Author Topic: Breaking up the United States  (Read 40317 times)

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking up the United States
« Reply #400 on: June 23, 2022, 11:22:51 AM »
Can you imagine the constitution that Greg Abbott would write?  woof

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 23, 2022, 11:23:59 AM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

Meanwhile the corporate egress from the Rust Belt/Near Rust Belt accelerates.

Citadel along with Illinois' wealthiest resident, out of Chicago and off to Florida.  Caterpillar moving Hdqtrs from Illinois to Texas.   Less interesting, Boeing moving out of Chicago and off to Arlington, VA.  I suppose they'll feel more comfortable being closer to the office parks full of fellow defense/intelligence/homeland security contractors that dominate the DC burbs. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 24, 2022, 10:31:43 AM »
It's time.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2022, 10:35:21 AM »
It's time.

can we move the SC to one of the loser states?  I am sure they would like Atlanta

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 24, 2022, 10:35:39 AM »

Citadel along with Illinois' wealthiest resident, out of Chicago and off to Florida.  Caterpillar moving Hdqtrs from Illinois to Texas.   Less interesting, Boeing moving out of Chicago and off to Arlington, VA.  I suppose they'll feel more comfortable being closer to the office parks full of fellow defense/intelligence/homeland security contractors that dominate the DC burbs.

I wonder if the Roe ruling today will have any affect on this. Prob not, but i'm sure some company will at least threaten a move from a conservative state for a bit or until Americans completely forget about it in 3 days.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 24, 2022, 10:41:47 AM »
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 24, 2022, 10:49:08 AM »
This could be a great first step to see the geography of things between the states that ban abortion and the others.  Instead of throwing darts, that'd give us an idea of exactly how much relocating might need to take place and what sorts of things would need to be split and if there could be any partnerships still between the new countries.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: June 24, 2022, 10:58:55 AM »

I wonder if the Roe ruling today will have any affect on this. Prob not, but i'm sure some company will at least threaten a move from a conservative state for a bit or until Americans completely forget about it in 3 days.

It will have little to no impact beyond #blueanon most favored megacorops and virtue signaling American oligarchs offering words words words. Otherwise it will be all about the tax situation and QOL.  In the case of Boeing they gave it a bunch of lip service about how they would still be vested in Chicag, but the Chicago officials were crushed.  Griffen and that crap bag Pritzker hate each other.   

Areas like Huntsville AL (rated best city in America this last year) and Austin, TX will continue to have unfettered growth driven by tech companies, defense contractors and huge R&D base.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 24, 2022, 11:06:54 AM »

It will have little to no impact beyond #blueanon most favored megacorops and virtue signaling American oligarchs offering words words words. Otherwise it will be all about the tax situation and QOL.  In the case of Boeing they gave it a bunch of lip service about how they would still be vested in Chicag, but the Chicago officials were crushed.  Griffen and that crap bag Pritzker hate each other.   

Areas like Huntsville AL (rated best city in America this last year) and Austin, TX will continue to have unfettered growth driven by tech companies, defense contractors and huge R&D base.

Dax is awake.  :ohno: :ohno: :ohno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 24, 2022, 11:07:58 AM »
My only issue with this is that our states have really shitty weather in the winter.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 24, 2022, 11:38:04 AM »
We’ll see how much the free market comes into play. I remember when artists and some businesses threatened to boycott states that passed bathroom bills. Will companies like Amazon and AT&T threaten to uproot over abortion laws? I’d like to see how that plays out.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 24, 2022, 11:44:37 AM »
i feel like most of the people who will most need access to safe abortions are the ones who can't afford to move to Bears or Cool Kids or whatever

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 24, 2022, 11:50:25 AM »
i feel like most of the people who will most need access to safe abortions are the ones who can't afford to move to Bears or Cool Kids or whatever

Those people overwhelmingly vote for what they get, though.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 24, 2022, 11:52:59 AM »
i know this thread is tongue in cheek, but it's funny saying "we should break up the united states because i want to live where i like the rights and laws."  like, you can move to any abortion protecting state today, my dudes.  don't need secession for that.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 24, 2022, 11:59:41 AM »
i know this thread is tongue in cheek, but it's funny saying "we should break up the united states because i want to live where i like the rights and laws."  like, you can move to any abortion protecting state today, my dudes.  don't need secession for that.

You can move to one today, but you don't have much assurance of what tomorrow brings without cutting the dead weight. And it's not like abortion is the only issue. Some people would prefer to not hear about school shootings every week.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 24, 2022, 12:05:15 PM »

You can move to one today, but you don't have much assurance of what tomorrow brings without cutting the dead weight. And it's not like abortion is the only issue. Some people would prefer to not hear about school shootings every week.
fair enough re. guns.  break'em up.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 24, 2022, 01:48:54 PM »
Needs to be cross posted in the life and times of #blueanon thread:

We don't like the outcome of the election:  Dissolve the Electoral College - Check

We don't like what the Supreme Court rules:  Nullify/Break-up the United States

We don't like that people have divergent views to our hyper-partisan/hyper-dogmatic political views:  Call them a name . . . then break-up the United States

developing . . .
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 01:52:18 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 24, 2022, 01:51:44 PM »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 24, 2022, 02:17:37 PM »

I view it more as about the culture and people one wants to be around, and under what sort of leadership.  Even with being able to move from state to state, nearly half the people in the country lately are ultimately living under a president/government they loathe (not just you know, would prefer someone else but whatever).

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 24, 2022, 02:19:27 PM »
There's quite literally nothing that prevents you from living and being around people you want to be around.

I do find it fascinating that people can't tolerate being around other people with divergent points of view.  But that's life in Joe Biden's America.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 24, 2022, 09:50:58 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUjohlYC94g

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 24, 2022, 10:02:31 PM »

I view it more as about the culture and people one wants to be around, and under what sort of leadership.  Even with being able to move from state to state, nearly half the people in the country lately are ultimately living under a president/government they loathe (not just you know, would prefer someone else but whatever).
You know this would soon be true even if there were a full left / right split of the country, right? In NuLeft Country, the BernieBros would loathe the BidenMods the same way the larger left loathes MAGA now. It would take a few years but it would inevitably get there. The magnitude of difference is unimportant.
:adios:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 24, 2022, 11:27:15 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUjohlYC94g
Just pointing out the impracticality of it!  Breaking up the United States would be a hassle. The abortion issue doesn’t seem like breaking up makes sense.  But it makes sense for the gun issue (and maybe some others).

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 24, 2022, 11:55:47 PM »
Man, it's just amazing watching people living at the pinnacle of first world problems who are in a perpetual state of being triggered by everything.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 25, 2022, 12:18:22 AM »

You know this would soon be true even if there were a full left / right split of the country, right? In NuLeft Country, the BernieBros would loathe the BidenMods the same way the larger left loathes MAGA now. It would take a few years but it would inevitably get there. The magnitude of difference is unimportant.

It doesn't have to end at two.  Probably needs to be at least three.  But let's take one small step and giant leap.