Author Topic: Clock kid should quit whining  (Read 28318 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Clock kid should quit whining
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2015, 01:03:49 PM »
Didn't blame the kid for anything and it seems perfectly fair to discuss why a teacher, supposedly an adult, who supposedly had concerns about how this project might be perceived by others, didn't simply tell the kid to keep the project in the engineering room for the duration of the school day.

But, ya, LOL.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2015, 02:31:15 PM »
This wasn't the resource officer and they weren't discussing a playground fight.  The kid was questioned by cops for an alleged crime yet parents weren't notified until he was at the police station being finger printed. 

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
And that is how the system works.  If administrators called parents every single time a kid was in the office there would be zero time to do anything else. This I know. When law enforcement or any outside agency is involved, schools have to abide by their rules and regulations. They make contact with parents when they determine the time to be appropriate.

Totally wrong, especially since he asked for his parents multiple times.
No, you are wrong.
hey smart guy you just agreed to where I noted your failure with cns.  There is a reason why i posted links, try to read them.  Texas law does not allow continued questioning once parents are asked for.
First, thanks for the compliment.  Most people call me a dumb ass, not a smart guy.
To my point, I did read the links. I understand that the law there says that parents have to be notified. I just assumed that everyone reading here would know that when I use the term "appropriate" it would imply that they would act within the law. More specifically, I was not defending law enforcement in this case. They should have called parents, because that would have been the normal procedure under Texas law. I said the school did what they were supposed to do. They turned it over to law enforcement and let them handle it. (Now, I do not know what Texas statutes guide schools, but am not that interested in researching it at this time.)
I work with law enforcement, DCF, the court system and school personnel daily. There are folks who perform well in their roles and a few who do not. I am, by nature, an apologist. But I try to be rational and thoughtful when I have to make judgments about situations.

Good post.  I'll just reiterate that once a juvenile asks for their parents, in many states, its the same as any suspect asking for a lawyer during questioning.  The issue here is no different as if the police continued questioning a suspect after invoking their rights.  What the police did was shamelessly illegal and should be the focus of this story.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2015, 02:54:44 PM »
If they really thought it was a bomb, wouldn't they have, I don't know, evacuated the school, not put it in the police car with them or, at least, maybe have taken it away from him? Arab name, Arab name.

This was my thought.  If they're trying to make the point to be "look how much it looks like a bomb" then why did they not act like it was a bomb? From what I can tell, they sent him to the office and everyone just went about their day. Or are they trying to make their point to be "he obviously tried to scare everyone with a fake bomb, but we didn't buy it, so we called the cops and sent him to the office."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2015, 03:49:24 PM »
They are pushing the hoax bomb angle.  Look at the lead cop's comments, always bringing that up. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2015, 03:50:50 PM »
They basically have no other choice.  Either reframe it or apologize and get sued.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2015, 04:02:29 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2015, 04:08:42 PM »
Holy crap, I need to get JMart over here to help complete the memory I have of Fatty picking us up and having something that looked like that clock bomb in his car.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »
True story: when I was in Junior High, we had a kid make a pipe bomb, put it behind a water fountain mid day, and try to set it off.  He was a dumbass and it just smoked a bunch, but they evacuated us, they called the bomb squad, they called the fire dept, and all the KC networks were there with cameras and stuff.  I mean, the no evac is pretty weird unless they figured out almost immediately that it wasn't a real bomb and decided to make an example of a kid with regard to a bomb hoax.  I am not saying it is racial, etc, but it could just be a school wanting to prove how on top of defending the school they are.  Like the pop tart gun school.   

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2015, 04:38:04 PM »
Holy crap, I need to get JMart over here to help complete the memory I have of Fatty picking us up and having something that looked like that clock bomb in his car.

Confirmed this happened and it was awkwardly hilarious.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2015, 08:02:18 PM »

:runaway:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2015, 08:16:46 PM »
:Wha:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2015, 08:33:39 PM »
I didn't notice the AC power cord earlier. Didn't the story say he had it in his bag and the English teacher heard it beep?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
Guys, once they unplugged the bomb it was no longer a threat.
For those of you who are wondering where the payload is, I have two words for you: false bottom.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »
That picture sure added a lot to this story. In my head i was picturing him, like, walking in with a wristwatch on and they put him in handcuffs.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2015, 11:53:26 AM »
If you left that in an airport, they would evacuate, stop all flights, bring in a robot to put it in a bomb containment trailer, and blow it up.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
Lol

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2015, 12:07:42 PM »
So is it that they knew that thing wasn't capable of being a bomb as is but thought why else would this brown kid have a thing of wires unless he was trying to build one and interrogated the eff out of him for a bit instead of verifying from the teacher that clock-building was a thing?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2015, 12:36:37 PM »
So is it that they knew that thing wasn't capable of being a bomb as is but thought why else would this brown kid have a thing of wires unless he was trying to build one and interrogated the eff out of him for a bit instead of verifying from the teacher that clock-building was a thing?

Did you watch the video I posted

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2015, 12:42:35 PM »

Did you watch the video I posted

Yes, but I don't see the relevance of whether the kid cheated on his project to what the administrators or law enforcement were thinking when they saw that jumble of wires and simultaneously didn't think it was bomb-y enough to implement safety things but bomb-y enough to go into terrorism prevention mode.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2015, 12:45:24 PM »
The kid and teachers are all crisis #actors and in on the plot to make the police look silly #obsmahatescops

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2015, 12:46:48 PM »
The kid and teachers are all crisis #actors and in on the plot to make the police look silly #obsmahatescops

Oh, #acting. 

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2015, 03:10:14 PM »

If you left that in an airport, they would evacuate, stop all flights, bring in a robot to put it in a bomb containment trailer, and blow it up.

Which makes it a rarity among science projects or other random things, like unclaimed luggage, that might get some robot attention IF LEFT UNCLAIMED IN AN AIRPORT.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »
lol

The Big Train

« Reply #98 on: September 20, 2015, 04:44:45 PM »
i audibly lol'd at the JTMHTD post

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 20, 2015, 09:50:39 PM »
Yup, aluminum luggage with a big led clock with wires and circuit boards is a pretty common thing, but no need to be concerned. truly lolable.