Author Topic: Sleep Apnea  (Read 14197 times)

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Sleep Apnea
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »
My doc said that I need to do a sleep study for a number of reasons. Do any of you guys/gals have sleep apnea and have went through and bought a CPAP? If so, do you get used to sleeping with a mask on your face? Also, do you think it actually works?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Sleep Apnea
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 09:23:28 AM »
Why would it not work?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 09:25:22 AM »
honestly i think most people with sleep apnea are just lazy

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:33:59 AM »
My dad wears a mask, I am #thankful that he wakes up alive every morning. What do you have to lose? (except your life)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:35:07 AM »
i think i'm developing it, but it doesn't seem to be affecting me much yet. probably need to just lose weight.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 09:37:04 AM »
My grandpa has used a cpap for like 10+ years,  but he has cancer now so watch out

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 09:39:20 AM »
skip the Big Medicine and just get a cpap off craigslist

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:39:33 AM »
or from an estate sale

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:51:29 AM »
or from an estate sale

I know of one soon

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 09:57:31 AM »
 :frown:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 10:09:18 AM »
No offense - I'm assuming there are cases of sleep apnea in younger individuals that aren't related to obesity, so feel free to tell me to eff off - but you should probably focus on losing weight. Wearing a mask to bed every night is no way to live, and there are so many other health problems associated with excessive weight. Focus on your health!
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 10:09:38 AM »
honestly i think most people with sleep apnea are just lazy
bad genes

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 10:31:33 AM »
No offense - I'm assuming there are cases of sleep apnea in younger individuals that aren't related to obesity, so feel free to tell me to eff off - but you should probably focus on losing weight. Wearing a mask to bed every night is no way to live, and there are so many other health problems associated with excessive weight. Focus on your health!

I'm 6'-2" and weigh 200 lbs...i don't think that weight loss is the solution as i'm not overweight.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 10:45:34 AM »
are you lazy?  what's causing the apnea?  as dlew pointed out, a lot of it is genetics and you can't help it if you lost the genetic lottery, but maybe there is more to it.  do you curl up on the couch with a bag of cheez-it's and watch the boob tube every night after work?  (confession- i do, but no apnea).

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
what about that surgery that jackhammers the inside of your nose/sinus cavity to make it like a huge jet engine intake?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 10:55:03 AM »

eff off, you're wrong. If he has sleep apnea it is unlikely that losing weight will help, only if he has a mild form.

I knew I had sleep apnea when I was a freshman in college. I was 6'2" 160 lbs. Unfortunately I am from a home town with not many medical options and the Lafene Health Center didn't offer much help. It wasn't until I moved to Wichita 7 years later and saw real doctors that I was able to get a sleep study. I was not only snoring heavily but doing all of that crazy crap like falling asleep at stop lights. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, so sleep apnea is not a condition for just obese people. Flo Hyman was one of the best volleyball players in American history and she died of a heart attack on the floor while playing. She had marfan syndrome which caused sleep apnea. Reggie White also died from complications caused by sleep apnea.

ShellShock, even if you are obese or can stand to lose a few pounds, that doesn't have a rough ridin' thing to do with what you need to do now. These rough ridin' morons popping their mouths off on here aren't doctors, eff them. The sleep study was a rough ridin' nightmare for me. I went to the sleep center and they hooked all of these wires and sensors all over my face and body. They tried to make me go to bed at 10:00PM, just go straight to sleep. No music, books, tv, nothing; they just wanted you to sleep with all of this crap hooked up to you while they were watching you. Well the entire night, 10-6AM I slept for 45 rough ridin' minutes. I had to go back a second time and I convinced them to let me read and when I got tired I would put the book down, turn the lights off and go to sleep. They allowed me to read and I slept. I averaged 42 events per hour which, is awful.

I was given the choice to have surgery or to go on the cpap and I elected for the cpap, not a fan of elective surgeries. I started with a full face mask, you are allowed to breath normally while awake when wearing the full face. I noticed a difference the first night. I stopped using the full face mask because it wasn't comfortable and it looked stupid. I went to one that just covered my nose but that was crazy hard to use, so I went back to the full face permanently. You never ever ever get used to the mask, I have had mine for a decade now. I still mess with it on a nightly basis. I switched to a new brand last winter and I was thinking over the weekend that I want to switch back to what I used before. Despite never getting used to the mask, using the cpap has absolutely changed my life. You have no idea how much negative impact sleep apnea has on your life until it gets fixed. There are times when I don't use my mask because I fall asleep before I put it on and I pay for it. I don't know if this is because I am older but when I forget my apneas are much more severe, I wake up gasping for air and it takes me a few more seconds before I can get a breath, its like drowning out of water.

