Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 93855 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #651 on: November 10, 2015, 04:44:29 PM »
Can you white people tell me why there's such an issue with acknowledging white male privilege or why some of you have a problem with the phrase? I mean the privilege comes with no repercussions of acknowledging it. I mean I can give a million examples of it existing so that can't be the issue.

i haven't read further in the thread yet, so hopefully i'm not being irrelevant.

it's stupid because the supposed "privilege" is mostly that American society functions more or less as it should for white people (i kinda reject the male part as irrelevant and/or misleading, or at a minimum different in nature) and less well for many non-white people.  the construct of society functioning properly as a privilege is backwards.  society should function for everyone.  what is identified as privilege is not privilege, it is the baseline.  groups deprived of this level of function are being repressed.

there are other elements of caught up in the construct of "white privilege" that are really separate (correlated, but nonetheless separate) issues.  the privileges of inherited wealth, class, etc.

another reason it's stupid, or at least useless, is that it is a conversation that leads nowhere.  "acknowledge your white privilege".  "i've been very fortunate, thanks."  - yay, issue resolved?

Thanks sys. I would say that this is an issue of semantics, the issues you bring up are legit issues. I think that if this issue is one that is consumed by the masses though your approach is a bit too nuanced to be properly discussed without getting into the weeds; white privilege is a very simple way to package this particular issue, not saying that's right but that's what it is.

I've addressed why I think it is important for powerful white people to acknowledge white privilege or as you put it why the basic functions of society are deceived for some, so I won't repeat myself.

Isn't that kinda the root of this whole issue (not just the white privilege talk but what's going on at Mizzou, and maybe even Yale) in general? The overgeneralization of a few people and applying overgeneralization to a larger audience because it's easier to understand and digest?

I don't think so. The Yale thing is stupid so I am not even going to speak to that. At Mizzou my best guess is that the root frustration is the lack of acknowledgement and action of any issue at all. It's not even at the point yet where the packaging is important, I think that's why the demands were so crudely simplistic. Again this is all conjecture on my part based on what my frustrations on race are and pretty much every conversation on race I've personally had with other black people.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: November 10, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »
By then, the mask has fallen.“Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?” an unusually frank protestor yells. “I need some muscle over here!”

The woman calling for muscle? An assistant professor of mass media at the University of Missouri ... who had previously asked the campus for help attracting media attention.

This is grounds or should be grounds for immediate termination of employment.   For too many reasons to even list.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 10, 2015, 04:46:39 PM »
i don't know who Claws is either?  is he a student at missouri?

:sdeek: omg dlew, you're the worst

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 10, 2015, 04:48:54 PM »
By then, the mask has fallen.“Who wants to help me get this reporter out of here?” an unusually frank protestor yells. “I need some muscle over here!”

The woman calling for muscle? An assistant professor of mass media at the University of Missouri ... who had previously asked the campus for help attracting media attention.

This is grounds or should be grounds for immediate termination of employment.   For too many reasons to even list.

You're going to be dissapointed

That's a given. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: November 10, 2015, 04:50:03 PM »

Absolutely. The school should probably have a talk with some of the students who were bullying the reporter, too.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 10, 2015, 04:53:15 PM »

You're going to be dissapointed

That's a given.

http://journalism.missouri.edu/2015/11/dean-david-kurpius-comments-on-students-coverage-of-protest-on-carnahan-quad/

Also, for clarification, Assistant Professor Melissa Click, featured in several videos confronting journalists, is not a faculty member in the Missouri School of Journalism.

She is a member of the MU Department of Communication in the College of Arts and Science. In that capacity she holds a courtesy appointment with the School of Journalism. Journalism School faculty members are taking immediate action to review that appointment.

Inciting violence and provoking a physical altercation on a public space. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 10, 2015, 04:53:44 PM »

He's #32.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=36341.0
lol oh.  that's why i didn't know.

And that's an interesting question.  I'm really not sure what would happen if a student said that there.  I don't think he could be expelled, but I wonder if he could have his scholarship revoked or kicked off the team.  Maybe not!

Anyhow that's a little different than the situation at issue regarding "speech codes" at universities and expelling students for violations regarding "hate speech" (however that's defined).  I could link you to some cases and scholarship if you'd be interested in learning about the legality of limiting student speech on campuses.

But the point is, universities (i.e. "the state") can't expel you ("punish you") based on the content of your protected speech. That's not a contentious thing to say.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:01:46 PM by Dlew12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: November 10, 2015, 05:00:51 PM »

He's #32.

And that's an interesting question.  I'm really not sure what would happen if a student said that there.  I don't think he could be expelled, but I wonder if he could have his scholarship revoked or kicked off the team.  Maybe not!

Anyhow that's a little different than the situation at issue regarding "speech codes" at universities and expelling students for violations regarding "hate speech" (however that's defined).  I could link you to some cases and scholarship if you'd be interested in learning about the legality of limiting student speech on campuses.

I think he would be expelled.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 10, 2015, 05:07:41 PM »

He's #32.

I think he would be expelled.
I think you would be surprised to learn about the speech rights afforded to students in university settings.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: November 10, 2015, 05:08:45 PM »
Remember when Joe Montgomery fired up the ole practice amp and cranked out a re-mix of 'Return to Sender' as 'Return to Kenya'?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: November 10, 2015, 05:09:05 PM »
The school absolutely should take action against students who are caught using hateful speech with other students, but using their police to go find them is a step too far.
what kind of action are you suggesting state schools should take against students who use "hate speech"?

