Author Topic: TV buying help thread  (Read 14884 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: TV buying help thread
« Reply #200 on: October 27, 2022, 10:18:35 PM »
My office TV died.  My neighbor had an old 32 inch Sony Bravia LCD HD sitting in a closet collecting dust.  I bought it for 10 bucks, and I've got a stack of Roku's laying around no big woof.

LOL, this thing had an MSRP of $1,900 when it came out in '06.

Still has an awesome picture, tho.  I still like the pictures on these old LCD displays, more cinematic IMO, a little easier on the eyes.  People buy these new QLED's and OLED's and leave the settings on retina burn.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: December 04, 2022, 10:50:19 AM »
i just bought a samsung s95b for my home office, it’s an absolute beast, better picture than my lg e9 and great for gaming in 4k at 120hz with zero input lag

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: December 28, 2022, 03:36:43 PM »
My current TV's won't die but I want to finally get something 4k. OLED is the way to go?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: December 28, 2022, 03:55:37 PM »
bro I just said what to get

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: December 28, 2022, 10:49:09 PM »
My office TV died.  My neighbor had an old 32 inch Sony Bravia LCD HD sitting in a closet collecting dust.  I bought it for 10 bucks, and I've got a stack of Roku's laying around no big woof.

LOL, this thing had an MSRP of $1,900 when it came out in '06.

Still has an awesome picture, tho.  I still like the pictures on these old LCD displays, more cinematic IMO, a little easier on the eyes.  People buy these new QLED's and OLED's and leave the settings on retina burn.

I have an old 2009 RCA that I feel the same way bout. Wonderful picture.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: December 29, 2022, 07:36:14 AM »
My current TV's won't die but I want to finally get something 4k. OLED is the way to go?

Yes.  Absolutely.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 15, 2023, 02:54:37 PM »
tell me which speaker / surround sound system to purchase for my new  85 inch samsung tv.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 15, 2023, 03:10:58 PM »
Sonos sound bar and sub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 15, 2023, 03:59:37 PM »
tell me which speaker / surround sound system to purchase for my new  85 inch samsung tv.
I have the samsung set up from costco with my samsung tv.

Got it from Costco. This is their mid tier sound system and the surround sound is legit. Only thing is that is has less audio channels so it may not sound as good. I think its great. One downside is that I can't plug it into my record player which blows but such as life.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 31, 2023, 11:03:41 PM »
I need a new 43-ish inch tv. It will overwhelmingly be for watching cable, but I want whatever the critical smart functions are without having to plug in chromecasts or fire sticks. I have the basic bose tv speaker soundbar coming already. List good options here and I’ll get one during holiday sales. It’s been nearly a decade since I shopped for one.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 01, 2023, 06:33:16 AM »
Be careful about a Black Friday purchase.  Most good to great deals are for the over-stocked and low-end items.  Also, they throw in out-of-date products to clean up for next year's products.  The best sales are in January.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 01, 2023, 06:33:40 AM »
I need a new 43-ish inch tv. It will overwhelmingly be for watching cable, but I want whatever the critical smart functions are without having to plug in chromecasts or fire sticks. I have the basic bose tv speaker soundbar coming already. List good options here and I’ll get one during holiday sales. It’s been nearly a decade since I shopped for one.
I just buy roku tvs Because They Are cheap but roku is clunky compared to chromecast/firestick etc

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 01, 2023, 06:52:39 AM »
LG does not have the ESPN app so that seems like a critcal function failure for you.  I personally do not like the remote and user interface on my low end Samsung ($400  55inch from Costco) and will be replacing it with a Sony in the next year or so

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 01, 2023, 08:29:17 AM »
Be careful about a Black Friday purchase.  Most good to great deals are for the over-stocked and low-end items.  Also, they throw in out-of-date products to clean up for next year's products.  The best sales are in January.

Yeah, by holidays, I mean any time over the next few months. I’ll get one from a list of gE-recommended whenever I see a good deal on one from that list.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 01, 2023, 08:33:50 AM »
I just buy roku tvs Because They Are cheap but roku is clunky compared to chromecast/firestick etc

LG does not have the ESPN app so that seems like a critcal function failure for you.  I personally do not like the remote and user interface on my low end Samsung ($400  55inch from Costco) and will be replacing it with a Sony in the next year or so

It doesn’t have to be cheap, but I’m skeptical on getting the top dog $1000 one because this will only be for the slot I have for however long I want the nba jam arcade in that same space too. Some day I’d get the bitb big tv for that space when it doesn’t have to share room.

No idea really to what extent I need or should care about Roku, etc. other than that I don’t want to have to plug anything in.

Most of my espn is from the cable box, and I use an iPad on the couch for app things. Never use the tv’s remote, always the cable remote.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 02, 2023, 01:55:58 AM »

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 02, 2023, 01:30:35 PM »
I have an LG set that I purchased back in 2013 for the purpose of watching Angel lob dunks to JO and Rodney swish 3's. I'm remain very pleased with the picture quality.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2023, 02:27:03 PM »
My 75" samsung that I bought last year is still going strong  :Woohoo:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2023, 02:27:45 PM »
I ordered that oled lg 48-inch this morning while it’s only $550 and available. I’ll measure tonight and see if it’ll be too big. Exciting!

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2023, 08:22:03 PM »
Good choice, Trim.  I have a 55" LG that I setup in my bedroom for around ten years and I still love the picture.  But due to the age of it I got a ROKU w/ voice command and it works great.  This spring I ended up getting a 65" Samsung with 4K crystal display and don't need the ROKU.  I have YouTube TV and Paramount+ and I just use the voice feature to open my apps.  It works great.  Do you have voice command on your new LG?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.