Author Topic: Is Planned Hamburger more important than the entire good of America?  (Read 129856 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Is Planned Hamburger more important than the entire good of America?
« Reply #875 on: January 26, 2016, 01:03:00 PM »
Can't you just walk into PP and other clinics and pretty much get free contraceptives?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 26, 2016, 01:05:01 PM »
My hot take on Abortion. It's a tragedy and we as a society should work so there is less of them. But women will have them done if they are legal or not, so why not make them legal to a certain point of the pregnancy? As a male I have a hard time telling a women that she must have a kid, especially when we have such a shoddy safety net. Just my humble opinion.

pretty much where i stand
No offense, but that's the laziest crap in the world.

You admit it's a tragedy -- why exactly is it tragic?  I thought this was a mere medical procedure.  Like removing a cyst or setting a broken ankle.  Is it tragic solely because the procedure sometimes puts an emotional toll on the woman?  Is every mere medical procedure a tragedy? 

Also, the argument that women will get abortions whether or not they're illegal is a nonsense argument.  The idea that society should only make an activity illegal if it means that, henceforth, no one will engage in that activity is extremely silly when you think about it for longer than five seconds.  People still steal things.  People still murder. 

Finally, the "I'm a man so I can't have a say," is just bullshit.  Should non-slaveholding northerners just minded their own business?  If you think abortion is murder, "I'm a man" is irrelevant.

Bravo. 110% agreed. Could not say it better.

One other point regarding "women will get them anyway" even if they're illegal, the author linked on the previous page makes a compelling argument that this isn't true. She believes that many women are either explicitly or implicitly encouraged to get abortions by their friends and families. "I'll be there for you." They don't receive that same level of encouragement to keep the baby. Abortion has become culturally acceptable. Making more abortion illegal would make it less culturally acceptable.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: January 26, 2016, 01:05:51 PM »
There is lots and lots of evidence that we would reduce costs to society and drastically reduce abortions by providing free contraception to everyone, especially teenagers.

Amazingly, the same people that claim abortion is a literal holocaust don't want to do that.

Education too.  However, same ppl really like ignorant, unprepared, baby time bombs.
I am for these solutions!

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: January 26, 2016, 01:06:34 PM »
There is lots and lots of evidence that we would reduce costs to society and drastically reduce abortions by providing free contraception to everyone, especially teenagers.

Amazingly, the same people that claim abortion is a literal holocaust don't want to do that.

Free contraception may solve some problems but the burning in hell for eternity problem would just get worse

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: January 26, 2016, 01:08:44 PM »
Can't you just walk into PP and other clinics and pretty much get free contraceptives?

Yes. But I believe KK is referring to OTC availability of morning after pill?

I respect people who oppose such availability because it can cause abortion. However, I support it from the pragmatic viewpoint that it could dramatically reduce both the number of later term abortions and the rationale therefore.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: January 26, 2016, 01:10:36 PM »
I give ksuw credit for just being emotional instead of dumb tho, check this out from the cloak room (not a troll)

You have to understand the context of these people's beliefs. It's not that they support abortion / killing babies in a vacuum (no pun intended). It's the context of being warriors for the feminist cause. That's what these people get off on, for varying reasons. Some have been indoctrinated by society/media for the last 30 years. Some think it's going to get them pussy. You have to understand the root ideology. Feminism seeks to maximize constraint of male sexuality, while at the same time maximizing lack of constraint of female sexuality.

You're still deflecting. I've made my point. You don't have to admit you're wrong - just think about it.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: January 26, 2016, 01:31:49 PM »
My hot take on Abortion. It's a tragedy and we as a society should work so there is less of them. But women will have them done if they are legal or not, so why not make them legal to a certain point of the pregnancy? As a male I have a hard time telling a women that she must have a kid, especially when we have such a shoddy safety net. Just my humble opinion.

You admit it's a tragedy -- why exactly is it tragic?  I thought this was a mere medical procedure.  Like removing a cyst or setting a broken ankle.  Is it tragic solely because the procedure sometimes puts an emotional toll on the woman?  Is every mere medical procedure a tragedy? 

Also, the argument that women will get abortions whether or not they're illegal is a nonsense argument.  The idea that society should only make an activity illegal if it means that, henceforth, no one will engage in that activity is extremely silly when you think about it for longer than five seconds.  People still steal things.  People still murder. 

Finally, the "I'm a man so I can't have a say," is just bullshit.  Should non-slaveholding northerners just minded their own business?  If you think abortion is murder, "I'm a man" is irrelevant.

It's ok to think it's a tragedy and still not want the government to throw people in jail for having an abortion.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: January 26, 2016, 01:44:39 PM »

It's ok to think it's a tragedy and still not want the government to throw people in jail for having an abortion.
I don't disagree with that.  My question is why do you think it's a tragedy?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: January 26, 2016, 01:48:18 PM »

Because you are ending a human life when you get an abortion, obviously.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: January 26, 2016, 01:51:32 PM »

I'm not sure I can understand not wanting to make the practice illegal if that's your rationale.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: January 26, 2016, 01:56:43 PM »

I'm not sure I can understand not wanting to make the practice illegal if that's your rationale.

Making it illegal entails some sort of punishment. The punishment couldn't be a fine because then you really aren't doing anything but making abortion illegal for poor people. I don't see people who get abortions as any sort of threat to society in the same way I view somebody who murders people that have already been born and living outside of the womb for any period of time, so I think jailing them would be counter-productive. I would also support shorter sentences for some murders than the standard life sentence, fwiw.