The same sort of action they take against other students who violate the student handbook. Probation, maybe community service, maybe expulsion.
Are other violations of the student handbook constitutionally protected (even/especially) on college campuses?

Are you kidding? What do you think would happen if Claws was interviewed in the postgame and he said "the crowd was good but I saw a bunch of faggots and bull dikes in section 24 and I wish they would stay home with the other fairies?" Please tell me you're not getting confused about what free speech is.

He'd be punished by the team, but hopefully no one would call people who carry guns and cuffs to shut him up. He'd just lose the privilege of playing football, not be punished by a government (yes, cops are the government).

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: November 10, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »
The school absolutely should take action against students who are caught using hateful speech with other students, but using their police to go find them is a step too far.
what kind of action are you suggesting state schools should take against students who use "hate speech"?

The same sort of action they take against other students who violate the student handbook. Probation, maybe community service, maybe expulsion.
Are other violations of the student handbook constitutionally protected (even/especially) on college campuses?

Are you kidding? What do you think would happen if Claws was interviewed in the postgame and he said "the crowd was good but I saw a bunch of faggots and bull dikes in section 24 and I wish they would stay home with the other fairies?" Please tell me you're not getting confused about what free speech is.

He'd be punished by the team, but hopefully no one would call people who carry guns and cuffs to shut him up. He'd just lose the privilege of playing football, not be punished by a government (yes, cops are the government).

He also would lose the privilege of being a student at KSU. That also is not punishment by the government.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: November 10, 2015, 05:14:54 PM »

He also would lose the privilege of being a student at KSU. That also is not punishment by the government.
Are you asserting that it's not "punishment" or that KSU isn't "the government."  Disirregardlessly it doesn't matter because you'd be wrong on both accounts.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: November 10, 2015, 05:16:05 PM »
For on point story about how unhinged and utterly unaware this group is, it absolutely screams privilege in its own right:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/how-campus-activists-are-weaponizing-the-safe-space/415080/

The modern college student . . . only their rights matter.

its hypocrisy. corner Tim Wolfe outside Kauffman Center, video him struggling to answer a question, use that to further your cause, but when the media turns the cameras on the protesters, its threatening.

Also this:
“We ask for no media in the parameters so the place where people live, fellowship, and sleep can be protected from twisted insincere narratives,”

The quad isn't your house, church, or dorm room.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: November 10, 2015, 05:20:37 PM »
Hunger striker is like a multi millionaire?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: November 10, 2015, 05:23:15 PM »
I believe black people who say it's mumped up for black people at mizzou.

That's really stupid, trim. People not at Mizzou have a much better grasp of what people at Mizzou are going through.

Just realized I should've been more clear in that I believe black people who've been or are at mizzou who say it's mumped up for black people at mizzou.

Not acceptable trim, sorry bud

You telling me that hunger striker got over on me and it's really fine for black people at mizzou? 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: November 10, 2015, 05:28:27 PM »

Hunger striker is like a multi millionaire?
stud!
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: November 10, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »

You still talking about that call the cops thing? Man you just want to be mad.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: November 10, 2015, 05:33:25 PM »

Are you asserting that it's not "punishment" or that KSU isn't "the government."  Disirregardlessly it doesn't matter because you'd be wrong on both accounts.

https://www.eab.com/daily-briefing/2015/03/11/can-schools-expel-students-for-racial-slurs-experts-are-divided

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: November 10, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »
MIR, I'm sorry but this is a very complicated, large issue, that is bigger than Mizzou, and I think its ok if we discuss all aspects of it. I've been extremely respectful of your posting and vulnerability in this thread, please don't paint me as "just wanting to be mad" because that's not fair to me, and I don't think I've really expressed that much anger. I'm not angry, but I think that the free speech issue is a big issue to this situation.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: November 10, 2015, 05:35:56 PM »
I believe black people who say it's mumped up for black people at mizzou.

That's really stupid, trim. People not at Mizzou have a much better grasp of what people at Mizzou are going through.

Just realized I should've been more clear in that I believe black people who've been or are at mizzou who say it's mumped up for black people at mizzou.

Not acceptable trim, sorry bud

You telling me that hunger striker got over on me and it's really fine for black people at mizzou?

Now you're getting it. He didn't eat for a week because he was mad at the media.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: November 10, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »
MIR, I'm a little confused-- do you think that link you posted refuted my point at all?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: November 10, 2015, 05:42:05 PM »
MIR, I'm sorry but this is a very complicated, large issue, that is bigger than Mizzou, and I think its ok if we discuss all aspects of it. I've been extremely respectful of your posting and vulnerability in this thread, please don't paint me as "just wanting to be mad" because that's not fair to me, and I don't think I've really expressed that much anger. I'm not angry, but I think that the free speech issue is a big issue to this situation.

I'm dubious to your intentions because you took a tweet with no context and you have more than once tried to give it a grander role within the framework of this story. The cops sent a tweet out saying that you should call them if someone says something mean and that was the extent of it. No one asked for that, no one has responded with "oh that's the perfect solution, thanks for that." I haven't seen a single tweet, post, or column advocating for what the pd did with that tweet so forgive me for being annoyed at you caring so much about it and throwing it into a larger context.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 10, 2015, 05:44:57 PM »
FTR, the police thing was a university-wide email, according to the Volokh article.