Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 232770 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #1975 on: October 15, 2020, 01:52:02 PM »
30 hours for volume 1

Wow. Storm of swords is like 47 hours total, took me over a year to get through it.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: October 15, 2020, 02:19:43 PM »
Yeah, they are great if you're driving. I made it through like 5 Cormac Mccarthy books driving to California and back.
The No Country For Old Men audiobook was scarier than the movie.

Sounds like plans to turn Blood Meridian into a movie have stalled.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: October 15, 2020, 02:52:25 PM »
I don't think Blood Meridian would make a good movie.

Offline jc_jax

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: October 15, 2020, 03:29:51 PM »
I listen to audio books while running.  A good book distracts me more from the miles still to go than music does.  I need distraction because running is the worst.
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: December 04, 2020, 04:22:36 PM »
The Dog Stars - kinda appropriate for this year, it's a post-apocalyptic story where a global pandemic has wiped out like 99% of the population.  There is a very thin "love story" that adds little value but otherwise it's a good read.  I like this genre.

I also downloaded Ready Player Two today and hope to start on it this weekend.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1980 on: December 04, 2020, 05:13:00 PM »
Finished American Kingpin a while back and it was my favorite read this year. About the dood that started and ran The Silk Road website where you could by anything. Pretty amazing story on both ends. Goes in depth on him and why he started and ran it, but also the different agencies that worked to catch him. Really enjoyed it.  :cheers:

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: December 04, 2020, 05:36:55 PM »
Finished American Kingpin a while back and it was my favorite read this year. About the dood that started and ran The Silk Road website where you could by anything. Pretty amazing story on both ends. Goes in depth on him and why he started and ran it, but also the different agencies that worked to catch him. Really enjoyed it.  :cheers:

Yes, it's good!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: December 04, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »
The Dog Stars - kinda appropriate for this year, it's a post-apocalyptic story where a global pandemic has wiped out like 99% of the population.  There is a very thin "love story" that adds little value but otherwise it's a good read.  I like this genre.

Read that a couple of years ago and yes, very good. Just read "A boy and his dog at the end of the world" and its a similar book but set in the UK. By similar I mean there is a global pandemic that wipes out 99% of the population and it involves a person and their dog. Its a little more YA'ish but worth the read.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1983 on: December 04, 2020, 07:30:53 PM »
Under The Volcano had the best portayal of alcoholism that I've ever read.  Not for anyone looking for something light-hearted.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: December 05, 2020, 12:38:17 PM »
Can’t Hurt Me by David Goggins is pretty great. Every time I think something is hard, especially while working out, I think if this book and this lunatic. Dude was a Seal, a Ranger, and whatever the Air Force equivalent. Had a weird/terrible life up to that point where he says he finally realized his limits were all in his head. Just an amazing and inspiring human being.  He’s also a pretty great Twitter follow even though he rarely posts. Stay hard mother fuckers!!!

Also, after you read that you can read Living with a Seal. A rich dude paid Goggins to live with him for a month. He had to do everything he said for the month. It’s def more LOL than the above and is a quicker read. You can actually read this first but I think it makes it better knowing Goggins more after reading his book first.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: December 28, 2020, 09:15:27 AM »

Ready Player Two sucks.  Don't waste your time and money on it.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: December 28, 2020, 10:05:31 AM »
Under The Volcano had the best portayal of alcoholism that I've ever read.  Not for anyone looking for something light-hearted.

one of kk's sister in laws called me an alcoholic over text message this weekend and I'm not even sure it's one that I've met before so I guess I better read this.

:frown:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: December 28, 2020, 10:19:52 AM »

one of kk's sister in laws called me an alcoholic over text message this weekend and I'm not even sure it's one that I've met before so I guess I better read this.

:frown:
I can only imagine what KKs sister-in-law who I haven’t met thinks of me
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: December 28, 2020, 11:13:02 AM »
To be fair, she is an alcoholic.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: December 28, 2020, 04:33:23 PM »
Uhhhhh, there is one other book, a big one, that has a better portrayal of alcoholism... :users:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: December 29, 2020, 12:17:45 PM »
Has anyone read All the Light We Cannot See? My daughter recommended it and I'm just starting. I find myself more interested in what the German radio kid is doing than what the French museum kid is doing so far.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: January 14, 2021, 07:37:55 PM »
I need something new.  Fiction and purely for entertainment.  In the last 2 years I’ve read the Expanse series (waiting on book 9), Red Rising series (waiting on book 6), Kingkiller series (waiting on book 3, not holding my breath), and Stormlight series (waiting on book 5).  All were great.  Any suggestions?  Something completed might be nice.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: January 14, 2021, 08:19:12 PM »
I need something new.  Fiction and purely for entertainment.  In the last 2 years I’ve read the Expanse series (waiting on book 9), Red Rising series (waiting on book 6), Kingkiller series (waiting on book 3, not holding my breath), and Stormlight series (waiting on book 5).  All were great.  Any suggestions?  Something completed might be nice.

I have quite a few recommendations.  The Demon Cycle series by Peter Brett, The First Law Series by Peter Abercrombie and the stand alone novels that are related to that series, Raven's shadow series by Anthony Ryan, and Gentlemen Bastards (Lies of Locke Lamora) series by Scott Lynch are all GREAT fantasy series.  SD recommended a sci fi book to me called Pandora's Star, and that was great.  I went on and read the rest of the books in that universe and they were good too. They Hyperion series is another really great sci fi series.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: January 14, 2021, 08:25:04 PM »
Ted Chiangs short story books are very good if you haven't read those

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: January 14, 2021, 08:34:15 PM »

The Murderbot Diaries series. There are 4 novellas and a novel and they are all so much fun.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1995 on: January 14, 2021, 09:26:18 PM »

I have quite a few recommendations.  The Demon Cycle series by Peter Brett, The First Law Series by Peter Abercrombie and the stand alone novels that are related to that series, Raven's shadow series by Anthony Ryan, and Gentlemen Bastards (Lies of Locke Lamora) series by Scott Lynch are all GREAT fantasy series.  SD recommended a sci fi book to me called Pandora's Star, and that was great.  I went on and read the rest of the books in that universe and they were good too. They Hyperion series is another really great sci fi series.

yes hyperion cantos is the best best

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1996 on: January 14, 2021, 09:30:49 PM »
I've heard that the Vorkogsian Saga is pretty good. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vorkosigan_Saga

I read the first one and liked it.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: January 16, 2021, 09:46:41 AM »
Thanks gE, buds! That should keep me busy until those final books are released.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: January 16, 2021, 11:04:03 AM »
Thanks gE, buds! That should keep me busy until those final books are released.

You can also go back in this thread and read mr bread's recommendations. I read all of those and they were great as well.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: January 16, 2021, 01:20:34 PM »

The Murderbot Diaries series. There are 4 novellas and a novel and they are all so much fun.
I gave the first of these to my dad for Christmas based on this thread and he really liked it. Thanks!
:adios: