Author Topic: Outstanding work by Snyder and the Athletic Department  (Read 13047 times)

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
Re: Outstanding work by Snyder and the Athletic Department
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2015, 06:15:08 PM »
Does everyone agree that "the current state of this program" is 3-1, with the single loss being on the road against a ranked team (while still beating the spread)?

I mean, I can see taking this "let's be honest here" approach if people are saying we're still in contention for a playoff spot, but this is kind of a crazy level of freak out for a pretty expected result thus far.

I'm starting to think that if Captain Cook played like we expected a WR to play at QB and we lost by double digits, the people here would be less BID so long as they knew Hubes was coming back.

Yeah, some of the talk after the OSU game is just crazy.

Almost every one of Snyder's peak seasons have come with an experienced QB coming back. We obviously didn't have that this year and then on top of that we've had tons of QB injuries and we're missing arguably our top 2 defensive backs.

I'm disappointed in losing a winnable road game because we lost in the last minute, but I'm far from being upset with the state of the program. I don't think we are devoid of talent and this is obviously a building year for K-State. If we can manage 6-7 wins and a bowl game in a competitive league I won't be disappointed at all.
I was most upset by the defense failing yet again to close out a half.  This was supposed to the "strength" of the team.

La Tech:
2:00 left in the first half -> let them drive 59 yards for a FG
1:16 left in the second half -> let them drive 60 yards for a FG

OSU:
4:37 left in the first half -> let them drive 83 yards for a TD
3:01 left in the second half -> let them drive 45 yards for a FG

Four halves in a row where the defense failed to get a stop.

We had a miraculous offensive first half just flushed away because we couldn't stop a team with a poor QB from converting 3rd and longs.  We used to love to claim that it's not "luck" but that Bill's teams were just that well-coached etc.   It was because of Bill's genius that we could take advantage of the opportunities our opponents would give us.  But this team has not.

It's not that our plucky team almost scratched out a victory, rather it was our team refusing to take the game that OSU so desperately tried to give us (+2 in TO margin and those TOs were at the most fortunate times as well, blocked extra point, unable to stop our WR/QB, horrible play calling from Gundy)!   Everything lined up that possibly could have (once our starting QB went down) and we still managed to lose.

In defense of the, well, defense that 3rd and long in the second quarter has officially been acknowledged as a mistake by the Big 12.  So, we did make a stop there.

OSU may have ended up converting a 4th down there, had they gone for it, but we did stop them about four yards short of the marker.
No we didn't.  Both teams played to markers.  The play on the field went past the sticks as on the field.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2015, 06:51:25 PM »
I think it's fair to point out that our defense is playing without our best two defensive backs.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2015, 06:56:51 PM »
true but all teams have to deal with injuries and off the field issues

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2015, 06:58:42 PM »
I've seen K-State lose an All Big 12 caliber safety before.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2015, 07:03:44 PM »
more athletic players would be less likely to get injured as easily as our crew of DITR's. sad, but this all falls on bill's shoulders re- recruiting.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

catzacker

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2015, 07:12:12 PM »
Best two?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »
I think it's fair to point out that our defense is playing without our best two defensive backs.

I think the drop off to the #2's is part of the frustration with recruiting.   
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2015, 07:15:09 PM »

I think the drop off to the #2's is part of the frustration with recruiting.

Yes.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2015, 07:17:04 PM »
what if i told you tom osborne was a bigger scumbag than art briles, steffy?

You could tell me, but I wouldn't believe you.

Dr. Tom wasn't the saint that the fans made him out to be (see handling of Phillips), but he ran a relatively clean program.  Accepted walk-ons.  Developed (and nurtured) a culture that fit the state and made it a big attraction.  Results pretty damn good.  Would take.

Hell, I always cheered for NU when he was there.  I didn't really start to hate NU until Callahan and Pelini.

Get out.  Leave.  Go away.  Delete your profile.  Burn your computer.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2015, 07:23:20 PM »

Best two?

Wrong on my part. McDaniel is playing.

Offline MixBerryCrunch

• Señor Vol
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Anybody want a peanut?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2015, 07:43:10 PM »
What's the state of this board going to be when we beat TCU this week?  :whistle1:
Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2015, 08:06:20 PM »
What's the state of this board going to be when we beat TCU this week?  :whistle1:

Probably the same state if all of us individually were given a suitcase full of cash on Saturday, same odds too.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2015, 01:20:46 AM »
Does everyone agree that "the current state of this program" is 3-1, with the single loss being on the road against a ranked team (while still beating the spread)?

I mean, I can see taking this "let's be honest here" approach if people are saying we're still in contention for a playoff spot, but this is kind of a crazy level of freak out for a pretty expected result thus far.

I'm starting to think that if Captain Cook played like we expected a WR to play at QB and we lost by double digits, the people here would be less BID so long as they knew Hubes was coming back.

Yeah, some of the talk after the OSU game is just crazy.

Almost every one of Snyder's peak seasons have come with an experienced QB coming back. We obviously didn't have that this year and then on top of that we've had tons of QB injuries and we're missing arguably our top 2 defensive backs.

I'm disappointed in losing a winnable road game because we lost in the last minute, but I'm far from being upset with the state of the program. I don't think we are devoid of talent and this is obviously a building year for K-State. If we can manage 6-7 wins and a bowl game in a competitive league I won't be disappointed at all.
I was most upset by the defense failing yet again to close out a half.  This was supposed to the "strength" of the team.

La Tech:
2:00 left in the first half -> let them drive 59 yards for a FG
1:16 left in the second half -> let them drive 60 yards for a FG

OSU:
4:37 left in the first half -> let them drive 83 yards for a TD
3:01 left in the second half -> let them drive 45 yards for a FG

Four halves in a row where the defense failed to get a stop.

We had a miraculous offensive first half just flushed away because we couldn't stop a team with a poor QB from converting 3rd and longs.  We used to love to claim that it's not "luck" but that Bill's teams were just that well-coached etc.   It was because of Bill's genius that we could take advantage of the opportunities our opponents would give us.  But this team has not.

It's not that our plucky team almost scratched out a victory, rather it was our team refusing to take the game that OSU so desperately tried to give us (+2 in TO margin and those TOs were at the most fortunate times as well, blocked extra point, unable to stop our WR/QB, horrible play calling from Gundy)!   Everything lined up that possibly could have (once our starting QB went down) and we still managed to lose.

In defense of the, well, defense that 3rd and long in the second quarter has officially been acknowledged as a mistake by the Big 12.  So, we did make a stop there.

OSU may have ended up converting a 4th down there, had they gone for it, but we did stop them about four yards short of the marker.
No we didn't.  Both teams played to markers.  The play on the field went past the sticks as on the field.

Which was wrong.  :dunno: