Author Topic: New Mattress (MASTER SLEEP THREAD)  (Read 12917 times)

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
New Mattress (MASTER SLEEP THREAD)
« on: May 13, 2015, 08:33:03 AM »
How long is it supposed to take to get used to a new mattress? My back rough ridin' hurts.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
Re: New Mattress
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2015, 09:09:04 AM »
How long is it supposed to take to get used to a new mattress? My back rough ridin' hurts.

Quote from: Katdaddy
depends on how much you're breaking it in   :fatty:

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 09:11:52 AM »
I made the switch to a high density memory foam mattress last fall. It's been the best 6 months of sleep in my life.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »
I made the switch to a high density memory foam mattress last fall. It's been the best 6 months of sleep in my life.

But was the first week the best week of sleep in your life or the worst?

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2015, 09:15:05 AM »

But was the first week the best week of sleep in your life or the worst?
It may have taken a night or two to get situated, but definitely not a full week.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
It's been 4 nights so far...but I also got a new pillow 2 nights ago and I think it is too thick. Last night was the worst night so far. It is not getting better.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »
memory foam mattresses take a while to break in. seriously jump around on it like a kid in a hotel room for a while

also, they absorb your body heat and get softer over time. if you leave for a few weeks when you come back it will be brick hard again

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2015, 09:44:31 AM »
memory foam mattresses take a while to break in. seriously jump around on it like a kid in a hotel room for a while

also, they absorb your body heat and get softer over time. if you leave for a few weeks when you come back it will be brick hard again

The one we got is a hybrid...like memory foam with some springs in it....or something like that.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 09:48:35 AM »
i think it takes your body a few weeks to ditch its preconceptions and adapt. also it is possible you just dont like this mattress.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 09:52:56 AM »
i think it takes your body a few weeks to ditch its preconceptions and adapt. also it is possible you just dont like this mattress.

Bad news is that Gooch loves it.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 09:54:10 AM »

Go with separate beds. 

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 09:55:32 AM »

Go with separate beds.

Probably should just go with separate bedrooms. I can barely sleep due to his snoring sometimes anyway.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 09:57:55 AM »
Did you just start this thread to bitch about Gooch's snoring? If so, well done.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 10:05:25 AM »
Making fun of memory foam mattresses for being way too hot is a thinly veiled method to troll steve dave out of seclusion.  It won't work

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 10:28:53 AM »
We got a Tempurpedic Cloud about three years ago.  At first, my lower back started to hurt, but that's because our old mattress had zero support.  Over time, it worked itself out.

Now, I love that thing.  My wife is weird about it, and she says she prefers one with springs, but it's the most comfortable bed ever.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2015, 11:23:29 AM »
Same.  Cloud delux.  It is fantastic.   Have had it for several yrs and it is amazing.  I did start having some neck issues a while back and started sleeping without a pillow at all, and boom...great sleep, no neck issue.  The cloud contours well enough that I don't need a pillow. 

Side note:  I bought my wife a new memory foam pillow about 6 months ago.  The sales guy was trying to get me to upgrade to the new version of the Cloud.  During which, he told me I could sell my tempurpedic on Craigs list for at least 1k-2k.  I called bullshit and he said that he has customers tell him they sell mattresses that are just short of a decade old for that on there.   :surprised:

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2015, 11:27:54 AM »
What kind of weirdo is buying a used mattress on Craigslist? That is the grossest thing ever.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2015, 11:29:26 AM »
What kind of weirdo is buying a used mattress on Craigslist? That is the grossest thing ever.

Especially a ten year old mattress and especially for a thousand bucks.

I mean if you need to buy a mattress from Craigslist then you are probably too poor to pay more than $50 for it.

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2015, 11:31:21 AM »
How do you guys decide? I've been wanting to get a new mattress for some time. I don't think I can really make a definitive decision by laying on a floor model for a minute in a store.  :dunno:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 11:32:20 AM »
How do you guys decide? I've been wanting to get a new mattress for some time. I don't think I can really make a definitive decision by laying on a floor model for a minute in a store.  :dunno:

Ask them if you can stay the night.

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2015, 11:33:25 AM »

Ask them if you can stay the night.

predictable

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2015, 11:34:43 AM »

I mean if you need to buy a mattress from Craigslist then you are probably too poor to pay more than $50 for it.

I think our Tempurpedic was about $4k when we bought it.  They aren't cheap.  They come with a 25 year warranty, and the only way you get that warranty is if you use some sort of special mattress cover.

It's my understanding that memory foam beds, at least Tempurpedic, are immune to a lot of things like bed bugs and stuff like that.  So, as long as it's wrapped in the mattress cover, you're probably fine.

Besides, memory foam beds get really comfortable between 3-5 years.  That's my experience.  I mean, mine is quite possibly the most comfortable anything I've ever come across.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 11:35:46 AM »

My point wasn't that I could buy one.  It was that when you get sick of yours, sell it on craigs list and go buy the new model. 

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 11:36:31 AM »
Also, if you're really wanting to get weird about it, if you want to check out a Sleep Number, go stay at any Radisson for a night.  Every one I've ever been to has one.

I now avoid all Radisson hotels if humanly possible because I absolutely detest Sleep Number beds.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »

My point wasn't that I could buy one.  It was that when you get sick of yours, sell it on craigs list and go buy the new model.

Yeah, we are not saying that YOU are the weirdo.