Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 93854 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »
'These people'

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 09, 2015, 10:26:31 PM »
The next time these people mob up, they are going to demand to have the right to vote, amirite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 09, 2015, 10:31:47 PM »
Luked, but worth revisiting. Vox: I'm a Liberal Professor, and My Liberal Students Terrify Me.

Reap. Sow.

seems like professors and grad students should organize and fight back.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 09, 2015, 10:32:46 PM »
And right on cue, okiecat tossed in a racism jab. Hey bad person - the PC mob is composed of all races.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 09, 2015, 10:33:21 PM »
The no media thing is extremely dumb, especially as they tweet out stuff on social media, and take away their student journalist from the interaction of this schools "successful event". However, good for them and stuff, it's still a little weird. "Be heard, on our own agenda!"

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 09, 2015, 10:37:49 PM »

And right on cue, okiecat tossed in a racism jab. Hey bad person - the PC mob is composed of all races.

You should be more like Dax and just own up to who you are

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 09, 2015, 10:38:28 PM »
That makes sense. See the "swag surfin'" tweet wacky shared. I can see why they wouldn't want jerky media guys around if that's the portrayal they get.

they retweeted a tweet celebrating the swag surf, so i don't think they objected to that portrayal.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 09, 2015, 10:45:59 PM »
That makes sense. See the "swag surfin'" tweet wacky shared. I can see why they wouldn't want jerky media guys around if that's the portrayal they get.

they retweeted a tweet celebrating the swag surf, so i don't think they objected to that portrayal.

yeah, I noticed that after my post. I really don't know.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 09, 2015, 10:55:50 PM »
I noticed that after my post. I really don't know.

you're a sorta liberal engineer and missouri's possibly liberal students confuse you.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 09, 2015, 11:05:15 PM »
I'd say this has me confused

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 09, 2015, 11:13:27 PM »

I wasn't aware of it before yesterday but K-State has done a very good job with inclusivity initatives. I was attempting to find information on minority faculty when I found a page laying it all out, wish I would have posted it.

Not the least bit surprising you were utterly unaware of an initiative started during the Wefald administration.

:lol: it was actually within K-State 2025, but thank you for talking out of your ass again

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 09, 2015, 11:23:57 PM »
I don't understand the anti-media thing at all.

they want to control their own narrative and they are suspicious of the media as being an arm of the establishment.  they aren't wrong on either front.  just wrong about having the legal and ethical right to dictate the actions of other individuals peaceably occupying public space.

Second best post in the thread

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 09, 2015, 11:27:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/663900683960119296

While I don't really like that they are shutting down the the media. I get their angst from the sense that the media has been pretty crappy for a long time. Mostly this sort of video to me proves once again that media, and really all of us, aren't really ready for the internet. Such videos like this didn't exist 10 years and more ago cause technology wasn't there. Nowadays everyone has a smartphone, everyone has a "personal scoop" on something and we're getting to see events covered from so many angles that was just never even remotely possible before. Before where it was just a few reporters embedded with troops describing massive amounts of action in a few concise sentences on a page, or reporting on a protest happening on the other side of the country through print or a few snippets of videos/pictures from a select few it becomes easy to distill a complex event into a concise narrative, making it easy to follow.

Now we have this amalgam of multiple narratives happening all at once in real time, making it super muddled, super confusing, and so easy to have this story (once again thanks to technology to have a platform to do this with) to be dissected and split into a zillion different opinions and really getting everyone even more riled up than necessary. I assert such crap we're seeing this in video, as with so many other videos out there from other events has happened all the time and in all places. The difference between someone getting all up in the media's business in the 60's and being able to tell their story without having a go between was zilch vs today where a simple quick vid shows both the best and worst of every event, real, raw, and laid bare. Sure, the media has all the right to be there. Sure the protesters should respect the reporter who has a job to do, but also sure is it completely possible that the story those reporters were going to write was going to be the complete and asinine drivel that most of the media has descended to over the years.

Personally, I'm glad that the Mizzou's students organized together to get what they thought was right done, and did it without having to need to have the entire country descend upon them to get it accomplished (well, until the football team really blew it open). If the President didn't do what he's put there to do, be a leader and protect his students from voiced opinions by punting the issues and kicking the can down the road, than he shouldn't be President.

Man, this is fantastic.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 09, 2015, 11:31:42 PM »
The no media thing is extremely dumb, especially as they tweet out stuff on social media, and take away their student journalist from the interaction of this schools "successful event". However, good for them and stuff, it's still a little weird. "Be heard, on our own agenda!"

