Author Topic: Snyder  (Read 17276 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Snyder
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »
Posted too soon.  Weren't some people - and why, I have no idea - questioning the women hoops coach hire's resume, particularly his record the season that concluded right when we hired him?

Posted too soon again.  Never mind, answered my own question.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=7911.msg1070750#msg1070750

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2015, 10:36:58 PM »
On the LHC Bill Snyder show tonight I fully expected him to look and sound defeated, didn't really appear that way, seemed in decent spirits.  Then I found $5.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2015, 10:41:52 PM »
On the LHC LHC Bill Snyder show tonight I fully expected him to look and sound defeated, didn't really appear that way, seemed in decent spirits.  Then I found $5.

hey, things are looking up  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2015, 10:52:24 PM »
I kind of feel bad about "Old Snyder" now.  I was much more brash in my younger days.  Also it looks awful  :lol:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2015, 10:58:42 PM »
I kind of feel bad about "Old Snyder" now.  I was much more brash in my younger days.  Also it looks awful  :lol:
Well son, the funny thing about regret is it's better to regret something that you have done than to regret something that you haven't done. 
And by the way, if you see your mom this weekend, would you be sure to tell her SATAN, SATAN, SATAN.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2015, 11:37:32 PM »
Posted too soon.  Weren't some people - and why, I have no idea - questioning the women hoops coach hire's resume, particularly his record the season that concluded right when we hired him?

You found that, read it, saw you weren't using it in the proper context and posted it anyway. My objection wasn't his record, my objection was that I didn't think it was the right person. Incidentally, the person I wanted is still at WSU and she got into a little trouble in the spring, I guess I was wrong.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2015, 11:50:19 PM »

You found that, read it, saw you weren't using it in the proper context and posted it anyway. My objection wasn't his record, my objection was that I didn't think it was the right person. Incidentally, the person I wanted is still at WSU and she got into a little trouble in the spring, I guess I was wrong.

http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=7911.msg1070766#msg1070766

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 19, 2015, 02:14:39 AM »

And that's not oscar at all, now is it?

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 19, 2015, 02:18:11 AM »
If you're struggling to think of what to get someone for Christmas: get them a fridge and watch their face light up when they open it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 19, 2015, 02:33:07 AM »

And that's not oscar at all, now is it?

Like I'd have any idea besides what you posted.  I'll take your March 2014 word for it that he and his resume were meh. 

Of course, it doesn't even matter.  Sans Laimbeer, nobody he'd hired for women hoops would've caused me to be optimistic about a football coaching search.

Currie does dumb things when it comes to humans.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 19, 2015, 10:50:16 AM »
As much as Currie has ask the big donors for expansion money.....you know he's gonna ask about not only what they want, but actually who they want........ and he should

now.....when it comes to the actual hire, it will be his baby, but I have to think it will come from the pool of big money suggestions

I just don't know if they are smart a football and stuff........
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 19, 2015, 11:00:25 AM »
As much as Currie has ask the big donors for expansion money.....you know he's gonna ask about not only what they want, but actually who they want........ and he should

now.....when it comes to the actual hire, it will be his baby, but I have to think it will come from the pool of big money suggestions

I would certainly think that the more you open up for money from those boosters, the more influence they expect.  Also, I would think it would make them feel more due results meaning changes would be made faster than usual. 

Who knows.  They could be the tuck'iest tucks in the world.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 19, 2015, 11:04:27 AM »

It appeared to me there was zero booster input on the Prince hire and if I was a booster of substance I would not want it to go down that way again.  Even more so with Currie's only hire that matters picked tied for 8th for the coming season.

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 19, 2015, 11:51:21 AM »

It appeared to me there was zero booster input on the Prince hire and if I was a booster of substance I would not want it to go down that way again.  Even more so with Currie's only hire that matters picked tied for 8th for the coming season.
right.....but that's before he asked the big guns for 200 million.........that's m, m, m, million bucks ..........I just can't see any way they don't have a right to put their 2 cents in......or 2 million, whatever

don't get me wrong......I don't have a problem with the Ice Family and the scoreboard donor, Jordy and who the hell else ever has dumped a bunch of money for our stuff .........just hope they don't throw out some coach they know the name of, but could be a dumbass    :dunno:
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 19, 2015, 11:59:41 AM »

I would certainly think that the more you open up for money from those boosters, the more influence they expect.  Also, I would think it would make them feel more due results meaning changes would be made faster than usual. 

Who knows.  They could be the tuck'iest tucks in the world.
The top donors are more comfortable with letting ADJC run things than you would think. When it comes to actions like choosing head coaches they have no input.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 19, 2015, 12:11:30 PM »
^nor should they IMO. I mean, there might be reason to question Currie's judgment, but I sure as hell don't want some 80 year-old oil baron picking a new head coach.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 19, 2015, 12:15:10 PM »
The top donors may not get to answer who, but I guarantee Currie has to take their phone calls, and with that some of the pressure of when can be exerted. 

I mean, no one drops a couple mill, then is fine just letting their displeasure not be heard.  Not saying those dropping mills are displeased just yet, FWIW.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #142 on: October 19, 2015, 12:21:47 PM »
It's an outlier primarily in that it's the only one that matters, as it took me a few minutes to even think of who you're talking about (the women hoops coach and the future soccer coach?).  And my skepticism isn't based strictly on actual coach hire(s).

The whole country took notice of that lady soccer hire.

Hey dumbasses, it was an outlier because it was the only one that was a complete WTF on its face. He has hired 8 coaches here, Weber is the only one with a questionable resume. If this was Currie's hallmark, he certainly would have done it with the tennis coach or cross country coach, no one would notice anyway. Obviously the measure of success of an Olympic sports coach is much different than a football coach but he's done a good job finding coaches that are ready to take the next step. Mittie's case he took a job that many thought to be a lateral move, within conference for more money. The Mittie hire was anagolous to Utah hiring Mike Leach after Wittingham leaves.

When I really try to take emotion out of it, I ask myself how many coaches, specifically in men's basketball, would want to come work at a place where we're fishing Western Union receipts out of grocery store trash cans and suspending players before a 2nd round NCAA tournament game for said transgression.

I mean if you have an overly zealous compliance department, which we obviously did at the time (hard to say if we're really that zealous now...), it's going to be hard to recruit and win.  You can, but it's just a lot harder.

I don't think a lot of guys wanted to sign up for that.

Also, the salary mark up on men's basketball seems to be really high for even lateral moves or slight upgrades.  Weber basically took Frank's exact contract.

I think Currie saw a good fit for what he wanted in a basketball coach.  Someone that wasn't going to cause him a lot of headaches in a the #2 sport, which would allow him to spend his time on his financial/capital raising priorities for football.  I just don't think he saw it backfiring the way it did a few years down the line, especially after all of his "due diligence".

Currie still strikes me as a very SEC-esque AD.  I'm not as concerned about football because I think it's clear that he knows what it means to this school and his career.  He's going to swing for the fences.

Now, he may overthink it and try to get really creative, or he can go after someone big.

The wild card is that it's been rumored that Snyder's contract says he has a say in who the next coach is.  I don't think he gets to pick, but he may get a vote. I haven't read the contract front to back, so someone can easily correct me there.  That may coincide with the rumors that Leavitt and Venables were both back in Manhattan shortly after the season was over last year.  Snyder will push Sean, but Currie won't pick him.  So, I think he has backup candidates that he'll push.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #143 on: October 19, 2015, 12:28:28 PM »
^nor should they IMO. I mean, there might be reason to question Currie's judgment, but I sure as hell don't want some 80 year-old oil baron picking a new head coach.

^FTR, this is exactly the type of person I want selecting a new coach
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 19, 2015, 12:34:31 PM »
Whether it's part of a mandated process or if a candidate contacts OBz on his own initiative, what do you think Bill would tell such a candidate who asks what it's like to work for John Currie?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 19, 2015, 12:42:49 PM »

Whether it's part of a mandated process or if a candidate contacts OBz on his own initiative, what do you think Bill would tell such a candidate who asks what it's like to work for John Currie?

Word for word, I imagine his response would go something like this:

"We have a tremendous program here with a lot of quality youngsters possessing many intrinsic values. I am proud of this school and our leadership." click

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 19, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »

Dealing with an AD is going to be par for the course at almost any school. 

The AD/Coach, GM/Coach dynamic is so weird.  You're technically reporting to someone that makes way, way less than you do.  If you are successful, the AD can't really touch you.  I doubt much of what Snyder does, day to day, is influenced by John Currie.

If the next guy came in there and won 9 games in the first year, there isn't much Currie could do.  He's really responsible for making the selection and basically being a figurehead and mouthpiece for the president and big money when things go bad.

Let's be honest; Frank could have stayed if he really wanted to.  He was just easily annoyed and didn't want to deal with Currie.  I bet if you asked him whether or not he'd leave if he had to make that choice all over again, he'd seriously consider that answer, regardless of Currie.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 19, 2015, 01:15:14 PM »
The top donors may not get to answer who, but I guarantee Currie has to take their phone calls, and with that some of the pressure of when can be exerted. 

I mean, no one drops a couple mill, then is fine just letting their displeasure not be heard.  Not saying those dropping mills are displeased just yet, FWIW.

When you really get down to it, how many coaches, realistically, are on the table?

If you have set criteria, then that narrows it down. If you go to the donors and say, "We are looking for someone with head coaching experience or a coordinator at an elite P5 program," then the donors will most likely throw their two cents in.  I'm guessing most of the suggestions will be measured or known commodities.

I bet if you asked the donors who they wanted, it would mimic a lot of the same names we toss around on message boards.  The pool of realistic candidates isn't that big.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 19, 2015, 01:19:55 PM »
ice family coach

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 19, 2015, 01:21:32 PM »

Dealing with an AD is going to be par for the course at almost any school. 

The AD/Coach, GM/Coach dynamic is so weird.  You're technically reporting to someone that makes way, way less than you do.  If you are successful, the AD can't really touch you.  I doubt much of what Snyder does, day to day, is influenced by John Currie.

If the next guy came in there and won 9 games in the first year, there isn't much Currie could do.  He's really responsible for making the selection and basically being a figurehead and mouthpiece for the president and big money when things go bad.

Let's be honest; Frank could have stayed if he really wanted to.  He was just easily annoyed and didn't want to deal with Currie.  I bet if you asked him whether or not he'd leave if he had to make that choice all over again, he'd seriously consider that answer, regardless of Currie.

So what do you think Bill would say?