Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 230036 times)

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #400 on: March 12, 2013, 09:38:59 AM »
You guys I'm about 80 pages into my 2nd attempt at A Tale of Two Cities. SO good. The first time I tried to read it I was 14 or 15. Too young I guess, because it's great.  :D

Oh man, if you like the first 80pgs, you will really love the last 100 or so.   :excited:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 20, 2013, 08:24:36 AM »
maybe jc nichols will be in there.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 20, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »
You guys I'm about 80 pages into my 2nd attempt at A Tale of Two Cities. SO good. The first time I tried to read it I was 14 or 15. Too young I guess, because it's great.  :D

Oh man, if you like the first 80pgs, you will really love the last 100 or so.   :excited:

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: March 20, 2013, 08:42:47 AM »
Almost done with The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate.

Really good book if you are into history and geopolitics.

Also started Superfusion: How China and America Became One Economy and Why the World's Prosperity Depends on It.

Was written by a hedge fund manager who ran a China-US growth fund.

I bet you've either already read The Prize (Yergin) or would really enjoy it.

Have not read it, just ordered it off amazon.

:thumbs:

Started reading it 2 nights ago and am about 100 pages in. REALLY ENJOY IT SO FAR!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 20, 2013, 08:44:23 AM »
Almost done with The Revenge of Geography: What the Map Tells Us About Coming Conflicts and the Battle Against Fate.

Also started Superfusion: How China and America Became One Economy and Why the World's Prosperity Depends on It.

Started reading it 2 nights ago and am about 100 pages in. REALLY ENJOY IT SO FAR!

:thumbs: :thumbs:

I'm pretty bad with names so I had to keep a notebook handy when I read it to write down new characters and what they did.  He'll go a 100 pages not talking about some dude and them bam there is he again and you're like wait WTF is this guy again? 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 20, 2013, 09:10:57 AM »

:thumbs: :thumbs:

I'm pretty bad with names so I had to keep a notebook handy when I read it to write down new characters and what they did.  He'll go a 100 pages not talking about some dude and them bam there is he again and you're like wait WTF is this guy again?

I keep my phone handy and google the random places they were finding oil, they use old timey names like borneo and baku instead of Indonesia and Azerbaijan. I know the general location of those places but it really helps to pinpoint them on the map.

Just got to the part where they start talking about the beginning of the Russian Revolution and how Stalin got his start organizing the oil workers into unions. :excited:

Offline FuzzyWuzzy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 20, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »
I'm about to start The Looming Tower.  Has anyone read?  My bro said it's a must read.  also, english can go eff itself for read/read
http://www.amazon.com/Looming-Tower-Al-Qaeda-Road-11/dp/1400030846

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: book recommendations
« Reply #409 on: March 20, 2013, 09:17:33 PM »
I'm about to start The Looming Tower.  Has anyone read?  My bro said it's a must read.  also, english can go eff itself for read/read

Read monstering and hubris and Woodward's books.  That one I heard was good too.  I think I may have gone a little nuts post 9/11 and Iraq war era current events reading.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 26, 2013, 07:05:21 PM »
Just got done reading "The Harbinger", it was interesting.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline FuzzyWuzzy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 26, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »

Read monstering and hubris and Woodward's books.  That one I heard was good too.  I think I may have gone a little nuts post 9/11 and Iraq war era current events reading.

would you recommend any of those?  Looming Tower is very good so far.  It is pretty much just a collection of facts pulled from the 50 years preceding 9/11 and organized into a narrative describing the confluence of events on both sides which culminated in the attack.  The book is colored by the author's perspective here and there, but it is usually pretty clear when he is reading between the lines.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 27, 2013, 06:27:18 AM »

I actually had a better experience reading things Said and Lewis wrote before 9/11. And if you can get a copy, Habib's "Warriors of Islam" is rough ridin' fantastic (but it's out of print and the CIA bought up most of the copies).
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 27, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »
I just typed in Warriors of Islam into Amazon and it gave me a  :dunno:

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #415 on: March 27, 2013, 08:43:38 AM »
Here's the full title:

Ibn Sa'ud's Warriors of Islam: The Ikhwan of Najd and Their Role in the Creation of the Sa'udi Kingdom, 1910-1930

I could never find one and eventually had a mutual professional acquaintance ask him for a copy.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 27, 2013, 08:46:43 AM »
What about it made the CIA get all CIA'ey?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 27, 2013, 08:49:30 AM »
I just ordered:  http://www.amazon.com/Family-Properties-Exploitation-America-ebook/dp/B003EI2EKE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363782853&sr=8-2&keywords=family+properties

Also :love:

Pretty great so far.  If I could have any person review it, I would probably choose David Duke.  Jews scheming/cheating black people in an Irish-controlled city.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2013, 11:23:03 AM »
What about it made the CIA get all CIA'ey?

They bought up copies for their own internal training courses.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2013, 02:49:27 PM »
I just ordered:  http://www.amazon.com/Family-Properties-Exploitation-America-ebook/dp/B003EI2EKE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363782853&sr=8-2&keywords=family+properties

Pretty great so far.  If I could have any person review it, I would probably choose David Duke.  Jews scheming/cheating black people in an Irish-controlled city.

I WILL READ THIS TOO.

The problem with books is there are so many and so little time. That's why I'm glad we have this thread, friends.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 27, 2013, 02:58:29 PM »
Here's the problem with books/reading:  no one has ever said "no, not tonight honey, I'd like to read instead."

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #421 on: March 28, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »

I WILL READ THIS TOO.

The problem with books is there are so many and so little time. That's why I'm glad we have this thread, friends.

YES! I would have never seen this book but now I'm absolutely gonna read it. Thanks, KK.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 28, 2013, 10:41:22 AM »
http://www.amazon.com/Off-Books-Underground-Economy-Urban/dp/0674023552/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207624317&sr=8-2

This book by Venkatesh got me interested in the subject after Freakanomics referenced the salaries of drug dealers.  "Off the books" is one of my favorite books ever.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 31, 2013, 04:08:38 PM »
http://www.amazon.com/Off-Books-Underground-Economy-Urban/dp/0674023552/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207624317&sr=8-2

This book by Venkatesh got me interested in the subject after Freakanomics referenced the salaries of drug dealers.  "Off the books" is one of my favorite books ever.

Racist Goldbrick thread just pushed me over the edge to buy this.  Might be a couple month's til I have time to read it, but oh well.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 18, 2013, 06:41:13 PM »

Finally getting to the end of this 800 page monstrosity and they are talking about T Boone Pickens. I had never heard of the guy before he started throwing cash at OSU but he was/is a freaking baller.

He was a pretty small player up until the 80's when there was a surplus of Oil and Oil companies stocks were depressed and undervalued. XYZ Oil companies would have a market cap of say 300 million but proven reserves worth 900 million so he would buy the company. After a couple of times the big major oil companies caught on so he switched tactics.

The big whammy was when Gulf Oil was undervalued....He secretly bought around 25% of the shares of Gulf Oil when the price was around $40 and made a takeover bid at $62 a share. He knew that this was stupid low but it started a bidding war for Gulf Oil among the bigger oil companies and they were eventually bought out by Chevron at $80 a share....T Boone made a cool $760 million(pretax) on the deal. :sdeek: