Author Topic: Conquering our fears, together.  (Read 12272 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Conquering our fears, together.
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2015, 08:01:23 AM »
I mean Alzheimer's is really bad and that is scary and so is the fact that you will die but good grief people.  You can't conquer either of those!

There are things that you can do to keep your mind sharp, and maybe delay the onset of Alzheimer's. Mental puzzles like crosswords, etc. help with that. Also, learning something new, like a foreign language. Also, dancing (particularly partner dancing) could reduce your Alzheimer's risk because it keeps your mind engaged and you get physical exercise at the same time.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2015, 08:09:08 AM »
I always fear that I forgot to close the garage door. Like every single day.
I have driven back home to check on that a few times.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2015, 08:33:22 AM »
Shots/needles. Nearly every time I get a shot I pass out. Even minor little things like a TB test. It's terrible.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2015, 08:33:29 AM »
I mean Alzheimers is really bad and that is scary and so is the fact that you will die but good grief people.  You can't conquer either of those!

I don't see the connection between being able to "conquer" something and it not being scary. the opposite actually makes more sense to me. like, it seems more logical that not being able to control alzheimer's onset would make it more scary.

Take it to the accepting your fate thread.  THIS IS NOT THE CAN DO ATTITUDE THIS THREAD IS LOOKING FOR!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2015, 08:35:34 AM »
Shots/needles. Nearly every time I get a shot I pass out. Even minor little things like a TB test. It's terrible.

A good piece of advice I was once told was to not look at it.  It also helps if the nurse is female because you can convince yourself that she is nice and is going to take good care of you.  If it is a guy nurse you have to go in with lots of bravado and you will try to do the flex thing with your arm and then it will hurt worse.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2015, 08:40:16 AM »

A good piece of advice I was once told was to not look at it.  It also helps if the nurse is female because you can convince yourself that she is nice and is going to take good care of you.  If it is a guy nurse you have to go in with lots of bravado and you will try to do the flex thing with your arm and then it will hurt worse.

I've tried all the tricks, doesn't matter. If I lie down, sometimes I'll make it, but I've still passed out doing that. Occasionally I'll have a vasovagal response (basically a minor seizure) as well. I hate shots.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2015, 08:45:14 AM »

I've tried all the tricks, doesn't matter. If I lie down, sometimes I'll make it, but I've still passed out doing that. Occasionally I'll have a vasovagal response (basically a minor seizure) as well. I hate shots.

i used to have both of these reactions, then they started stabbing me so frequently that i got over it. when i got out of the hospital last summer, i gave myself my own blood thinner shots until my warfarin had started working.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2015, 09:46:58 AM »
I'm fine with shots, but getting blood drawn is terrible. Passed out once cause I looked at the blood shooting into the tube
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2015, 10:07:55 AM »
I've never passed out or freaked out from getting blood drawn and especially not from shots. I mean, sure it's a bit uncomfortable and not pleasant and you might get a little light headed. Are you guys getting massive quantities of blood drawn or just like a little vial?

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »

i used to have both of these reactions, then they started stabbing me so frequently that i got over it. when i got out of the hospital last summer, i gave myself my own blood thinner shots until my warfarin had started working.

i like to watch so i am prepared in case i need to do it myself

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2015, 10:16:13 AM »
I've never passed out or freaked out from getting blood drawn and especially not from shots. I mean, sure it's a bit uncomfortable and not pleasant and you might get a little light headed. Are you guys getting massive quantities of blood drawn or just like a little vial?

Just a few tubes  :frown:

I also passed out once when I cut my finger bad and looked at it. I don't do well with irl gore

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »
<-------- Not a care in the world. Having no family medical history is just great sometimes.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2015, 10:59:35 AM »
<-------- Not a care in the world. Having no family medical history is just great sometimes.

Lets talk about snakes, and those that can come out of the toilet.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »
I don't like heights: I went skydiving

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2015, 11:04:59 AM »
KK I thought of one. I was super scared when Mrs. CF3 was pregs. It felt like giving birth was a science experiment and we were the guinea pigs. Turns out modern medicine is pretty great and I had nothing to fear.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2015, 11:10:55 AM »

Lets talk about snakes, and those that can come out of the toilet.
:shakesfist:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2015, 12:30:13 PM »
KK I thought of one. I was super scared when Mrs. CF3 was pregs. It felt like giving birth was a science experiment and we were the guinea pigs. Turns out modern medicine is pretty great and I had nothing to fear.

This is very true.  My wife also was pretty uncomfortable with a lot of the pregnancy.  She puked every day, she was uncomfortable a lot, you have to show your private parts to everyone.  But now we made it through twice and not so bad I guess.

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2015, 04:24:04 PM »

Allow me to change your life.... 

http://www.chamberlain.com/smartphone-control-products/myq-garage/model-myq-g0201

I have this setup and it is awesome.  You can tell if your garage door is closed from your phone and open it for someone if need be.
@mikec2w

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2015, 04:29:36 PM »

http://www.chamberlain.com/smartphone-control-products/myq-garage/model-myq-g0201

I have this setup and it is awesome.  You can tell if your garage door is closed from your phone and open it for someone if need be.

skynet will murder you using your own garage door

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2015, 04:30:27 PM »

which would free you of the suffering of wondering whether your garage door is open, so i'm in

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2015, 04:43:58 PM »

Pffffttttt... I've got my access point secured.  They will never guess the password.
@mikec2w

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2015, 05:26:31 PM »
I don't like heights: I went skydiving
Instead of skydiving, I like to bungee jump.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »
When little Bf is riding in the tractor or combine with me I start thinking of all the terrible ways he could die on the farm.   :frown:

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2015, 06:27:26 PM »
Farms kill kids like hotcakes.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2015, 06:33:43 PM »
Everyone that grew up on a farm knows multiple people that have died in Farm accidents