Author Topic: New Mattress (MASTER SLEEP THREAD)  (Read 12918 times)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: New Mattress
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 11:43:31 AM »
I will warn you we loved out memory foam mattress at first, but overtime as it's gotten softer, we wish we had more support.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 11:44:11 AM »
What kind of weirdo is buying a used mattress on Craigslist? That is the grossest thing ever.

Especially a ten year old mattress and especially for a thousand bucks.

I mean if you need to buy a mattress from Craigslist then you are probably too poor to pay more than $50 for it.

I've seen used mattresses sell like crazy from hotels I've worked at.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2015, 11:46:01 AM »
I will warn you we loved out memory foam mattress at first, but overtime as it's gotten softer, we wish we had more support.

The one we got has some warranty about it is not supposed to sag more than .25" or something like that and it if does then we get a new mattress....which is really going to suck if it takes 3-5 years to break in.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »

There are people out there who've happily purchased past FattyFest mattresses?  :sdeek:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »

The one we got has some warranty about it is not supposed to sag more than .25" or something like that and it if does then we get a new mattress....which is really going to suck if it takes 3-5 years to break in.

Well, that's pure memory foam.  You said you have a hybrid.  I don't know how those wear.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2015, 11:53:57 AM »
Same.  Cloud delux.  It is fantastic.   Have had it for several yrs and it is amazing.  I did start having some neck issues a while back and started sleeping without a pillow at all, and boom...great sleep, no neck issue.  The cloud contours well enough that I don't need a pillow. 

lol this just sounds ridiculous. Can i come over and look at you when you're sleeping cuz i need a laugh?

What kind of weirdo is buying a used mattress on Craigslist? That is the grossest thing ever.

I mean if you need to buy a mattress from Craigslist then you are probably too poor to pay more than $50 for it.

I think our Tempurpedic was about $4k when we bought it.  They aren't cheap.  They come with a 25 year warranty, and the only way you get that warranty is if you use some sort of special mattress cover.

It's my understanding that memory foam beds, at least Tempurpedic, are immune to a lot of things like bed bugs and stuff like that.  So, as long as it's wrapped in the mattress cover, you're probably fine.

Besides, memory foam beds get really comfortable between 3-5 years.  That's my experience.  I mean, mine is quite possibly the most comfortable anything I've ever come across.

in my unfortunate experience with bed bugs, i don't see how what the mattress is made of would have any impact at all.

when you say 3-5...is the bed still manageable the first years? Cuz i ain't breaking in one for that long.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2015, 12:20:25 PM »

Would you rather sleep on a bed used by 1,000 people one time or by one person 1,000 times?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2015, 12:25:32 PM »
Would you rather sleep on a bed used by 1,000 people one time or by one person 1,000 times?

Depends on who the person was.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2015, 12:31:21 PM »
A young, poor Batt BcKee once accepted a free hotel mattress from a friend who worked at a Hilton. It was a big step up from my futon. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2015, 12:40:45 PM »
I got this when I moved, because it could be delivered the day I moved.  Cheap enough I assumed that I would replace it pretty soon, but over a year later I still love it, and it was essentially free.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L9VANK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
:adios:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2015, 01:03:43 PM »
Same.  Cloud delux.  It is fantastic.   Have had it for several yrs and it is amazing.  I did start having some neck issues a while back and started sleeping without a pillow at all, and boom...great sleep, no neck issue.  The cloud contours well enough that I don't need a pillow. 

lol this just sounds ridiculous. Can i come over and look at you when you're sleeping cuz i need a laugh?

I think our Tempurpedic was about $4k when we bought it.  They aren't cheap.  They come with a 25 year warranty, and the only way you get that warranty is if you use some sort of special mattress cover.

It's my understanding that memory foam beds, at least Tempurpedic, are immune to a lot of things like bed bugs and stuff like that.  So, as long as it's wrapped in the mattress cover, you're probably fine.

Besides, memory foam beds get really comfortable between 3-5 years.  That's my experience.  I mean, mine is quite possibly the most comfortable anything I've ever come across.

in my unfortunate experience with bed bugs, i don't see how what the mattress is made of would have any impact at all.

when you say 3-5...is the bed still manageable the first years? Cuz i ain't breaking in one for that long.

It was perfectly fine.  It's just really aging well.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
somebody try a casper.com mattress. they are advertising their balls off. trying to be the warby parker of mattresses i think.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 01:41:07 PM »

our iComfort does too.   Just more support in general (firmer) is what we wish for.    It was great at first, and felt right, but with the softening we regret not going firmer.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 01:44:19 PM »
somebody try a casper.com mattress. they are advertising their balls off. trying to be the warby parker of mattresses i think.

Sounds pretty cheap compared to others in the same line too. 

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 02:27:40 PM »
i think it takes your body a few weeks to ditch its preconceptions and adapt. also it is possible you just dont like this mattress.

Bad news is that Gooch loves it.

Go with separate beds.

Probably should just go with separate bedrooms. I can barely sleep due to his snoring sometimes anyway.

Get him some Breathe Right nose strips.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »
I got this when I moved, because it could be delivered the day I moved.  Cheap enough I assumed that I would replace it pretty soon, but over a year later I still love it, and it was essentially free.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006L9VANK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I went the Amazon route too. :cool:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003CT37L0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1431545350&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=sleep+innovations+memory+foam+mattress&dpPl=1&dpID=31DkmB0tqAL&ref=plSrch

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 02:32:48 PM »
Do you guys put brown sheets on those things and call them Klondike Beds?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2015, 02:40:03 PM »
i think it takes your body a few weeks to ditch its preconceptions and adapt. also it is possible you just dont like this mattress.

Go with separate beds.

Probably should just go with separate bedrooms. I can barely sleep due to his snoring sometimes anyway.

I suggested those but he won't do it.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2015, 02:40:59 PM »
neti pot

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2015, 02:41:05 PM »

Go with separate beds.

I tried them for the first time last night. I felt more rested when I woke up this morning. small sample size, anecdotal evidence, etc.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2015, 02:44:27 PM »
I tried them for the first time last night. I felt more rested when I woke up this morning. small sample size, anecdotal evidence, etc.

Please tell him that. He will not listen to me.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2015, 02:50:44 PM »

Please tell him that. He will not listen to me.

he probably doesn't like the way you are telling him

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2015, 04:15:27 AM »

Go with separate beds.

Put one on him in his sleep.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2015, 08:10:41 AM »

Not a bad idea, but I think he would wake up while I was doing that.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2015, 08:38:32 AM »

Not a bad idea, but I think he would wake up while I was doing that.
Have some dry runs where you just touch his nose in his sleep.

Or if you wanna be mean about it, cuddle him up. Wrap one arm over him and squeeze his nose til he wakes up then fall asleep in quiet.