Author Topic: Is Planned Hamburger more important than the entire good of America?  (Read 129506 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Is Planned Hamburger more important than the entire good of America?
« Reply #350 on: September 24, 2015, 01:38:26 PM »
i can see his point.  conception is a firm, fixed point in time, at which point the new organism begins development.  in contrast birth occurs at a variable point in time from conception.  while most babies are born at roughly the same time from conception, some can be born much earlier or somewhat later than the median.  regardless of the timing of birth, those babies are at very nearly the same developmental place as other babies the same age from conception.

obviously, as you get farther from conception this distinction becomes less meaningful.  but for young babies, age from conception is a much better indicator of their point in development than is age from birth.

true, but the severing of the umbilical cord, removal from the womb, (and everything else associated w/ birth) is a clear, significant transition. It's more arbitrary than conception, sure, but it definitely shouldn't be considered "arbitrary" by any definition of the word relative to anything else.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 24, 2015, 01:40:41 PM »
Compromise, no more abortions, just premature births. Cut the cord, see how it goes
:adios:

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: September 24, 2015, 01:44:13 PM »
i can see his point.  conception is a firm, fixed point in time, at which point the new organism begins development.  in contrast birth occurs at a variable point in time from conception.  while most babies are born at roughly the same time from conception, some can be born much earlier or somewhat later than the median.  regardless of the timing of birth, those babies are at very nearly the same developmental place as other babies the same age from conception.

obviously, as you get farther from conception this distinction becomes less meaningful.  but for young babies, age from conception is a much better indicator of their point in development than is age from birth.

For instance, the most premature baby to survive an early birth, Amillia Taylor, was born at just 21 weeks and six days into her gestation, which was two weeks before the legal abortion cut off at the time in the US.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 24, 2015, 01:46:44 PM »
What are the positives that would be gained if abortions were illegal? (Assuming we have some agreement on rape/incest/health)

A lot fewer cruelly murdered innocent babies.

More dead pregnant ladies who didn't want to be pregnant and probably a few more murdered babies (actual babies who have been born) and toddlers.

Serious question: How many more of each, do you think?

Another serious question: Do you think large scale bans on abortion would lead to "back alley" clinics worse than Kermit Gosnell's, which somehow managed to exist under our current legal framework?

Probably about 10,000 dead women per year based on the fact that up to 5,000 women died per year in illegal abortions before Roe vs Wade and the U.S. population has doubled since then.

Let's just start with this first number. You claim that "up to 5,000 women" per year died in illegal abortions prior to Roe v Wade. I'm not sure where you got this number from, but it is absurd on its face.

Consider: In 1970, according to the Census Buereau, the total number of women who died between the ages of 15 and 34 was approximately 170,000. Are you really going to tell me that you honestly believe that 5,000 (or 3%) of those deaths were due to an illegal abortion? I guess you did say "up to 5,000" - so you're right, the real number is almost certainly a hell of a lot lower than that.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 24, 2015, 01:48:37 PM »
Illegal abortionist will NOT work on women over 34
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: September 24, 2015, 01:49:29 PM »
Seems like a pretty logical dividing line  :dunno:

yeah, I mean you can have valid arguments against abortion but calling birth an "arbitrary" and "illogical" dividing line is absolutely absurd. Like, where the eff did that argument come from.

Let me put this as nicely as possible: You're being stupid. I've already explained, several times, why birth is an arbitrary and illogical dividing line. If you won't listen to me, maybe listen to sys.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: September 24, 2015, 01:51:22 PM »
What are the positives that would be gained if abortions were illegal? (Assuming we have some agreement on rape/incest/health)

More dead pregnant ladies who didn't want to be pregnant and probably a few more murdered babies (actual babies who have been born) and toddlers.

Another serious question: Do you think large scale bans on abortion would lead to "back alley" clinics worse than Kermit Gosnell's, which somehow managed to exist under our current legal framework?

Probably about 10,000 dead women per year based on the fact that up to 5,000 women died per year in illegal abortions before Roe vs Wade and the U.S. population has doubled since then.

Let's just start with this first number. You claim that "up to 5,000 women" per year died in illegal abortions prior to Roe v Wade. I'm not sure where you got this number from, but it is absurd on its face.

Consider: In 1970, according to the Census Buereau, the total number of women who died between the ages of 15 and 34 was approximately 170,000. Are you really going to tell me that you honestly believe that 5,000 (or 3%) of those deaths were due to an illegal abortion? I guess you did say "up to 5,000" - so you're right, the real number is almost certainly a hell of a lot lower than that.