It's flawed logic for sure, it really isn't any more cynical than that. This is emotional and people acting on emotion don't always do everything right.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: November 09, 2015, 11:33:29 PM »

It's flawed logic for sure, it really isn't any more cynical than that. This is emotional and people acting on emotion don't always do everything right.
Good point.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 09, 2015, 11:39:52 PM »

I also think some good movements sometimes get coopted by some really dumb/bad people like the "we need some muscle over here" professor.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 09, 2015, 11:45:30 PM »
I enjoyed some of the conversation about the issue at Yale. IMO the issues diverge at the Yale thing being the issue of a singularity and the Mizzou thing is one that is systematic. Look there were mistakes made all over the place with the Yale issue. There was nothing wrong with the initial message, all it was doing was encouraging people to think about the thoughts and feelings of others, it made no mandates, if you didn't like it you could have still went as blackface Beyonce or sitting bull or whatever.

I thought the professor's reaction was stupid and I don't at all agree with it. I also understand the student's issue with her having that opinion when she and her husband essentially oversee housing and student life for that group or whatever. Where I depart is the students trying to stifle thoughts and opinion, also their claims that they don't feel safe with those people staying in their roles is absurd.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 09, 2015, 11:52:10 PM »

I wasn't aware of it before yesterday but K-State has done a very good job with inclusivity initatives. I was attempting to find information on minority faculty when I found a page laying it all out, wish I would have posted it.

Not the least bit surprising you were utterly unaware of an initiative started during the Wefald administration.

:lol: it was actually within K-State 2025, but thank you for talking out of your ass again

Found it

http://www.k-state.edu/today/announcement.php?id=17336

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 10, 2015, 01:11:11 AM »

Wefald started the trend and the emphasis, totally lifted from his initiatives.   But if you want to think its all Kirk Schulz's idea go ahead :rolleyes

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 10, 2015, 01:13:14 AM »
I also think some good movements sometimes get coopted by some really dumb/bad people like the "we need some muscle over here" professor.

you're scapegoating.  the professor was adhering to exactly the same message as the rest of the group.  a message that was coordinated enough that it was expressed by the group's twitter account and on signs planted in the ground.

the only real difference is that the professor articulated an implicit threat of violence that the earlier group left unspoken.  kind of ironic, since her willingness to articulate such a threat would almost certainly fall under the category of "white privilege" (such a stupid term).  although it should really also considered female privilege, since most white males would be self-aware enough to not escalate a confrontation with a similar threat.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 10, 2015, 01:14:41 AM »

You should be more like Dax and just own up to who you are

Yeah, I owned up to disagreeing with some things.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 10, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »

you're scapegoating.  the professor was adhering to exactly the same message as the rest of the group.  a message that was coordinated enough that it was expressed by the group's twitter account and on signs planted in the ground.

the only real difference is that the professor articulated an implicit threat of violence that the earlier group left unspoken.  kind of ironic, since her willingness to articulate such a threat would almost certainly fall under the category of "white privilege" (such a stupid term).  although it should really also considered female privilege, since most white males would be self-aware enough to not escalate a confrontation with a similar threat.
Maybe so.  But I think it's especially shameful when a college professor engages in or endorses juvenile bullying tactics like that.  She should really know better.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 10, 2015, 08:09:15 AM »
I. we demand that the University of Missouri system president, Tim Wolfe, writes a handwritten apology for the Concerned Students 1–9 – 5–0 demonstrators and holds a press conference in the Mizzou Student Center reading the letter. In the letter and at the press conference, Tim Wolfe must acknowledge his white male privilege, recognize that systems of oppression exist, and provide a verbal commitment to fulfilling Concerned Student 1–9 – 5–0 demands. We want Tim Wolfe to admit to his gross negligence, allowing his driver to hit one of the demonstrators, consenting to the physical violence of bystanders, and Leslie refusing to intervene when Columbia Police Department use excessive force with demonstrators.

Part of this is ridiculous.  So the president is supposed to just get up and say "hey guys sorry for being white and for all the privilege's it's brought me.  I totally go to where I am because of my skin color and not hard work" 

Also asking him to recognize what we know exists 'systems of oppression' at some level in every college is stupid.  What's next every white university is supposed to apologize for their 'white male privilege?  There's other demands that are poorly worded too, this one just stands out the most.
@lopakman

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 10, 2015, 08:16:16 AM »

Maybe so.  But I think it's especially shameful when a college professor engages in or endorses juvenile bullying tactics like that.  She should really know better.
When you're a college professor of communications, it's the dumbest thing you could do! She gone!