Author Topic: Disney World  (Read 73101 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Disney World
« Reply #275 on: June 17, 2016, 01:40:49 PM »

I like to think that they weren't negligent, but are liable. Is that a legal possibility? Because sometimes you just have to pay for crap even when it truly isn't your fault.

I think building a man made beach, and calling the resort a beach club, is sort of risky in alligator infested waters.

That's my point, and one reason why this is a different situation than the general safety hazards of living in a swamp or making a visit to the ocean. I'm sure way more kids are injured or killed at regular beaches than by gator attacks at Disney world (two total?). The difference is that Disney (1) built this, and (2) has more feasible means to increase safety. They could net off the water around the beach, post a life guard to watch for alligators and kids alike, and close the thing at night. You can't net off the ocean at a regular beach. It's just not the same thing.

Not only could this have been avoided, but the proposed "fix" is just absurd.

Do think this idea once crossed the developers' minds?

"The resort will center around a beach on the water.

Aren't there like alligators and stuff in there? What about all the kids?

It'll probably be fine."
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: June 17, 2016, 01:55:07 PM »
It is generally fine during the day but low light/night is when predators are most aggressive.  I doubt the original plan for the beach included movie nights that draw raccoon sized humans to the waters edge just like an actual raccoon :(

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 17, 2016, 02:03:45 PM »
This rather amazing video shows a gator trying to snatch a dog out of a kayak as a guy is fishing at dusk
NSFW Alert - There is a very loud "cocksuckers" after the gator attacks

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: June 17, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »
do people not use headphones at work? how could any audio possibly be "NSFW"?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: June 17, 2016, 02:48:20 PM »
I'm kind of surprised anywhere the public congregates in Florida didn't already have gator signs.   The resorts and places I've been to in Mexico all seem to have had them.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: June 17, 2016, 02:52:16 PM »
I mean, at some level, we have to acknowledge that life is very fragile and there isn't always a person or entity that is the culprit or bad guy. People dying is a part of life. I don't really care either way what happens with the lawsuit or whatever, but the takeaway should be how little of our lives we are actually in control of.

This is a good post.  The same idea applies to places like Yellowstone Park.  Every year people take selfies with bears or get too close too moose or bison or elk or whatever, even though these are wild animals (AND THERE ARE EVEN SIGNS!!).  People in this day and age generally believe that, if it is allowed, it must be safe (otherwise it wouldn't be allowed!).  Goes for beaches or roller coasters or anything like that.  People therefore don't stop to consider if something is dangerous and what the risks are. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: June 17, 2016, 03:05:01 PM »
A mountain lion would probably be the better comparison in Yellowstone. There's a difference between a predator that lurks under the water and a bison or a moose that just wants to be left alone. At a certain point, you can't stop tourists from doing stupid crap. But I don't think these parents did anything wrong. Disney created this nuisance.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: June 17, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »
It is generally fine during the day but low light/night is when predators are most aggressive.  I doubt the original plan for the beach included movie nights that draw raccoon sized humans to the waters edge just like an actual raccoon :(

Yeah the movie night thing probably came later, and definitely part of the problem.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: June 17, 2016, 03:08:11 PM »
The thing is, sometimes wild animals attack.  No one should be held liable for Mother Nature

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 17, 2016, 03:09:09 PM »
I don't think squirrels have ever been known to kill people.

i wasn't trying to illustrate that danger posed by alligators, but rather that they are so common that their presence would be assumed by all non-idiots.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: June 17, 2016, 03:10:41 PM »
rough ridin' lawyers (sorry Lawyer Cats). People looking to sue about an alligator in it's natural habitat doing alligator things is rough ridin' stupid.

thank you, gooch.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 17, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »
A mountain lion would probably be the better comparison in Yellowstone. There's a difference between a predator that lurks under the water and a bison or a moose that just wants to be left alone. At a certain point, you can't stop tourists from doing stupid crap. But I don't think these parents did anything wrong. Disney created this nuisance.

Well, fine, but my post wasn't really specific to this situation, was more of a comment to cf3's post.  But, specific to this instance, I'm sure the parents believed that their kid was doing something safe, otherwise it wouldn't have been allowed. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 17, 2016, 03:18:04 PM »
I thought the issue was more that Disney had been told before that the alligators were there and a likely danger....

no one had to tell disney there were alligators.  they aren't rough ridin' idiots.  they're perfectly aware of the animals they have on site.  they employ people to control the alligator population on their property (that means kill the big ones).  the thing about trying to kill all of things that don't want to be killed and are great at hiding is that it's hard verging on impossible.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 17, 2016, 03:28:32 PM »
I'm in the process of writing a letter to every golf course, residential development with ponds, cities that have crap lagoons, and anybody else that has non-signaged water available to the public in Florida. This would be a terrible, tragic event no matter where it happened, but it kind of goes without saying that people only give a crap about this because *gasp* it happened at a place that entertains children and makes a buck off of doing it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 17, 2016, 03:48:13 PM »
Allihater.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 17, 2016, 04:29:32 PM »
do people not use headphones at work? how could any audio possibly be "NSFW"?

If it was a loud sudden sound that would make you shout out "eff!" (even though you are wearing headphones) that might not be safe for work.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 17, 2016, 04:56:02 PM »
Office lip readers seeing your screen.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 17, 2016, 05:00:21 PM »
VPN blocking YouTube

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 17, 2016, 05:15:37 PM »
If you vacation in a gross state like FL you are going to be responsible for the fallout

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 17, 2016, 05:28:58 PM »
This rather amazing video shows a gator trying to snatch a dog out of a kayak as a guy is fishing at dusk

where was the dog?  i didn't see a dog.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 17, 2016, 09:36:09 PM »

where was the dog?  i didn't see a dog.
the dog actually jumps to out of the boat to the left and has to swim back to the kayak at 0:28.  I It looks like a small brown dog?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 17, 2016, 10:00:06 PM »
you are imagining a dog.  at 0:10, the camera pans down.  no dog.  at 0:28, that is whatever the dude is reeling in.

it looks to me like the guy had a stringer of fish off his kayak and the alligator went for it.  martin didn't include a dog, but the stupid series writers just had to hype up the drama.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 18, 2016, 11:36:16 AM »
they put up a rope fence on the beaches of the resorts on the lake

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 18, 2016, 01:38:40 PM »
What's the sign say - Alligators and what?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 18, 2016, 01:48:34 PM »
it says snakes, you racist bad person.