Author Topic: Outstanding work by Snyder and the Athletic Department  (Read 13052 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Outstanding work by Snyder and the Athletic Department
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2015, 12:13:53 PM »
You can raise the ceiling witbout raising the roof

time for some construction nerds to flock

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »
40 of KSU's 115 players on the roster are walk-ons, or over 33%.

That is insane.  And a complete failure from a recruiting standpoint.

Wait, is this a serious post?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 12:58:52 PM »

I know. It's like, do you even understand how red shirts work? :lol:

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2015, 01:14:46 PM »

I absolutely would rather have our program than Baylor's; it isn't even close.

It isn't just about "doing things the right way."  I am very proud of that aspect of Snyder's coaching; it gives me a connection to our program that I wouldn't otherwise have, and makes me want to support the team even when we might "struggle" to a 8-4 type of year (appears to be where we are headed).  (Yes, though, I will agree the "family" thing is corny and I don't like it.)

But, there is another aspect to it.  Doing things the right way--not taking short cuts--is what builds a program over time.  I have said this before, and I will say it again:  Baylor is going to crash and burn.  It is coming.  If they don't make the playoffs this year, I doubt they ever will.  Because scandal, violations, ass-covering, scape-goating...that is all coming.  And then Baylor will be back to the huge pile they were before.....except with a nicer stadium.

By the way, I have no idea where this "we're headed to an 8-4 type season" wishful thinking is coming from.  We're going to be favored in MAYBE 3 games from here out.  KU, Iowa State and maybe West Virginia. 

This team will lucky to be bowl eligible if we're be truthful about the current state of the program.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 01:21:59 PM »
Well crap, you are only eligible to win the games you're favored in  :frown:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
i agree that 2012 was the roof and that their is always some space between the ceiling and the roof (in the case of residences at least)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 05, 2015, 02:07:36 PM »
Does everyone agree that "the current state of this program" is 3-1, with the single loss being on the road against a ranked team (while still beating the spread)?

I mean, I can see taking this "let's be honest here" approach if people are saying we're still in contention for a playoff spot, but this is kind of a crazy level of freak out for a pretty expected result thus far.

I'm starting to think that if Captain Cook played like we expected a WR to play at QB and we lost by double digits, the people here would be less BID so long as they knew Hubes was coming back.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 05, 2015, 02:12:49 PM »
There is absolutely a "win the right way" segment of our fan base, that segment exists within every fan base. I do think for a fair amount of people, I'm willing to bet more than 10%, find this way more palatable and feel more righteous than other college football fans. There are people on this board that feel this way. Look at how people react to Baylor, I'm sure not everyone will admit it in the way that dax put it, but we have fans that would much rather have our image and win 8 games a year than to be Baylor.

It isn't just about "doing things the right way."  I am very proud of that aspect of Snyder's coaching; it gives me a connection to our program that I wouldn't otherwise have, and makes me want to support the team even when we might "struggle" to a 8-4 type of year (appears to be where we are headed).  (Yes, though, I will agree the "family" thing is corny and I don't like it.)

But, there is another aspect to it.  Doing things the right way--not taking short cuts--is what builds a program over time.  I have said this before, and I will say it again:  Baylor is going to crash and burn.  It is coming.  If they don't make the playoffs this year, I doubt they ever will.  Because scandal, violations, ass-covering, scape-goating...that is all coming.  And then Baylor will be back to the huge pile they were before.....except with a nicer stadium.
Steffy08, is the 08 the year you graduated from KSU? 

All the things in your post above are part and parcel of what many Nebraska fans felt during the 90s with the addition of running down JUCO recruiting. 

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 05, 2015, 02:16:57 PM »
tucks  :curse:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2015, 03:13:27 PM »
Remember when we called them powertards lol?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »
Does everyone agree that "the current state of this program" is 3-1, with the single loss being on the road against a ranked team (while still beating the spread)?

I mean, I can see taking this "let's be honest here" approach if people are saying we're still in contention for a playoff spot, but this is kind of a crazy level of freak out for a pretty expected result thus far.

I'm starting to think that if Captain Cook played like we expected a WR to play at QB and we lost by double digits, the people here would be less BID so long as they knew Hubes was coming back.

Yeah, some of the talk after the OSU game is just crazy.

Almost every one of Snyder's peak seasons have come with an experienced QB coming back. We obviously didn't have that this year and then on top of that we've had tons of QB injuries and we're missing arguably our top 2 defensive backs.

I'm disappointed in losing a winnable road game because we lost in the last minute, but I'm far from being upset with the state of the program. I don't think we are devoid of talent and this is obviously a building year for K-State. If we can manage 6-7 wins and a bowl game in a competitive league I won't be disappointed at all.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2015, 03:22:03 PM »
There is absolutely a "win the right way" segment of our fan base, that segment exists within every fan base. I do think for a fair amount of people, I'm willing to bet more than 10%, find this way more palatable and feel more righteous than other college football fans. There are people on this board that feel this way. Look at how people react to Baylor, I'm sure not everyone will admit it in the way that dax put it, but we have fans that would much rather have our image and win 8 games a year than to be Baylor.

Steffy08, is the 08 the year you graduated from KSU? 

All the things in your post above are part and parcel of what many Nebraska fans felt during the 90s with the addition of running down JUCO recruiting.

NU had a great run. Like 40 years.  Would take. In my opinion, they lost what they had because they did not stick true to the values that made them such a steady program.  Callahan and Pelini were hires that this board might have liked, but those two guys were not true to the values that had made NU successful.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2015, 03:31:39 PM »
what if i told you tom osborne was a bigger scumbag than art briles, steffy?