I got it from this article. http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/health-info/impact-of-illegal-abortion/
I don't think there is really any way to know how many deaths due to illegal abortions really occurred since a lot of them were not reported as deaths due to illegal abortion.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 24, 2015, 01:51:56 PM »

If you followed the link, you would see that the census data is broken down by age groups - not for each year of age. I combined the stats from the 15-24 and 25-34 age groups. Of course you can have children before 15 and after 34, but you also start introducing way more natural causes of death the older you go. Stop. Being. A. Dumbass.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: September 24, 2015, 01:52:11 PM »

yeah, I mean you can have valid arguments against abortion but calling birth an "arbitrary" and "illogical" dividing line is absolutely absurd. Like, where the eff did that argument come from.

Let me put this as nicely as possible: You're being stupid. I've already explained, several times, why birth is an arbitrary and illogical dividing line. If you won't listen to me, maybe listen to sys.

I'm not sure you know what arbitrary means.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: September 24, 2015, 01:55:34 PM »

If you followed the link, you would see that the census data is broken down by age groups - not for each year of age. I combined the stats from the 15-24 and 25-34 age groups. Of course you can have children before 15 and after 34, but you also start introducing way more natural causes of death the older you go. Stop. Being. A. Dumbass.

So only women between 15 and 34 die to illegal abortions.

If I was 34 I think I'd wait until the magical 35th birthday to get the abortion then

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: September 24, 2015, 01:57:33 PM »

I got it from this article. http://www.ourbodiesourselves.org/health-info/impact-of-illegal-abortion/
I don't think there is really any way to know how many deaths due to illegal abortions really occurred since a lot of them were not reported as deaths due to illegal abortion.

Well that sounds like an unbiased source. It, in turn, links to an article from NARAL, which cites a few studies from the 60s and earlier, all of which seem to use the "up to" qualifier. Of course we can't know the exact number of deaths caused by illegal abortion, but you can use common sense by starting with the overall census numbers, as I did.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: September 24, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »

Arbitrary: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

In other words, exactly my point. There is no meaningful difference between a child 2 weeks prior to birth and 2 weeks after.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 24, 2015, 02:01:52 PM »
There is no meaningful difference between a child 2 weeks prior to birth and 2 weeks after.

:lol:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 24, 2015, 02:04:09 PM »

Arbitrary: based on random choice or personal whim, rather than any reason or system.

In other words, exactly my point. There is no meaningful difference between a child 2 weeks prior to birth and 2 weeks after.

I mean, going from being encased in a sack of fluid in another human and getting all its nutrients from a cord in its stomach to being unprotected from the elements and having that cord cut and being forced to breathe and eat through its face seems like a couple meaningful differences.

So if you ignore, like, everything associated with birth, I suppose you're right.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 24, 2015, 02:05:04 PM »
https://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/tgr/06/1/gr060108.html

This article is from 2003, but that shouldn't change the numbers in it. From the sounds of it, deaths from botched illegal abortions were actually very low after the use of antibiotics became available.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 24, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
good lord, you have to force the little fucks to eat and breathe?  smdh.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: September 24, 2015, 02:14:24 PM »
yard dog is ok with abortions, as long as they're illegal. they're not that dangerous!

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 24, 2015, 02:27:11 PM »
yard dog is ok with abortions, as long as they're illegal. they're not that dangerous!

That is simply not true. But, to Mrs. Gooch's statement, it is false to think that it is more deadly overall for abortion to be illegal.

My personal belief is that a positive sex ed culture as opposed to the negative fear driven sex ed we currently have would lead to less teen pregnancy and thus less desire for abortions. That would require parents to talk to their kids about it and cultivate a family environment that encouraged discussion of such things. It has proven very successful in countries who adopt the process.

Serious question, do you all think that the majority of people who seek abortions do so because of their inability to pay for the baby, their lost ability to "achieve their dreams", or is it due to the shame of having a child out of wedlock? (or another reason?)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: September 24, 2015, 02:30:47 PM »

But, to Mrs. Gooch's statement, it is false to think that it is more deadly overall for abortion to be illegal.

Outlawing abortion is more deadly to actual people.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: September 24, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »
I think that many just don't want to have a kid at that time and that is A-OK with me
:adios:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: September 24, 2015, 02:32:47 PM »
From the women I know:

Wasn't ready for a kid - 2
Family coerced her because the dad was black - 1 (very churchy pro-life people too)
Raped - 1

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 24, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »
i kill a lot of small vertebrates, especially mammals.  killing day old mammals is much easier psychologically than killing adults of the same species.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 24, 2015, 02:34:57 PM »
Ksuw would rather throw them all on deathrow

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: September 24, 2015, 02:35:43 PM »
because of their development and ability to process (and express) fear and pain and such.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: September 24, 2015, 02:36:48 PM »
From the women I know:

Wasn't ready for a kid - 2
Family coerced her because the dad was black - 1 (very churchy pro-life people too)
Raped - 1

From the ones I know:

Too young to have a kid and financially unable to support - 2
Financially unable to support a second child - 1