Author Topic: Clock kid should quit whining  (Read 28642 times)

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Re: Clock kid should quit whining
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2015, 05:41:59 AM »
And can we talk about this stud dad that runs for president in his spare time and ordered pizza for the reporters outside his house?
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2015, 07:40:02 AM »
This wasn't the resource officer and they weren't discussing a playground fight.  The kid was questioned by cops for an alleged crime yet parents weren't notified until he was at the police station being finger printed. 

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
And that is how the system works.  If administrators called parents every single time a kid was in the office there would be zero time to do anything else. This I know. When law enforcement or any outside agency is involved, schools have to abide by their rules and regulations. They make contact with parents when they determine the time to be appropriate.

Totally wrong, especially since he asked for his parents multiple times.
No, you are wrong.
hey smart guy you just agreed to where I noted your failure with cns.  There is a reason why i posted links, try to read them.  Texas law does not allow continued questioning once parents are asked for.
First, thanks for the compliment.  Most people call me a dumb ass, not a smart guy.
To my point, I did read the links. I understand that the law there says that parents have to be notified. I just assumed that everyone reading here would know that when I use the term "appropriate" it would imply that they would act within the law. More specifically, I was not defending law enforcement in this case. They should have called parents, because that would have been the normal procedure under Texas law. I said the school did what they were supposed to do. They turned it over to law enforcement and let them handle it. (Now, I do not know what Texas statutes guide schools, but am not that interested in researching it at this time.)
I work with law enforcement, DCF, the court system and school personnel daily. There are folks who perform well in their roles and a few who do not. I am, by nature, an apologist. But I try to be rational and thoughtful when I have to make judgments about situations.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2015, 07:41:55 AM »
When i first heard that a middle eastern kid was arrested because a teacher thought his clock was a bomb, i was thinking she heard a ticking sound in his backpack and had him arrested on the spot and then whoops!  turns out it was a cookoo clock.  I didn't think his clock was actually a briefcase full of wires.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2015, 07:45:17 AM »
wires!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2015, 07:47:36 AM »
pencil box

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2015, 07:59:34 AM »
I just think people are conflating two things here.  I agree that the school and police handled it like islamaphobic idiots.  But come on.  I'm just saying that on a scale of bomb to clock, at first glance, I would probably put this on the bomb side.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2015, 08:16:17 AM »
I just think people are conflating two things here.  I agree that the school and police handled it like islamaphobic idiots.  But come on.  I'm just saying that on a scale of bomb to clock, at first glance, I would probably put this on the bomb side.

I would put it on the clock side, because at first glance, the kid told everyone it was a clock.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2015, 08:25:48 AM »
And it's not like they randomly found it in his locker and he was all "it's a clock it's a clock!"

And they knew the kid. They had way more than sufficient context to not freak out.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2015, 08:26:46 AM »

i honestly don't see anything there that is going to kill me.  :dunno:

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2015, 08:33:08 AM »

Is that an educated opinion? Or just a guess?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2015, 08:40:47 AM »
And it's not like they randomly found it in his locker and he was all "it's a clock it's a clock!"

And they knew the kid. They had way more than sufficient context to not freak out.

He showed it to his engineering teacher or something and the teacher said it's great but he probably shouldn't show anyone else because of how it looked.   In a separate class a teacher heard the alarm go off or something and demanded he show her what the sound was and that's the teacher that freaked out.

I agree with dlew that it kind of looks like a movie bomb, but this obviously should have been cleared up much quicker. Things like the cop saying that when he received the call he knew exactly which kid they were talking about despite never meeting the clock kid kind of show what the mindset of the cops was.

These are also things the school has to take seriously, for better or worse.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2015, 08:50:03 AM »
I love the talking point that he built a "timer," which is "half a bomb."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2015, 09:04:41 AM »

an educated opinion would see that, yes, there are wires, but no, there is no explosives.  I mean, dials, beep, booops, and wires all sound super scary, but there still needs to be something to actually make the boom.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2015, 09:05:45 AM »
I mean, it's no wonder radio shack is out of biz

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2015, 09:12:59 AM »
I love the talking point that he built a "timer," which is "half a bomb."
He was going to make the C4 in 4th period chemistry lab.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2015, 09:25:41 AM »
Srsly, the only bomb that resembles is a movie bomb. The cops might as well have said they suspected him of bringing a tesseract to school.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2015, 09:28:17 AM »
If that was my kid I would be pissed that he completely ruined that briefcase.  Where am I going to keep all my poker chips?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2015, 09:29:50 AM »
I can easily see a movie bomb looking object freaking out some dumbass high school English teacher
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2015, 09:37:13 AM »
I guess since I work with education admin types a lot I understand their concern for safety, but they let their concern override all common sense.    I am probably looking at this through my own eyes.  But, in hindsight it may have been wise for the parents to lay the groundwork for the project and check for understanding.  But I am probably looking at it from my slightly technical background and the fact that I deal with education administrators a lot and understand their great concern for safety.   

I also don't quite get why the engineering teacher didn't keep the project in his room until school was over, I mean if he told the kid to not show the clock to anyone else then he should have had the common sense to hang on to it and have the kid pick it up after school and immediately exit the building.   I also don't understand why school administrators didn't immediately consult the engineering teacher.     Or why if the engineering teacher let the kid walk out of his room with the project, fully knowing that their might be some concern, why didn't he/she notify the administration that he checked out the project and there's nothing to worry about.    Again, just very poor common sense here by many.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2015, 11:12:52 AM »

point out where the payload is.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2015, 11:36:08 AM »

point out where the payload is.

He obviously brought it in for a technical review before he hooked up the explosives.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2015, 12:10:33 PM »
Oh. We all know the saying that a picture is worth a thousand words. This picture changes the story. I don't fault the school for calling the police.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2015, 12:23:20 PM »
lol

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2015, 12:30:23 PM »
I guess since I work with education admin types a lot I understand their concern for safety, but they let their concern override all common sense.    I am probably looking at this through my own eyes.  But, in hindsight it may have been wise for the parents to lay the groundwork for the project and check for understanding.  But I am probably looking at it from my slightly technical background and the fact that I deal with education administrators a lot and understand their great concern for safety.   

I also don't quite get why the engineering teacher didn't keep the project in his room until school was over, I mean if he told the kid to not show the clock to anyone else then he should have had the common sense to hang on to it and have the kid pick it up after school and immediately exit the building.   I also don't understand why school administrators didn't immediately consult the engineering teacher.     Or why if the engineering teacher let the kid walk out of his room with the project, fully knowing that their might be some concern, why didn't he/she notify the administration that he checked out the project and there's nothing to worry about.    Again, just very poor common sense here by many.

putting any kind of blame on the engineering teacher and kid for their inability to foresee how absolutely stupid multiple adults were going to react seems unfair.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »
lol