ShellShock, run don't walk to the nearest sleep center and get it done man, your life depends on it. Oh also, if you do have sleep apnea and have to get a cpap DO NOT get your supplies from APRIA healthcare. They charged my insurance $750 for a mask that costs $100 on the internet. My insurance came after me for the money. Also do not buy a cpap used or any of the equipment used, it needs to be calibrated to what your sleep needs are, if you travel to high altitudes you will also need to take it in to be recalibrated.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 11:02:36 AM »
WE'RE GOING TO SUCK COMPLETE crap

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 11:12:09 AM »
If a person snores a lot and complains of not getting any sleep, could it be caused by sleep apnea? What should I do to monitor them to determine if they have sleep apnea?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »
my dentist spent my entire last appointment talking to me about sleep apnea like he was a jehovah's witness for sleep apnea (or against it, i guess).  it was kinda weird.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 11:34:17 AM »
my dad has apnea. he did a sleep study and they said he was waking himself up every 45 minutes from his poor breathing. has a mask now and sleeps much better.

go do the study. sleep is important to your health and you never know what theyll find.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 11:36:57 AM »
If a person snores a lot and complains of not getting any sleep, could it be caused by sleep apnea? What should I do to monitor them to determine if they have sleep apnea?

i would do what any normal person would do- come here and rely on the advice of a bunch of strangers on the internet

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 11:45:09 AM »

eff off, you're wrong. If he has sleep apnea it is unlikely that losing weight will help, only if he has a mild form.

I knew I had sleep apnea when I was a freshman in college. I was 6'2" 160 lbs. Unfortunately I am from a home town with not many medical options and the Lafene Health Center didn't offer much help. It wasn't until I moved to Wichita 7 years later and saw real doctors that I was able to get a sleep study. I was not only snoring heavily but doing all of that crazy crap like falling asleep at stop lights. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea, so sleep apnea is not a condition for just obese people. Flo Hyman was one of the best volleyball players in American history and she died of a heart attack on the floor while playing. She had marfan syndrome which caused sleep apnea. Reggie White also died from complications caused by sleep apnea.

ShellShock, even if you are obese or can stand to lose a few pounds, that doesn't have a rough ridin' thing to do with what you need to do now. These rough ridin' morons popping their mouths off on here aren't doctors, eff them. The sleep study was a rough ridin' nightmare for me. I went to the sleep center and they hooked all of these wires and sensors all over my face and body. They tried to make me go to bed at 10:00PM, just go straight to sleep. No music, books, tv, nothing; they just wanted you to sleep with all of this crap hooked up to you while they were watching you. Well the entire night, 10-6AM I slept for 45 rough ridin' minutes. I had to go back a second time and I convinced them to let me read and when I got tired I would put the book down, turn the lights off and go to sleep. They allowed me to read and I slept. I averaged 42 events per hour which, is awful.

I was given the choice to have surgery or to go on the cpap and I elected for the cpap, not a fan of elective surgeries. I started with a full face mask, you are allowed to breath normally while awake when wearing the full face. I noticed a difference the first night. I stopped using the full face mask because it wasn't comfortable and it looked stupid. I went to one that just covered my nose but that was crazy hard to use, so I went back to the full face permanently. You never ever ever get used to the mask, I have had mine for a decade now. I still mess with it on a nightly basis. I switched to a new brand last winter and I was thinking over the weekend that I want to switch back to what I used before. Despite never getting used to the mask, using the cpap has absolutely changed my life. You have no idea how much negative impact sleep apnea has on your life until it gets fixed. There are times when I don't use my mask because I fall asleep before I put it on and I pay for it. I don't know if this is because I am older but when I forget my apneas are much more severe, I wake up gasping for air and it takes me a few more seconds before I can get a breath, its like drowning out of water.

ShellShock, run don't walk to the nearest sleep center and get it done man, your life depends on it. Oh also, if you do have sleep apnea and have to get a cpap DO NOT get your supplies from APRIA healthcare. They charged my insurance $750 for a mask that costs $100 on the internet. My insurance came after me for the money. Also do not buy a cpap used or any of the equipment used, it needs to be calibrated to what your sleep needs are, if you travel to high altitudes you will also need to take it in to be recalibrated.

:thumbsup: Thanks for the info MiR!

I'm a big stomach sleeper, will this completely screw up my sleep like that? I'm not sure if I can sleep with the nose mask while on my stomach. I suppose I can teach myself to sleep on my back but that doesn't sound like fun.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »
a friend had a lot of issues and changed to nasal pillows, said it was much more comfortable.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 11:48:37 AM »
a friend had a lot of issues and changed to nasal pillows, said it was much more comfortable.

WTF is a nasal pillow?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 12:24:57 PM »

WTF is a nasal pillow?

they basically go right into your nostril vs. just cover your nose