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2015, 03:52:55 PM »

You could tell me, but I wouldn't believe you.

Dr. Tom wasn't the saint that the fans made him out to be (see handling of Phillips), but he ran a relatively clean program.  Accepted walk-ons.  Developed (and nurtured) a culture that fit the state and made it a big attraction.  Results pretty damn good.  Would take.

Hell, I always cheered for NU when he was there.  I didn't really start to hate NU until Callahan and Pelini.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »

You could tell me, but I wouldn't believe you.

Dr. Tom wasn't the saint that the fans made him out to be (see handling of Phillips), but he ran a relatively clean program.  Accepted walk-ons.  Developed (and nurtured) a culture that fit the state and made it a big attraction.  Results pretty damn good.  Would take.

Hell, I always cheered for NU when he was there.  I didn't really start to hate NU until Callahan and Pelini.

you are a total piece of crap

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2015, 03:56:32 PM »

Almost every one of Snyder's peak seasons have come with an experienced QB coming back. We obviously didn't have that this year and then on top of that we've had tons of QB injuries and we're missing arguably our top 2 defensive backs.

I'm disappointed in losing a winnable road game because we lost in the last minute, but I'm far from being upset with the state of the program. I don't think we are devoid of talent and this is obviously a building year for K-State. If we can manage 6-7 wins and a bowl game in a competitive league I won't be disappointed at all.
I was most upset by the defense failing yet again to close out a half.  This was supposed to the "strength" of the team.

La Tech:
2:00 left in the first half -> let them drive 59 yards for a FG
1:16 left in the second half -> let them drive 60 yards for a FG

OSU:
4:37 left in the first half -> let them drive 83 yards for a TD
3:01 left in the second half -> let them drive 45 yards for a FG

Four halves in a row where the defense failed to get a stop.

We had a miraculous offensive first half just flushed away because we couldn't stop a team with a poor QB from converting 3rd and longs.  We used to love to claim that it's not "luck" but that Bill's teams were just that well-coached etc.   It was because of Bill's genius that we could take advantage of the opportunities our opponents would give us.  But this team has not.

It's not that our plucky team almost scratched out a victory, rather it was our team refusing to take the game that OSU so desperately tried to give us (+2 in TO margin and those TOs were at the most fortunate times as well, blocked extra point, unable to stop our WR/QB, horrible play calling from Gundy)!   Everything lined up that possibly could have (once our starting QB went down) and we still managed to lose.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2015, 04:00:38 PM »
Callahan and Pelini ran a far cleaner program than Osborne. Osborne was probably the dirtiest coach of all time.

http://www.si.com/vault/1995/09/25/206647/coach-and-jury-nebraska-players-charged-with-crimes-have-a-steadfast-ally-in-the-man-who-runs-the-program-tom-osborne

Offline TheTruth

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2015, 04:10:11 PM »
I was most upset by the defense failing yet again to close out a half.  This was supposed to the "strength" of the team.

La Tech:

OSU:

We had a miraculous offensive first half just flushed away because we couldn't stop a team with a poor QB from converting 3rd and longs.  We used to love to claim that it's not "luck" but that Bill's teams were just that well-coached etc.   It was because of Bill's genius that we could take advantage of the opportunities our opponents would give us.  But this team has not.

It's not that our plucky team almost scratched out a victory, rather it was our team refusing to take the game that OSU so desperately tried to give us (+2 in TO margin and those TOs were at the most fortunate times as well, blocked extra point, unable to stop our WR/QB, horrible play calling from Gundy)!   Everything lined up that possibly could have (once our starting QB went down) and we still managed to lose.

This.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2015, 04:50:59 PM »
Callahan and Pelini ran a far cleaner program than Osborne. Osborne was probably the dirtiest coach of all time.

http://www.si.com/vault/1995/09/25/206647/coach-and-jury-nebraska-players-charged-with-crimes-have-a-steadfast-ally-in-the-man-who-runs-the-program-tom-osborne
there was never any question where winning was on Dr. Tom's priority list

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2015, 05:47:09 PM »

Some ppl failed miserably in the math dept.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2015, 05:49:37 PM »

La Tech:

OSU:

In defense of the, well, defense that 3rd and long in the second quarter has officially been acknowledged as a mistake by the Big 12.  So, we did make a stop there.

OSU may have ended up converting a 4th down there, had they gone for it, but we did stop them about four yards short of the marker.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2015, 05:56:52 PM »
I was really enjoying this thread, until Steffy08 open his mouth.  Anyone that thinks dirty Tom ran a clean program is an idiot that knows very little about our conference past, or football in general.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2015, 06:02:23 PM »

La Tech:

OSU:

In defense of the, well, defense that 3rd and long in the second quarter has officially been acknowledged as a mistake by the Big 12.  So, we did make a stop there.

OSU may have ended up converting a 4th down there, had they gone for it, but we did stop them about four yards short of the marker.
Well what do you know; the Big XII admitting to a mistake.  Seems like when we played OU a couple of yrs ago and our O-line was over 3 yds past LOS; Stoops bitched about it and it was all over ESPN.  Where's the news about this fiasco? 

The Big Train

« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2015, 06:04:09 PM »
the jury is still out for me whether steffy is a real person. I just find it hard to believe somebody is that stupid, I mean I get a lot of people take stuff at face value and drink the kool-aid, but steffy eats the packaging the kool-aid comes in.