Author Topic: Snyder  (Read 17333 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Snyder
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2015, 12:33:04 PM »
No one wants to work for bill, I thought that was well documented

I'm going to call bullshit on that.  Working for LHC Bill Snyder, and surviving, is something that would look good on a resume.

I mean he's a Hall of Fame coach and treated like a demigod by the media at this point.  Working for him would be like saying you learned from Yoda.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2015, 12:38:44 PM »
No one wants to work for bill, I thought that was well documented

I'm going to call bullshit on that.  Working for LHC LHC Bill Snyder, and surviving, is something that would look good on a resume.

I mean he's a Hall of Fame coach and treated like a demigod by the media at this point.  Working for him would be like saying you learned from Yoda.
Why was Rick Daris telling anyone that would listen that Beasley wanted out and hated it then? Haven't we had several assistant coaches move on laterally in the last six years?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 18, 2015, 12:39:50 PM »
Who was the last Snyder assistant that left to take a clearly superior job? Beilema?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2015, 12:42:29 PM »
If we get dusted the rest of the season, are the waters calm?

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 18, 2015, 12:43:49 PM »
Not if when

Offline A-Lishious

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 18, 2015, 12:53:22 PM »
I'm not saying it's not happening, but I can't conceivably think of a single reason why Bill would go to such great lengths to get Sean the job.  If he has to prop him up that much, he's obviously going to fail.

I'm beginning to think more and more that "Sean" is more or less a code word for his entire staff.  He knows that none of the coordinators have a chance to get the job, and Sean does due to his age and name.

Sean will survive the transition in some capacity because of his name.  It may be a cushy job in the AD or something, but he'll be fine.  But Dana, Seiler, Coleman, etc. will be cast out to the wind.  Administrative staff?  Gone.  If Currie goes outside the "family", there's a strong chance that all of these cultural/legacy things he's tried to build will simply disappear.  I don't think he's comfortable with that at all, and I think Sean is probably the reluctant, dutiful son that's been tasked with taking over for his father so all of his people inside of the program, including people like Joan, are taken care of.

I mean it all fits together if you believe the rumors that Sean doesn't even want the job.  I really believe that Bill is simply staying so everyone in his locus of control is taken care of.  He's just sticking around so everyone can keep their jobs.

When they went outside the family for the last hiring (Prince) did they have this type of turnover?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2015, 01:16:30 PM »
I believe the only coaching staff hold over was Sean.  The head equipment guy was also retained until he was blamed for the loss to Rutgers in the 06 Texas bowl, don't recall much else.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2015, 01:21:56 PM »
I'm not saying it's not happening, but I can't conceivably think of a single reason why Bill would go to such great lengths to get Sean the job.  If he has to prop him up that much, he's obviously going to fail.

I'm beginning to think more and more that "Sean" is more or less a code word for his entire staff.  He knows that none of the coordinators have a chance to get the job, and Sean does due to his age and name.

Sean will survive the transition in some capacity because of his name.  It may be a cushy job in the AD or something, but he'll be fine.  But Dana, Seiler, Coleman, etc. will be cast out to the wind.  Administrative staff?  Gone.  If Currie goes outside the "family", there's a strong chance that all of these cultural/legacy things he's tried to build will simply disappear.  I don't think he's comfortable with that at all, and I think Sean is probably the reluctant, dutiful son that's been tasked with taking over for his father so all of his people inside of the program, including people like Joan, are taken care of.

I mean it all fits together if you believe the rumors that Sean doesn't even want the job.  I really believe that Bill is simply staying so everyone in his locus of control is taken care of.  He's just sticking around so everyone can keep their jobs.

The next coach better talk Sean into remaining the special teams coordinator, we have had the best special teams in the country the last 20 years and we need to keep that edge.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2015, 01:22:47 PM »
I believe the only coaching staff hold over was Sean.  The head equipment guy was also retained until he was blamed for the loss to Rutgers in the 06 Texas bowl, don't recall much else.

Mo

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2015, 01:26:10 PM »

Shorty wasn't blamed, he was held accountable for a mistake he made, it did look like we were playing on ice skates. Not holding people responsible is exactly what is being discussed itt that Snyder is not doing.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2015, 01:43:08 PM »

The next coach better talk Sean into remaining the special teams coordinator, we have had the best special teams in the country the last 20 years and we need to keep that edge.

He won't work for another coach.  They will move him upstairs, he will hire Tate/Ross and they will settle in for 25 years.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2015, 01:50:22 PM »
honest question: how much better shape are we in now than 2009?

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 18, 2015, 01:55:28 PM »
09 was better at all the skill positions if you count Freeman (which I do)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #88 on: October 18, 2015, 02:05:03 PM »

Well, we have 85 guys on scholarship, about $175 million in stadium/facility upgrades (with more on the way), and we're three years removed from a Big 12 title.  The AD has money to pay this coaching staff nearly $6 million a year in total.

I'd say it's night and day considering the financial and facility constraints we saw ten years ago.  This is actually a pretty good job.  I know we're blasting the talent, but there's good front line talent to work with.  I mean, Christ, we have multiple Gatorade POY's from their respective states, a high 3-Star dual threat QB that should have four more years of eligibility, and if the guy is a decent recruiter at all, should be able to keep Thompson in the fold.

I keep saying his name over and over again, but I'd have to believe Justin Fuente would take this job.  Especially if we are willing to pay $3 million a year with an understanding that if he has quick success, we can go into the $4 million range like Baylor did with Briles. 

At the very, very least, Venables would come back.  And that's not a bad fall back option.  Currie just has to be willing to make that call.  I mean Philip Montgomery would definitely listen if they're that desperate for someone with HC experience.

I think MIR (don't want to misrepresent his stance) has been saying, and I agree, that this is a year where good openings may be limited.  Obviously, there's USC and So. Carolina, but most of the major powers are entrenched right now.  The Big Ten powers are set with established or new guys that they won't fire.  The SEC seems set.  I guess Malzahn's seat may be a little warm, but nothing to necessitate making a move right now.  Arkansas...maybe.  I think Maryland is a dog crap job, but they may say the same about us.

Overall, I think this is a year with good coaches are available and openings will be relatively low compared to the average.  That's the time you need to make a transition.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 18, 2015, 02:54:41 PM »
Arkansas isn't opening, Bielema has a $12 million buyout, Auburn isn't either Gus is fine.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2015, 02:56:54 PM »
Inspire me to think Schulz/Currie will hire a coach that will be allowed to and is capable of making KSU football nationally relevant.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2015, 02:58:12 PM »
If we want Fuente it needs to happen this off season IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2015, 03:08:23 PM »
If we want Fuente it needs to happen this off season IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before the offseason

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »
Inspire me to think Schulz/Currie will hire a coach that will be allowed to and is capable of making KSU football nationally relevant.

I hate when people try to compare Currie replacing Snyder with Frank, the situations couldn't be more different. Currie's rationale for why he had to hire good guy oscar was incredibly flawed and stupid, no one has to worry about the highest priority being "a good yes man, who will bring in high character players, and will keep us out of the NCAA doghouse." Besides ego is Currie's issue, not intelligence. He has to know that doing something like he did with the basketball coach will not only get him fired here but would likely end his life as an athletic director at a major university.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2015, 04:40:52 PM »

I hate when people try to compare Currie replacing Snyder with Frank, the situations couldn't be more different. Currie's rationale for why he had to hire good guy oscar was incredibly flawed and stupid, no one has to worry about the highest priority being "a good yes man, who will bring in high character players, and will keep us out of the NCAA doghouse." Besides ego is Currie's issue, not intelligence. He has to know that doing something like he did with the basketball coach will not only get him fired here but would likely end his life as an athletic director at a major university.

Not inspired.

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2015, 04:48:05 PM »
The only reason I am NOT completely convinced we are mumped with Currie making the next hire is that I really believe that Currie is a massively selfish, self Interested, egomaniac who is deathly terrified of failure. 

Now, I also think he doesn't know crap about picking coaches, so there is that.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2015, 04:52:54 PM »
Let's just hope Phil Fulmer picks a better coach for us than Gene Keady did.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2015, 04:55:15 PM »
Let's just hope Phil Fulmer picks a better coach for us than Gene Keady did.

:lol:

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2015, 05:05:02 PM »
Who was Phil's best man  :Chirp:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2015, 05:33:02 PM »

Not inspired.

Let's be real, you don't want to be, you are smart enough to find reasons on your own.