Author Topic: TV buying help thread  (Read 14914 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: TV buying help thread
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2020, 02:53:52 PM »
I have a ridiculously cheap 55” TCL with Roku built in above my home office monitors. Like, how can you make them that cheap? What the hell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »
china

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 17, 2021, 11:11:19 AM »
I need a new bluetooth speaker for sand vb nights and such. Whats the hot goss on a good bluetooth speaker?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 17, 2021, 12:18:31 PM »
I have one and know a lot of people with those portable JBL speakers.  They are reliable, durable, and pretty simple to operate.  I'm not a sound quality expert so I won't fully vouch for that but they sound good enough to me.

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 17, 2021, 12:39:52 PM »
those and the UE boom are bitb imo

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 17, 2021, 12:52:55 PM »
We’ve always rolled with jbl

I think we also have a Sony one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 17, 2021, 02:11:04 PM »
Anybody have android tv built into a newer tv? I got a cheap one for a rarely used tv and can't decide if the tv is trash or the android tv platform is the trash. Should have went with a Roku built in I guess.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #158 on: June 17, 2021, 02:29:01 PM »
Concur on JBL Flip

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 20, 2021, 07:40:55 PM »
thinking about getting one of these!

https://www.samsung.com/us/tvs/the-frame/highlights/

are they good? do they really look like art? any decent alternatives?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 20, 2021, 08:05:22 PM »
i’ve got a better version of that and it does look like art but really I never use that

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2021, 08:48:46 PM »
i’ve got a better version of that and it does look like art but really I never use that
How thick is yours and what is it?

We (*my wife) mostly don't want it to look like a TV when not in use. Really like the thin mount on the Frame.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2021, 09:10:30 PM »

I installed/mounted one for a non-handy friend. It is, in fact, low profile and easy to mount. I don't think anyone's going to mistake it for a framed piece of artwork, though, even if you surrounded it with other framed pieces of art. But it might mollify your wife a bit. They don't necessarily look "bad." Overall, a little gimmicky, not nearly as artsy as their website makes it appear, but a decent compromise.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2021, 09:14:05 PM »

I installed/mounted one for a non-handy friend. It is, in fact, low profile and easy to mount. I don't think anyone's going to mistake it for a framed piece of artwork, though, even if you surrounded it with other framed pieces of art. But it might mollify your wife a bit. They don't necessarily look "bad." Overall, a little gimmicky, not nearly as artsy as their website makes it appear, but a decent compromise.

Kinda what I figured. We looked at them at Best Buy and believe it or not that didn't seem like the best environment to decide. The thin cable looked nice too

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2021, 09:33:07 PM »

Kinda what I figured. We looked at them at Best Buy and believe it or not that didn't seem like the best environment to decide. The thin cable looked nice too

Yeah, that thin little cable is supposed to connect to a receiver module that accepts all your porting needs (hidden out of sight) and allegedly squeezes it all through said thin, proprietary cable. I've never stress-tested it, and my friend doesn't really run anything challenging through it, so I don't know how robust that interface/cable really is. But it is definitely designed to be an easy, low-profile solution. I have some concerns about it, but if you want a simple setup, I'm sure it would work just fine.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 20, 2021, 09:50:46 PM »
Those things look pretty great. Does the artwork change or do you just like pick one photo or painting? prob both. Wonder how long it will be before the price drops a bit.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2021, 08:43:49 AM »
So i'm on my second LG after returning the first one for a similar issue. Their HDMI ports are crap. They lose signal and glitch all the time. There are complaints about them online which I wish I had noticed prior to my return. Anyhoo, i'm prob going to get another TV, either a samsung or vizio as i've never really had trouble with either of those. My question is, when my tv isn't glitching, its still pretty new and has a great picture. It honestly doesn't glitch too much, just enough to annoy me and make me want a new one. What do I do with it? I can't sell it to someone with it glitching. I don't want to throw it away? Does anyone take and either fix or recycle them?

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2021, 09:17:09 AM »

We (*my wife) mostly don't want it to look like a TV when not in use. Really like the thin mount on the Frame.

This might be a better option.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »
So i'm on my second LG after returning the first one for a similar issue. Their HDMI ports are crap. They lose signal and glitch all the time. There are complaints about them online which I wish I had noticed prior to my return. Anyhoo, i'm prob going to get another TV, either a samsung or vizio as i've never really had trouble with either of those. My question is, when my tv isn't glitching, its still pretty new and has a great picture. It honestly doesn't glitch too much, just enough to annoy me and make me want a new one. What do I do with it? I can't sell it to someone with it glitching. I don't want to throw it away? Does anyone take and either fix or recycle them?

I had 2 yr old samsung that had a dark shade down the middle. I was able to sell it on facebook for like 50 bucks to someone who uses them for parts. I would try to sell it and just be honest about the issues. Could still ask quite a bit, Someone will probably think it's worth it.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2021, 10:16:50 AM »
I would try to get all my money back from LG

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2021, 10:50:47 AM »
If you're in the market, I have a 55" Insignia 4K LED Fire TV edition from Best Buy. Out the door for $423 ($487 today) with 5-year Geek Squad protection. No complaints after three years on performance. Navigation is simple with remote, voice, or phone. All the usual apps - Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, ESPN, etc.

The only drawback is you can only register one Prime account at a time on the TV. I just throw a Chromecast on HDMI 2 to stream content from fiancé's Prime account. No big deal.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2021, 11:08:02 AM »

This might be a better option.

I like this. I was thinking similarly of hanging some fancy curtains over it.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2021, 11:40:46 AM »
This is a bit off topic but I have a detached garage I would like to be able to put a smart TV out there. Has anyone had luck with a wifi booster? Do they actually work? My wifi signal dies just right at the detached structure.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2021, 11:44:10 AM »
This is a bit off topic but I have a detached garage I would like to be able to put a smart TV out there. Has anyone had luck with a wifi booster? Do they actually work? My wifi signal dies just right at the detached structure.
Yes. I've used a couple different ones to keep the Nest cam online. Not necessary now that I have a 3-piece Nest mesh.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2021, 11:51:33 AM »

Do you have any lines running from the house to the garage? Could simply add an ethernet cable to that and add a satellite to your main router in the garage. Otherwise, I have a friend who has had success with a mesh system for his back house, but it's only about 30 feet away from the main house.