should protect students, protect students rights, enforce laws, and that's about it. I've said what I'll say on that, and you guys are free to take this thread a different direction.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: November 10, 2015, 05:50:17 PM »
FTR, the police thing was a university-wide email, according to the Volokh article.

Right but it was sent by the mizzou pd

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: November 10, 2015, 05:51:29 PM »
Well, I just think its noteworthy that cops are now asking students to call them because of speech. I don't agree with that, and that is the police abusing their authority IMO. Police should protect students, protect students rights, enforce laws, and that's about it. I've said what I'll say on that, and you guys are free to take this thread a different direction.

NO ONE AGREES WITH IT, CARTIER. mercy.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 10, 2015, 05:52:33 PM »
MIR, I'm a little confused-- do you think that link you posted refuted my point at all?

Well given what you said earlier ("are you kidding..."), and the portion of the article where the guy tried to frame it as a school regulation issue and not a first amendment issue, I wasn't expecting the quick 180.

FTR, the police thing was a university-wide email, according to the Volokh article.

Right, but a little more than just a tweet.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: November 10, 2015, 05:52:58 PM »

NO ONE AGREES WITH IT, CARTIER. mercy.

that's good!  :cheers:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 10, 2015, 06:01:44 PM »
i don't know who Claws is either?  is he a student at missouri?

He's #32.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=36341.0
lol oh.  that's why i didn't know.

And that's an interesting question.  I'm really not sure what would happen if a student said that there.  I don't think he could be expelled, but I wonder if he could have his scholarship revoked or kicked off the team.  Maybe not!

Anyhow that's a little different than the situation at issue regarding "speech codes" at universities and expelling students for violations regarding "hate speech" (however that's defined).  I could link you to some cases and scholarship if you'd be interested in learning about the legality of limiting student speech on campuses.

I think he would be expelled.
I think you would be surprised to learn about the speech rights afforded to students in university settings.

He might sue and he might win, but the lawsuit would be cheaper than the fallout that would come about from keeping somebody on campus after that. There is no way somebody who says that on television while wearing a "K-State" jersey doesn't get kicked out of school.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 10, 2015, 06:05:19 PM »

Well given what you said earlier ("are you kidding..."), and the portion of the article where the guy tried to frame it as a school regulation issue and not a first amendment issue, I wasn't expecting the quick 180.

Right, but a little more than just a tweet.

I read that article after but I certainly view it as a 180 at all. I was showing that this issue has ambiguity. I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment that a student couldn't be expelled for hate speech, I mean it's already happened.
http://college.usatoday.com/2015/03/20/not-only-was-the-sae-student-expulsion-legal-it-was-right/

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: November 10, 2015, 06:07:20 PM »
These type of arguments are exhausting.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 10, 2015, 06:21:38 PM »
 :billdance:
These type of arguments are exhausting.

Yeah, but I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy watching MIR flail away as these campus radicals become increasingly fascist.  :popcorn:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 10, 2015, 06:29:40 PM »
The notion that a university where the climate is such that a gay African American male can be elected student body president inherently engages in INSTITUTIONALIZED racism is patently abused on every conceivable level.   To think such literally renders the precept of institutionalized racism to the lowest and most impotent level of impact possible.   

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 10, 2015, 06:34:44 PM »
The notion that a university where the climate is such that a gay African American male can be elected student body president inherently engages in INSTITUTIONALIZED racism is patently abused on every conceivable level.   To think such literally renders the precept of institutionalized racism to the lowest and most impotent level of impact possible.   

yeah I mean the US elected a black president and people are crazy enough to think racism exists there too!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: November 10, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »
dax got a some new bullet points from kietz today  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 10, 2015, 06:39:31 PM »

yeah I mean the US elected a black president and people are crazy enough to think racism exists there too!

This isn't about racism in a population of 350 million people spread across 50 states on a continent,  it's about the ridiculous claim of "institutionalized racism" based on allegations (of which the university took immediate action when the perp was known), and policies that were very likely driven by budgetary constraints.   Where's the picture of the rabbit with the pancake on its head?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: November 10, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »
dax got a some new bullet points from kietz today  :thumbs:

Didn't listen to one second of Keitzman today and rarely ever do anymore.   But thanks for the update.. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: November 10, 2015, 06:48:49 PM »
I wholeheartedly disagree with your assessment that a student couldn't be expelled for hate speech, I mean it's already happened.
http://college.usatoday.com/2015/03/20/not-only-was-the-sae-student-expulsion-legal-it-was-right/
I really don't know what to tell you.  The article you linked was written by two undergrads and doesn't cite a single bit of legal authority to support their conclusion that expelling the students was legal.  Frankly, it's a ridiculous article and I'm surprised USA Today even published it.  And just because OU got away with it doesn't mean much -- there have been countless instances of unchallenged constitutional violations throughout history.  Just because the "victim" doesn't challenge it in court doesn't make it legal or right. 

I pulled the following cases from a footnote in this article (http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1035&context=wmborj) which is written by one of the country's leading constitutional scholars. I'd invite you to read a few of these cases though, if you're genuinely interested:

http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/774/1163/1425792/(holding that university rule imposing punishment on students who took part in hate speech was unconstitutional)
http://cehdclass.gmu.edu/jkozlows/gmu1ay.htm(holding that discipline of fraternity by university for racial and sexual stereotypes at a social event was a violation of students' First Amendment rights)
http://www.bc.edu/bc_org/avp/cas/comm/free_speech/doe.html(holding that university policy against "stigmatizing or victimizing" individuals based on race, ethnicity, religion, etc., included within its scope speech protected by the First Amendment)

The fraternity one is the shortest and probably the most interesting.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #692 on: November 10, 2015, 07:00:22 PM »
To Devil's Advocate this, in a tense environment, police intervention could be seen as preventative.  No one said someone would be arrested, but I can imagine if a group of drunk idiots decided it they had enough with this "nonsense" and wanted to go to tell "those niggers to go home" it would be good if you overhead them on their way to a confrontation to tip off the cops.   Of course I could be completely wrong about this motivation, but I suspect it has its roots in trying head off further escalation in an already tense situation.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: November 10, 2015, 07:03:56 PM »
To Devil's Advocate this, in a tense environment, police intervention could be seen as preventative.  No one said someone would be arrested, but I can imagine if a group of drunk idiots decided it they had enough with this "nonsense" and wanted to go to tell "those niggers to go home" it would be good if you overhead them on their way to a confrontation to tip off the cops.   Of course I could be completely wrong about this motivation, but I suspect it has its roots in trying head off further escalation in an already tense situation.

yeah, this is my feeling as well.  i couldn't quite formulate it fully though.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: November 10, 2015, 07:09:16 PM »
how often do the caucasians on this blog acknowledge their privilege? i stick with a breakfast/lunch/dinner routine so i don't forget. sometimes i get thrown off if i have a mid morning snack, but i suppose there's no harm in extra acknowledgement.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: November 10, 2015, 07:17:53 PM »
how often do the caucasians on this blog acknowledge their privilege? i stick with a breakfast/lunch/dinner routine so i don't forget. sometimes i get thrown off if i have a mid morning snack, but i suppose there's no harm in extra acknowledgement.
I think about it every time I have to pee in public and waltz into a nice hotel lobby and no one gives me a second look.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: November 10, 2015, 07:19:44 PM »
I think about it every time I have to pee in public and waltz into a nice hotel lobby and no one gives me a second look.

i dress like a newly homeless person, so this privilege is not extended to me

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: November 10, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »
i appreciate your effort, michigancat

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: November 10, 2015, 07:20:10 PM »

i dress like a newly homeless person, so this privilege is not extended to me
I'm not far from that!

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: November 10, 2015, 10:59:36 PM »
This night. Yikes!