Author Topic: Disney World  (Read 73099 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Disney World
« Reply #250 on: June 17, 2016, 10:15:03 AM »
Now imagine that alligator shot that kid and like 30 other kids.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 17, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
Absolutely Disney is negligent.  That's not even debatable. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2016, 10:19:03 AM »

Was it a Muslim alligator or a white alligator?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 17, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »

issue each family its own alligator for protection against other alligators

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2016, 10:20:07 AM »
JUDGE GATOR

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »

Was it a Muslim alligator or a white alligator?

homosexual gator

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »
I can't believe that we have thousand upon thousand of miles of sandy beaches directly on the SCARY OCEAN that don't have signs for sharks.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2016, 10:30:07 AM »
Disney sure as crap better put up signs for snakes, snappers, alligators, anacondas, scorpions, etc. while they're at it.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2016, 10:35:18 AM »
Disney sure as crap better put up signs for snakes, snappers, alligators, anacondas, scorpions, etc. while they're at it.

Maybe just one sign for "dangerous animals".

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2016, 10:36:15 AM »
Disney (and others) employ lifeguards.  Wouldn't it be cheaper just to put up signs that you could drown?  Or perhaps they are aware they accept some liability by offering a place and accepting money for access to a place where people could swim and therefore drown?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 17, 2016, 10:58:11 AM »
i mean in all seriousness, they don't really need to put up any signs NOW, do they?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: June 17, 2016, 11:21:11 AM »
I can't believe that we have thousand upon thousand of miles of sandy beaches directly on the SCARY OCEAN that don't have signs for sharks.

yeah, that's the issue. I can see from each side and it's not as clear cut as some are acting. how many millions (billions?) of people have walked on their beaches? and I assume this is the first alligator attack. that's a pretty low hit ratio. you can't risk engineer everything to perfection. and is a florida jury going to set some new precedent that every property owner is now responsible for every wild animal that lives nearby if they don't completely fence them off from the guests? is every rental property, lodge, or resort negligent if one of their visitors is eaten/bitten by a bear/cougar/snake/shark/crocodile/lion/etc. that lives in the area? I know a little bit about disney's risk engineering and they are widely considered to be the best in the business. I think statistics will support that.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 17, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »

yeah, that's the issue. I can see from each side and it's not as clear cut as some are acting. how many millions (billions?) of people have walked on their beaches? and I assume this is the first alligator attack. that's a pretty low hit ratio. you can't risk engineer everything to perfection. and is a florida jury going to set some new precedent that every property owner is now responsible for every wild animal that lives nearby if they don't completely fence them off from the guests? is every rental property, lodge, or resort negligent if one of their visitors is eaten/bitten by a bear/cougar/snake/shark/crocodile/lion/etc. that lives in the area? I know a little bit about disney's risk engineering and they are widely considered to be the best in the business. I think statistics will support that.

I thought the issue was more that Disney had been told before that the alligators were there and a likely danger....not that an unexpected animal just wandered onto their property and that it is totally surprising that one wandered up there.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 17, 2016, 11:31:45 AM »
The danger couldn't have been too likely if it happened to one kid out of millions that visit yearly

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 17, 2016, 11:42:10 AM »

I thought the issue was more that Disney had been told before that the alligators were there and a likely danger....not that an unexpected animal just wandered onto their property and that it is totally surprising that one wandered up there.

well there's more than one single issue. disney will have a massive amount of documentation on what they did to respond to the being "told before that the alligators were there and a likely danger". it's what their response was to the information and if that response was reasonable for what could be expected of them that will determine if they were negligent. a 1:100,000,000 (no idea on the second number but it's huge) chance of a fatal alligator attack occurring on their property based on whatever controls they had in place may be the best that could be expected of them. I'm not arguing that it was at all, just that that is what will be looked at if it were to go to court.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 17, 2016, 12:33:24 PM »
I like to think that they weren't negligent, but are liable. Is that a legal possibility? Because sometimes you just have to pay for crap even when it truly isn't your fault.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 17, 2016, 12:44:16 PM »

I like to think that they weren't negligent, but are liable. Is that a legal possibility? Because sometimes you just have to pay for crap even when it truly isn't your fault.

I think building a man made beach, and calling the resort a beach club, is sort of risky in alligator infested waters.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 17, 2016, 01:13:42 PM »
This is why they have insurance folks. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 17, 2016, 01:20:40 PM »
This is why they have insurance folks.

they actually have two captives

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 17, 2016, 01:22:28 PM »
yeah, the no swimming signs have nothing to do with alligators, just pointing out they are already there. I don't think the amoeba thing is a part of it at all either. they just don't have lifeguards on those beaches. there are alligators all over the resorts. you see them in the water filled areas under bridges, etc. everywhere you go. if you see a big body of water that's not a pool you can look close and find an alligator floating there. I've never seen one close to 7 feet though. usually just a couple feet long. lil sd loves waiting for boats and pointing out turtles and alligators and fish and stuff.

Most of the initial stories mention a lifeguard. If even splashing in a few inches of water was dangerous, shouldn't the lifeguard have warned the parents to stop? He's a disney employee who's job is beach safety so I do think there is some level of disney liability. Its not like a backwoods river. Its a fake beach with a lifeguard. I can understand why the parents had no inkling of danger.

A lifeguard on duty was unable to help, possibly because he was too far away.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/15/482130882/alligator-grabs-2-year-old-near-disneys-grand-floridian-resort

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 17, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2016, 01:23:30 PM »
the lifeguard may have been too far away because he or she may have been lifeguard'ing an actual pool elsewhere

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 17, 2016, 01:24:09 PM »
yeah, the no swimming signs have nothing to do with alligators, just pointing out they are already there. I don't think the amoeba thing is a part of it at all either. they just don't have lifeguards on those beaches. there are alligators all over the resorts. you see them in the water filled areas under bridges, etc. everywhere you go. if you see a big body of water that's not a pool you can look close and find an alligator floating there. I've never seen one close to 7 feet though. usually just a couple feet long. lil sd loves waiting for boats and pointing out turtles and alligators and fish and stuff.

Most of the initial stories mention a lifeguard. If even splashing in a few inches of water was dangerous, shouldn't the lifeguard have warned the parents to stop? He's a disney employee who's job is beach safety so I do think there is some level of disney liability. Its not like a backwoods river. Its a fake beach with a lifeguard. I can understand why the parents had no inkling of danger.

A lifeguard on duty was unable to help, possibly because he was too far away.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/15/482130882/alligator-grabs-2-year-old-near-disneys-grand-floridian-resort

there is no lifeguard on any of their beaches. the lifeguard was from the pool.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 17, 2016, 01:25:05 PM »
that makes more sense. the picture in my head all week has been some baywatch chair on a beach

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 17, 2016, 01:29:36 PM »
I mean, at some level, we have to acknowledge that life is very fragile and there isn't always a person or entity that is the culprit or bad guy. People dying is a part of life. I don't really care either way what happens with the lawsuit or whatever, but the takeaway should be how little of our lives we are actually in control of.