Author Topic: Snyder  (Read 17273 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Snyder
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2015, 05:38:01 PM »
Let's be real, you don't want to be, you are smart enough to find reasons on your own.

I get everything you said and why he should act appropriately; I just don't think he will.  Pete's post balancing the factors sums it up pretty well.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2015, 06:09:39 PM »
Let's be real, you don't want to be, you are smart enough to find reasons on your own.

I get everything you said and why he should act appropriately; I just don't think he will.  Pete's post balancing the factors sums it up pretty well.

His other hires have been very good, so no I don't think not knowing how to hire a coach is a prevalent factor. His Weber hire is a pretty obvious outlier.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2015, 06:37:45 PM »

His other hires have been very good, so no I don't think not knowing how to hire a coach is a prevalent factor. His Weber hire is a pretty obvious outlier.

It's an outlier primarily in that it's the only one that matters, as it took me a few minutes to even think of who you're talking about (the women hoops coach and the future soccer coach?).  And my skepticism isn't based strictly on actual coach hire(s).

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2015, 06:58:41 PM »
The whole country took notice of that lady soccer hire.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2015, 07:00:44 PM »

I know his name, but probably only because of Tobias.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2015, 07:40:47 PM »

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »
Currie hired Weber.  I've tried to support Weber and hoped it worked out.  But that doesn't change the fact that it was just an epic horrible hire. F Currie.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2015, 07:54:06 PM »
Currie knew weber would suck ass after the first season, he didn't care because he didn't expect to be here to deal with it.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2015, 07:56:24 PM »
honest question: how much better shape are we in now than 2009?

Well, we have 85 guys on scholarship, about $175 million in stadium/facility upgrades (with more on the way), and we're three years removed from a Big 12 title.  The AD has money to pay this coaching staff nearly $6 million a year in total.

I'd say it's night and day considering the financial and facility constraints we saw ten years ago.  This is actually a pretty good job.  I know we're blasting the talent, but there's good front line talent to work with.  I mean, Christ, we have multiple Gatorade POY's from their respective states, a high 3-Star dual threat QB that should have four more years of eligibility, and if the guy is a decent recruiter at all, should be able to keep Thompson in the fold.

I keep saying his name over and over again, but I'd have to believe Justin Fuente would take this job.  Especially if we are willing to pay $3 million a year with an understanding that if he has quick success, we can go into the $4 million range like Baylor did with Briles. 

At the very, very least, Venables would come back.  And that's not a bad fall back option.  Currie just has to be willing to make that call.  I mean Philip Montgomery would definitely listen if they're that desperate for someone with HC experience.

I think MIR (don't want to misrepresent his stance) has been saying, and I agree, that this is a year where good openings may be limited.  Obviously, there's USC and So. Carolina, but most of the major powers are entrenched right now.  The Big Ten powers are set with established or new guys that they won't fire.  The SEC seems set.  I guess Malzahn's seat may be a little warm, but nothing to necessitate making a move right now.  Arkansas...maybe.  I think Maryland is a dog crap job, but they may say the same about us.

Overall, I think this is a year with good coaches are available and openings will be relatively low compared to the average.  That's the time you need to make a transition.

Yeah I was just talking about the roster, but point taken on everything else. Honestly, if I had any faith whatsoever that we could/would/will hire Fuente/Venables I'd feel just fine about this season.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2015, 07:59:57 PM »
http://www.kstatesports.com/video/5622dc18e4b064317c4502d8

That line about "what coaches thought we could do" is rough ridin' hilarious.  That's what a player who can't control such things says when they get interviewed about a coach's shitty gameplan and know they're not allowed to say the gameplan rough ridin' sucked.

It's around 2:55 in the video.

Offline ELL3

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2015, 08:01:37 PM »
Derek Dooley had a winning season one time, he will do just fine in the Currie world

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2015, 08:04:04 PM »
What if Dimel watches that video and doesn't like Snyder's tone and look as he answered that question about the gameplan and suspends him?  :lol:

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2015, 08:08:46 PM »

That line about "what coaches thought we could do" is rough ridin' hilarious.  That's what a player who can't control such things says when they get interviewed about a coach's shitty gameplan and know they're not allowed to say the gameplan rough ridin' sucked.

Yeah posted that quote yesterday. Unreal.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2015, 08:12:42 PM »
Is he allowed to wear Alamo Bowl apparel?

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2015, 08:13:20 PM »

Yeah posted that quote yesterday. Unreal.

I'd seen the quote everywhere but thought there had to be a context loss or something.  Nope!

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2015, 08:49:04 PM »

that was dscott

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2015, 08:50:47 PM »
What if i told you a legendary head coach had no idea what the game plan was? An espn 30 for 30 brought to you by rev honey

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2015, 08:52:10 PM »

that was dscott

If you're saying the voice of the guy who asked Snyder about the passing strategy is D.Scott's, then I've either learned something about the effect of booze on voices or my computer speakers are mumped.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2015, 08:54:49 PM »

that was dscott

If you're saying the voice of the guy who asked Snyder about the passing strategy is D.Scott's, then I've either learned something about the effect of booze on voices or my computer speakers are mumped.
it was. Those were the tweets i was referring too earlier. Christ is everyone blocked by him now?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2015, 08:58:42 PM »
yeah that was not d. scott who asked the question that lead to the "that's what the coaches thought we could do"

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 18, 2015, 09:03:12 PM »
yeah that was not d. scott who asked the question that lead to the "that's what the coaches thought we could do"
okay maybe i am wrong then. Dscott asked what he thought about the fans leaving the game plan and changes at coordinator. I thought it was all the same guy. Regardless that presser was lol worthy and bill has no rough ridin' clue whats happening

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 18, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »
But for the prospect of getting destroyed, somebody could've done some follow-up questions about the organizational structure, but better safe than sorry.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 18, 2015, 09:16:35 PM »
It's an outlier primarily in that it's the only one that matters, as it took me a few minutes to even think of who you're talking about (the women hoops coach and the future soccer coach?).  And my skepticism isn't based strictly on actual coach hire(s).

Hey dumbasses, it was an outlier because it was the only one that was a complete WTF on its face. He has hired 8 coaches here, Weber is the only one with a questionable resume. If this was Currie's hallmark, he certainly would have done it with the tennis coach or cross country coach, no one would notice anyway. Obviously the measure of success of an Olympic sports coach is much different than a football coach but he's done a good job finding coaches that are ready to take the next step. Mittie's case he took a job that many thought to be a lateral move, within conference for more money. The Mittie hire was anagolous to Utah hiring Mike Leach after Wittingham leaves.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 18, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »
I agree that nobody is questioning the resumes of the other 7 (wow!) coaches he's hired. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 18, 2015, 09:28:44 PM »
Posted too soon.  Weren't some people - and why, I have no idea - questioning the women hoops coach hire's resume, particularly his record the season that concluded right when we hired him?