Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 232272 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #525 on: September 16, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »
just finished Lee Child- One Shot (book the movie Jack Reacher is based off)- very good book. will read more Reacher novels.

also about 50 pages into Grisham- The Racketeer. pretty good so far...
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: September 16, 2013, 03:19:15 PM »
Infinite Jest.  I like it, but just can't do it right now.

The review on Amazon says that this book isn't for someone who can't devote continued amts of time to it.  That is the truth.  I don't touch it for days, then pick it up and JFC, what was happening again?  I am going to back burner this one until I can own it on a trip or something.

Starting The Son now.  will report back. It follows multiple gens of one family through time in Texas from settling it to now.  Sounds lame saying it like that, but it has pretty dece reviews.

How far did you get?

Personally, I need to be able to put it down from time to time. I can't just sit down and read it for 2 hours. I can maybe read it for 30-45 minutes  before I have to do something else.

The reread is interesting, I'm picking up a lot of foretelling and info I missed the first time through.

Only like 60 pages or so.  Just started it at a bad time when I had a bunch of other stuff going.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 16, 2013, 03:26:17 PM »
just finished Lee Child- One Shot (book the movie Jack Reacher is based off)- very good book. will read more Reacher novels.

also about 50 pages into Grisham- The Racketeer. pretty good so far...

Michael Connelly is also a good author in the vein of Lee Child.

Also, the Straw Men books by Michael Marshall are good reads.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 16, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
Also read American Sniper by Chris Kyle.    Always interesting to get inside the head of those in combat.   While not high literature it was a good airport read.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 16, 2013, 03:28:35 PM »
good scoop, mike. will do. :thumbs:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 16, 2013, 03:30:00 PM »
oh, the Prey books by John Sanford are also decent crime novels, though I like Lee Child and Connelly better.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: October 02, 2013, 09:16:52 AM »
Almost done with The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate.

Really good book if you are into history and geopolitics.

Also started Superfusion: How China and America Became One Economy and Why the World's Prosperity Depends on It.

Was written by a hedge fund manager who ran a China-US growth fund.

I bet you've either already read The Prize (Yergin) or would really enjoy it.

Have not read it, just ordered it off amazon.

:thumbs:

Started reading it 2 nights ago and am about 100 pages in. REALLY ENJOY IT SO FAR!

Really enjoyed "The Prize" and just started on his follow up "The Quest"

2 chapters in and LOVING IT.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: October 02, 2013, 09:44:36 AM »
Has anyone else read the "Engineers Trilogy" by K.J. Parker?  The series starts with Devices and Desires, I thought it was great but apparently the author is too technical in descriptions siege equipment for some...
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: October 02, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »
Has anyone else read the "Engineers Trilogy" by K.J. Parker?  The series starts with Devices and Desires, I thought it was great but apparently the author is too technical in descriptions siege equipment for some...

I read the first half of that book a few years ago. Then I moved, and when I unpacked could never find the book. I enjoyed what I read and might get the kindle version.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: October 02, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
Started reading Sleep Doctor this week. It is the sequel to The Shining. About a quarter of the way in and it is a fast read.  It has potential, but S hasn't gotten real yet, so we will see. 

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: October 02, 2013, 10:35:20 AM »

I read the first half of that book a few years ago. Then I moved, and when I unpacked could never find the book. I enjoyed what I read and might get the kindle version.
Finish it out!  The full story arc is amazing to contemplate at the end of the series.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #536 on: October 02, 2013, 11:11:01 AM »
Read 2666, whew that was an experience.  Pretty great imo, the scope was so huge.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 03, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »

Sounds like it might be good and all the books in the series are out. (I have way too many series that I've started and now have to wait for more books.)

So I tried to see if the library had this book. No, they just have this one:
"Devices and desires : a history of contraceptives in America"
http://books.google.com/books/about/Devices_and_Desires.html?id=Im8RdEyDX8cC

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 03, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »

Sounds like it might be good and all the books in the series are out. (I have way too many series that I've started and now have to wait for more books.)

So I tried to see if the library had this book. No, they just have this one:
"Devices and desires : a history of contraceptives in America"
http://books.google.com/books/about/Devices_and_Desires.html?id=Im8RdEyDX8cC

Well, was it a good read or not?

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 14, 2013, 03:10:37 PM »
Started reading Sleep Doctor this week. It is the sequel to The Shining. About a quarter of the way in and it is a fast read.  It has potential, but S hasn't gotten real yet, so we will see.

so King is basically just collecting checks nowadays.  I mean, I am not done with this yet, but I am like 75% through it and it isn't bad, it just isn't anything.  It reads quick when you have the time, but I didn't' touch this for quite some time and didn't really miss it.    Overall, so far, it's a mild meh.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: October 14, 2013, 03:15:04 PM »
Did some un-thinkable and AMAZING things during his life.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Thunder-Carson-Conquest-American/dp/1400031109

Didn't I already post this one?  Good read for sure.  On the drive to Phoenix I told the entire RV the story of Kit Carson.  Showed them Mt Taylor on the drive by, etc.

finally reading this, it's pretty great. I've been to Fremont Peak before. Man, what a jackass that guy was.

Also Kit Carson holy crap what a stud.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: October 14, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »
The guys walks through the rough ridin' cactus riddled desert with no shoes.  Stud confirmed.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 06, 2013, 07:37:52 AM »
i was googling to find out what a buffalito was and i found this book that i now have to read

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalito-Destiny-Adventures-Amazing-Conroy-ebook/dp/B00ATJJISM/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1383744831&sr=1-9

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 07, 2013, 11:58:11 AM »
I'm reading Steven Pressfield's The War of Art currently. It's basically his self-help book for aspiring artist, so I don't know why I'm reading it, but it is interesting.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 07, 2013, 12:04:58 PM »

so King is basically just collecting checks nowadays.  I mean, I am not done with this yet, but I am like 75% through it and it isn't bad, it just isn't anything.  It reads quick when you have the time, but I didn't' touch this for quite some time and didn't really miss it.    Overall, so far, it's a mild meh.

yeah, I had similar feelings.   Interesting concept, but to be honest I was never a huge fan of the Shining either.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 07, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »
Reading Night Film.   Interesting so far, and I must say the production of the book (paper, graphics, etc.) is top notch, almost textbookish.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10112885-night-film

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 07, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
Reading Sycamore Row, John Grissham(sp?)'s new one.  Same cast as Time To Kill, but different sitch.  About 1/3rd of the way in and it is ok.  Never been a huge fan of JG, but really like Time To Kill. 

I think I am going to give El Narco or Over The Edge of The World a shot next. 

Offline raquetcat

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
  • ^ I let us down
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 07, 2013, 01:04:52 PM »
I just finished reading There are no children here, it's older, but good. A true story about 2 brothers growing up in the projects of Chicago in the 1980's, really makes me wonder if I could have made it, had I grown up in that type of situation and the whole nature/ nurture thing.
I'm purple down

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 07, 2013, 01:05:41 PM »
I'm reading Steven Pressfield's The War of Art currently. It's basically his self-help book for aspiring artist, so I don't know why I'm reading it, but it is interesting.

Have you read any of his other stuff other than Gates of Fire?  If so, what and would recommend?
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 07, 2013, 02:30:54 PM »

Have you read any of his other stuff other than Gates of Fire?  If so, what and would recommend?

I have not read any of his other work. The Legend of Bagger Vance, Gates of Fire and The Virtues of War are all on my reading list. I'm planning on picking one to read over winter break when I don't have any required reading for school.