I'd probably be willing to support making the practice illegal for doctors to perform, with stripping their license as the punishment. I wouldn't support putting doctors who perform abortions without a license in jail, though.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: January 26, 2016, 02:24:02 PM »
Got the videos "illegally" really bad.  PP willing to traffic baby parts perfectly fine.    :thumbsup:  Nice work ProgLibs
Dax hates cancer and neurological research.  Good job 'Pubs.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: January 26, 2016, 02:25:48 PM »
Here's what I meant. The fundamental issue is if an unborn person has human rights and is considered a person or not. The videos were a tool to sway the argument towards that. What some grand jury says about the ethics of the videos matters little to me. Its a fantastic way to diverge the argument from the actual issue.

Fundamentally, the question is what qualifies as a person who is deserving of basic protection. That's the issue.

The videos had little to do with that. They were specifically trying to catch illegal activity and they failed to do so, so they lied and said there was illegal activity anyway. This directly led to a man shooting people at an abortion clinic.

I'd say "crazy" had a lot more to do with that guy shooting up the clinic than some video exposing the horror of what those clinics do. Such exposes should not be silenced simply because of how a crazy person might respond.

The videos fairly and accurately presented what these clinics actually do. The Planned Parenthood execs actually said what they said. They actually made those jokes and glibly discussed their butchery over lunch. They actually went through their "menu" and pricing of various prices (man, if you can get an intact head that's where the big money is!). The vultures actually coo'd "it's another boy!" while sifting through the remains. These things actually happened, and they were caught on tape.

You don't like to admit the evil of this enterprise, so you deflect to other issues - "The activists forged IDs!", "PP wasn't indicted!" So? They're still monsters.

This is a total lie.  The people at PP have never said that, because the stuff that the videos portray has never happened at a PP clinic, see the controversy over the still born fetus being used as a prop by these disgusting video makers to create a controversy. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: January 26, 2016, 02:28:47 PM »
Dlew I'm surprised to see you take this stance. Your post is a fair bit of misdirection at what people are actually claiming and doing versus narrative.  99% of abortion people would want less abortions.  Making them illegal only puts people at risk.  The comparisons as people have noted to murder are just absurd.  It's about state control of the human body.  If there were a similar mens issue KSUW would take over a wild life refuge to protest the state limiting his right to it.  The overall attack is less about abortion and more about control of women, which has gone on for centuries. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: January 26, 2016, 02:35:50 PM »
Dlew I'm surprised to see you take this stance. Your post is a fair bit of misdirection at what people are actually claiming and doing versus narrative.  99% of abortion people would want less abortions.  Making them illegal only puts people at risk.  The comparisons as people have noted to murder are just absurd.  It's about state control of the human body.  If there were a similar mens issue KSUW would take over a wild life refuge to protest the state limiting his right to it.  The overall attack is less about abortion and more about control of women, which has gone on for centuries.
Some well thought out arguments here. 

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: January 26, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »

Damn Bringing the fire.
tragedy was probably the wrong word. Do I wish there less abortions? Abosolutely. But I don't think it's murder, could the fetus live on its own without being in the womb?
But I'm reminded on the chapter in Freaknomics when it basically makes an argument that the lowering of the crime rate in the early 90's was due to Roe v Wade. I don't think that in itself makes a abortion right, but I think it shows the types of lives outlawing abortion leads too.

and yes I know the argument about it would be done even if it's was illegal I terrible argument, I fight against it all the time in gun control arguments. But I think for the safety and health of our fellow citizens they should have the opportunity to get safe legal abortions.

what is your stance on eugenics?

Obviously I'm against it. I'm not saying abortion should be legal for the betterment of society, I'm just saying there is evidence that shows it might improve society. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: January 26, 2016, 02:44:35 PM »
I am entirely okay with telling women, or men for that matter, that they can't kill somebody.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: January 26, 2016, 02:47:24 PM »
What if "someone" is a clump of two or three cells?   I mean, thats what we are talking about with the morning after pill.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: January 26, 2016, 02:47:49 PM »
I am entirely okay with telling women, or men for that matter, that they can't kill somebody.

See Ya death penalty
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: January 26, 2016, 02:48:00 PM »
I think there is a space where you can call something bad or a tragedy, and not mean murder or a moral law is broken. Is it really murder if it couldn't live outside the womb? To me that's not a person yet.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: January 26, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
For example War is a tragedy and bad, but I think most on here would agree that it's not murder, nor was a moral law broken.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: January 26, 2016, 02:55:34 PM »

See Ya death penalty
Now you're starting to get it!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: January 26, 2016, 02:56:04 PM »
Babies, unborn or not, have rights.  I challenge you to go to one funeral for an unborn baby and tell those parents their dead child was "not a person yet."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: January 26, 2016, 02:58:25 PM »
I think there is a space where you can call something bad or a tragedy, and not mean murder or a moral law is broken. Is it really murder if it couldn't live outside the womb? To me that's not a person yet.
But still, the question I'm getting at is why do you think it's bad or a tragedy. 

For example War is a tragedy and bad, but I think most on here would agree that it's not murder, nor was a moral law broken.
That may be true -- but I'm trying to think of an example where a war was a result of all parties acting morally permissible.  Can you help me out?

Also, war is sad because people die and it can ruin the survivors' lives.  I just don't understand why pro-choice people call abortion a "tragedy."  I can understand the logic behind believing the practice is a standard medical procedure, but I don't get why that would be tragic. 
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 03:04:03 PM by Dlew12 »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: January 26, 2016, 02:59:11 PM »
Babies, unborn or not, have rights.  I challenge you to go to one funeral for an unborn baby and tell those parents their dead child was "not a person yet."

This is irrelevant.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite