Author Topic: The Trump Candidacy  (Read 441343 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Trump Candidacy
« Reply #1500 on: March 02, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »
Vancouver is really nice you guys. Not many true Canadians there also. True melting pot.

You couldn't afford it
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Trump Candidacy
« Reply #1501 on: March 02, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »
I just want Hillary to visit more Southern African American churches.    Love that shtick.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: March 02, 2016, 12:56:38 PM »
A fascinating sub-plot is the closet trump supporters passively attempt to make him sound good.

Well conservatives are pragmatic and will vote for whoever the republican nominee is. Liberals however march lockstep and force everyone to vote the democrat nominee and also straight line vote for democrats (republicans don't do that tho)
what!  Several pub states, like Kansas, are pushing to bring back party line voting buttons/boxes solely to do this.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: March 02, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »

Vancouver is really nice you guys. Not many true Canadians there also. True melting pot.

You couldn't afford it

Probably wouldn't pay it at least. They're working on their own little real estate bubble up there.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: March 02, 2016, 01:04:08 PM »
there is much more to the trump phenomenon than just racism and xenophobia.  but racism and xenophobia are important to his candidacy.  all candidates have to build coalitions of voters motivated by different issues.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: March 02, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »
there is much more to the trump phenomenon than just racism and xenophobia. but racism and xenophobia are important to his candidacy.  all candidates have to build coalitions of voters motivated by different issues.
I would add desperation and anger and a perception of macroeconomic business expertise.  I can't think of anything else that would factor into it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: March 02, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »
there is much more to the trump phenomenon than just racism and xenophobia. but racism and xenophobia are important to his candidacy.  all candidates have to build coalitions of voters motivated by different issues.
I would add desperation and anger and a perception of macroeconomic business expertise.  I can't think of anything else that would factor into it.

I think admiration too. At least from a certain portion of guys. Alot of guys want to live his life. Which I don't think you can say about Romney, even tho they are both successful businessmen.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: March 02, 2016, 01:33:29 PM »
Rage against the McKee's article hit the four segments pretty well.  I agree with sys that it is more nuanced than previously suggested ITT.   I would have gone for Bush originally, align with kasich more currently, but of Rubio, Cruz, Trump I find Trump most palatable.  Cruz is far too fundamental for my tastes and Rubio has quickly become a larger buffoon than trump with his Schtick.   
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: March 02, 2016, 01:36:58 PM »
Poor, angry, dumbasses who want to make noise. Does that hit all the segments in the article?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: March 02, 2016, 01:39:34 PM »
Rumor going around among my conservative friends is that Romney is going to run as an independent.  Supposed to announce it tomorrow.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: March 02, 2016, 01:41:58 PM »
Rumor going around among my conservative friends is that Romney is going to run as an independent.  Supposed to announce it tomorrow.

That's the split. There it is.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: March 02, 2016, 01:42:11 PM »

That would be great.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: March 02, 2016, 01:43:54 PM »

I wonder if Bernie would consider running independent if Romney does.  I doubt it, but from a game theory perspective, it might makes sense.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: March 02, 2016, 01:44:47 PM »
Wouldn't that be a terrible idea?  Basically split the Republican party in half and ensure a win for Hilary?

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: March 02, 2016, 01:45:51 PM »

I wonder if Bernie would consider running independent if Romney does.  I doubt it, but from a game theory perspective, it might makes sense.

Explain the Game Theory benefits to Bernie?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: March 02, 2016, 01:48:04 PM »
Wouldn't that be a terrible idea?  Basically split the Republican party in half and ensure a win for Hilary?

Not if he thinks Hillary would be a better president than Donald.

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: March 02, 2016, 01:50:15 PM »

Hilary will already beat Donald, so why would he destroy the Republican party in the process?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: March 02, 2016, 01:57:32 PM »

If the republican vote is split he has a chance at winning the general with a split democrat vote.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: March 02, 2016, 01:58:32 PM »

I think part of the GOP doesn't want Trump to win the presidency Bc then the conservatives and establishment lose their party to facist nationalists for at least 4 if not an entire generation.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: March 02, 2016, 01:59:10 PM »

Hilary will already beat Donald, so why would he destroy the Republican party in the process?
Hilary might lose to Donald.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: March 02, 2016, 02:00:40 PM »

If the republican vote is split he has a chance at winning the general with a split democrat vote.

that would be wild. minnesota wild!  :D

Offline Dub

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: March 02, 2016, 02:00:52 PM »

I don't think this is remotely possible.

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: March 02, 2016, 02:05:38 PM »

I think it's 65-70% chance Hillary would win. But a black swan event could happen like in 2008 and blow it up.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: March 02, 2016, 02:06:36 PM »

I don't know how likely it is, but if the last year has shown anything, it's that saying "People will come to their senses on Trump" is generally wrong.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: March 02, 2016, 02:07:20 PM »

It is very possible. In fact, I'd say it's better than 50% regardless of what the national polls may say. Trump will hold most red states based on anti-Hillary sentiment alone, and stands a decent chance of winning a number of purple rust belt states based on heavy white defections from the Dem base. Dem turnout in the primaries is WAY down. GOP turnout is way up. And Hillary is a dreadful candidate.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.