Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 92902 times)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #475 on: November 10, 2015, 11:42:42 AM »
See dax as an example of someone who is confused about what white privilege is
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 10, 2015, 11:43:28 AM »

Not confused in the least. 

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 10, 2015, 11:43:37 AM »
White ppl definitely have advantages and are privileged, but I don't know why he had to admit it, everyone knows it. Doesn't mean our lives are handed on a silver platter tho. After it's admitted, what does it solve? I guess that's my question?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 10, 2015, 11:44:30 AM »
At KSU purple cats university, 2.3% of faculty and staff are identified as "black".   :surprised:

And?
I was surprised it was that low.  It is lower than known racist institution MIZ-ZOU.  Your thoughts?

Kansas State does not have a history of institutionalized racism and as already discussed have been progressive with these types of issues.

Next.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 10, 2015, 11:45:28 AM »

Willfully ignorant?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: November 10, 2015, 11:46:26 AM »

Willfully ignorant?

Not interested in a game of semantics and opinions.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 10, 2015, 11:47:05 AM »
Dax's white guilt leads him to ignore his privilege.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: November 10, 2015, 11:47:21 AM »
White ppl definitely have advantages and are privileged, but I don't know why he had to admit it, everyone knows it. Doesn't mean our lives are handed on a silver platter tho. After it's admitted, what does it solve? I guess that's my question?

Everyone doesn't know it, I am absolutely telling you that most people think that true equality exists in this country.  I'd be willing to bet that more people think that minorities have more rights than the majority than people that acknowledge the existence of white male privilege.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: November 10, 2015, 11:47:59 AM »

Willfully ignorant?

Not interested in a game of semantics and opinions.

Deliberately misrepresenting?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 10, 2015, 11:48:44 AM »
Unaware white people love to play the victim

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 10, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
Can you white people tell me why there's such an issue with acknowledging white male privilege or why some of you have a problem with the phrase? I mean the privilege comes with no repercussions of acknowledging it. I mean I can give a million examples of it existing so that can't be the issue.

I'm happy to admit I've been blessed in life by things that I had no control over. Solid parents, access to education, safe home environment, lack of oppression because of race or religion. I'll admit being a WASP in the midwest eliminates a lot of barriers others have faced, and getting to go to the schools I went to gave me a head start in life. White male privilege? Sure. 

I don't like being made to feel guilty about it.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 10, 2015, 11:49:36 AM »
Can you white people tell me why there's such an issue with acknowledging white male privilege or why some of you have a problem with the phrase? I mean the privilege comes with no repercussions of acknowledging it. I mean I can give a million examples of it existing so that can't be the issue.

I think life can be hard (work, bills, kids, keeping a marriage together, etc) and most people end up failing in some way or the other or have personal shortcomings in certain ways and failing even when the deck is stacked in your favor is not something that most would want to admit or even really spend time trying to think about. it's like a double fail.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 10, 2015, 11:51:01 AM »

Everyone doesn't know it, I am absolutely telling you that most people think that true equality exists in this country.  I'd be willing to bet that more people think that minorities have more rights than the majority than people that acknowledge the existence of white male privilege.
Well that's absolutely rough ridin' stupid and i'm sorry you have to deal with these dolts.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 10, 2015, 11:51:21 AM »

No, most people understand that equality doesn't exist, and most people actually understand that it's working both ways more-so then ever in this day and age.   There are also minority groups in this country who went through the process and the struggle who are quite pissed off about the privilege being heaped on certain groups of minorities who did not have to, as they would say, walk in their shoes.   

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: November 10, 2015, 11:51:57 AM »
Holy crap! This dumb, bitch!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 10, 2015, 11:52:07 AM »
I. we demand that the University of Missouri system president, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology for the Concerned Students 1–9 – 5–0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1–9 – 5–0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and Leslie refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department use excessive force with demonstrators.

Part of this is ridiculous.  So the president is supposed to just get up and say "hey guys sorry for being white and for all the privilege's it's brought me.  I totally go to where I am because of my skin color and not hard work" 

Also asking him to recognize what we know exists 'systems of oppression' at some level in every college is stupid.  What's next every white university is supposed to apologize for their 'white male privilege?  There's other demands that are poorly worded too, this one just stands out the most.

Those terms were supposed to be negotiated, he didn't have to agree to do that to appease the group.

Also I completely disagree with the bolded part for a couple of reasons. One saying that this exists at some level at every college is a cop out, and frankly isn't relevant to the situation at Missouri. What do you want them to say, "oh well this happens everywhere so we shouldn't force someone to acknowledge the problems we're having here." Secondly, it is important for the president to acknowledge that these things exist so that people can acknowledge that the issue exists. The white president vocally acknowledging these issues carries much more weight than black students talking about it.  People tend to marginalize the viewpoints of black people talking about what they are experiencing. It's amazing how some people are experts on others experienced.

I read and thought about your post and I don't think it's a cop out because it's true.  And I'm trying to look at the bigger picture, so even though it isn't relevant to Missouri it's relevant to society.  I'm pretty sure everyone already knows it exists too so the president's acknowledgement of the obvious isn't necessary.  It also could potentially open a floodgate of protests at universities across the country demanding the same of their president.
@lopakman

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 10, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »
Unaware white people love to play the victim

Where have I played the victim?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 10, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »
I have a problem with the phrase because I think it's a little demeaning in the same way that I don't think black students should have to publicly acknowledge the privileges they receive in different admissions criteria.  That's probably apples to oranges, but I think requesting that someone admit to receiving a benefit that they had really no control over, as a means to undercut certain things they've achieved, is insulting.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 10, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »

Because it's complete bullshit and it's a cop out for deeper underlying issues which should be of greater focus.  I can also provide a million examples of it not existing and white people overcoming obstacles to achieve success, such as my dad who was born in a one pump gas station that my grandparents owned in a small rural town because they couldn't afford to go to the hospital. 

Asian-Americans earn more money and have a lower unemployment rate then any other demographic group.  So do you believe there is an asian privilege in America?
@lopakman

Offline Reboulet

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 10, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »
At KSU purple cats university, 2.3% of faculty and staff are identified as "black".   :surprised:

And?
I was surprised it was that low.  It is lower than known racist institution MIZ-ZOU.  Your thoughts?

Kansas State does not have a history of institutionalized racism and as already discussed have been progressive with these types of issues.

Next.

For me, this is the issue to focus on: Mizzou is the only major university in a racist state. If a minority student wants the P5 experience, there is only one in-state school to choose. Once they arrive on campus, they shouldn't be subjected to epithets. For F's sake, if there's one place in that entire backwards state where they should feel welcome and wanted, it's the flagship university of Missouri.

The school president failed to do that, as did every school president before him. Hopefully the next person can drag that school toward racial equality, and hopefully that helps move the needle on the rest of Missouri as well.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #495 on: November 10, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »
I wonder if feminists are pissed that the racists high jacked their "male privilege" spaghetti monster by simply adding "white" to the front of it?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: November 10, 2015, 12:20:27 PM »

And?

Next.

For me, this is the issue to focus on: Mizzou is the only major university in a racist state. If a minority student wants the P5 experience, there is only one in-state school to choose. Once they arrive on campus, they shouldn't be subjected to epithets. For F's sake, if there's one place in that entire backwards state where they should feel welcome and wanted, it's the flagship university of Missouri.

The school president failed to do that, as did every school president before him. Hopefully the next person can drag that school toward racial equality, and hopefully that helps move the needle on the rest of Missouri as well.

Sure they shouldn't be subjected to epithets.   I believe the one "drunk college student" was caught and was suspended pending a disciplinary hearing.   In all the other incidents they don't know who the perps were.   What would you suggest?   Campus lockdown?  Campus re-education?  No pickup trucks?  PC speech police (oh wait, MUPD is taking care of that)? 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: November 10, 2015, 12:24:23 PM »
I believe black people who say it's mumped up for black people at mizzou.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 10, 2015, 12:25:28 PM »

I have a problem with the phrase because I think it's a little demeaning in the same way that I don't think black students should have to publicly acknowledge the privileges they receive in different admissions criteria.  That's probably apples to oranges, but I think requesting that someone admit to receiving a benefit that they had really no control over, as a means to undercut certain things they've achieved, is insulting.

Dlew and Cartier did a pretty good job of explaining a couple of my issues with the phrase, but my main issue is that "white privilege" isn't at or near the top of the list of privileges that I've been granted for being born as me.  There are several I would trade my skin color privilege for.

:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: November 10, 2015, 12:27:09 PM »

I'm happy to admit I've been blessed in life by things that I had no control over. Solid parents, access to education, safe home environment, lack of oppression because of race or religion. I'll admit being a WASP in the midwest eliminates a lot of barriers others have faced, and getting to go to the schools I went to gave me a head start in life. White male privilege? Sure. 

I don't like being made to feel guilty about it.

You can acknowledge the privilege without feeling the guilt, that's all yours. No one can make you feel guilty.