Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 233614 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #1950 on: June 18, 2020, 05:21:54 PM »
I've always meant to read them, but I've seen all the movies so I feel like it would be kinda anticlimactic.

lil sd and I are on #4. We read one chapter a night at bedtime. Neither of us had seen any of the movies so when we finish one book we then watch that corresponding movie.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1951 on: July 14, 2020, 09:23:43 PM »
Yeah they haven’t moved from the same location on the futon in my office since I got them.  Very good purchase.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
book recommendations
« Reply #1952 on: July 15, 2020, 01:30:31 PM »
This came in the mail today.

Hard back box set is so hot. I was gifted the paper backs 1-6 in the 2nd grade and went with my sister to the midnight release of deathly hallows book that summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1953 on: July 16, 2020, 06:29:22 PM »
Just finished "The Dreaming Void" by Peter Hamilton.  This was just so-so, but I am hoping the next three in the trilogy make it worth while.  The reviews are much better on the next two books.  After this series I am headed back to Fantasy for a while.  I like to bounce back and forth between the two.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/866136.The_Dreaming_Void

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1954 on: July 16, 2020, 06:36:19 PM »
They are good Pete

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1955 on: July 16, 2020, 07:07:32 PM »
This came in the mail today.

Hard back box set is so hot. I was gifted the paper backs 1-6 in the 2nd grade and went with my sister to the midnight release of deathly hallows book that summer.

Did you join gE when you were 11?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1956 on: July 16, 2020, 07:07:55 PM »
They are good Pete

I've loved all of his other books. 

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1957 on: September 10, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »
If you liked World War Z you should definitely check out Max Brooks newest book Devolution. Its written in the same style of World War Z where there are news articles/interviews/etc throughout the book. I Started reading it yesterday and almost finished it last night.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1958 on: September 24, 2020, 03:02:02 PM »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1959 on: October 12, 2020, 09:35:28 PM »
Read (listened to) White Fragility and Black Rednecks & White Liberals back to back a couple of weeks ago. Obviously very opposite, but both thought provoking imo.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1960 on: October 13, 2020, 10:14:17 AM »
white fragility got dragged quite a bit on twitter when everyone was buying books on racism but I never looked into why.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1961 on: October 13, 2020, 10:53:41 AM »
white fragility got dragged quite a bit on twitter when everyone was buying books on racism but I never looked into why.

It is very extreme, almost dogmatic. Kind of like the author figured everything out and now it’s time to follow orders.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1962 on: October 13, 2020, 09:01:35 PM »

It is very extreme, almost dogmatic. Kind of like the author figured everything out and now it’s time to follow orders.

I read it.  I ran the full circle of emotions in response to it while I read. I landed at "if anything she says bothers me, then something is wrong with me." So, I accept that I don't have to agree with everything, I just have to do better to do my part to be more aware and respectful of others, and to not take offense when I am offered coaching on that.

Having said that, I think her very, very, very frequent assignment of the words "racist" and "white supremacist" to things that are on the opposite side of the spectrum from people like the Arian Brotherhood are going to reduce the probability of her message truly getting to those who need it most.   You call most mild mannered white dudes a racist white supremacist, and most of them are going to shut down and not give your message a chance.   It's silly to think you can use the same label for members of the Arian Brotherhood and someone who unwittingly engages in a perceived micro-aggression, IMO.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1963 on: October 14, 2020, 01:50:04 PM »
There's a ton of average white dudes that hold racist views and don't accept it.  That is a problem.

Also, started reading A Brief History of Time and it's pretty interesting and easier that expected.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1964 on: October 14, 2020, 02:00:37 PM »
There's a ton of average white dudes that hold racist views and don't accept it.  That is a problem.

Oh I completely agree.  I'm just saying that racism is a spectrum and one end of that spectrum results in a LOT more harm than the other end.  The author agrees that it's a spectrum, but insists that we immediately start using labels that apply to both ends of the spectrum and do not allow for clarity about which end of the spectrum you are referring to. 

I contend that the labels for violent extremists and the labels for mildly intolerant people shouldn't be the same. I'm OK with putting a label on it, but let's acknowledge the spectrum.  crap, use t-shirt sizes if you want.  "That guy is an XL racist, and that other guy is a M racist." 

I sort of "get" why the author is doing this...she wants to drive recognition of what racist behavior really is, and make people take ownership of their racist behavior.  That's a good thing, and I don't want to be overly critical of her very noble goals.  Let's just make sure that we don't confuse Arian Brotherhood members with average Catbackers.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1965 on: October 14, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »
Just got A Time For Mercy by John Grisham on Audible. It is his new but but borrows a lot of characters from A Time To Kill. Takes me back to high school when I read all of his books and it made me want to be a lawyer when I grew up.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: October 14, 2020, 08:30:40 PM »
i've been trying to grind through the classic War and Peace on audible. I could never read something like this. It is still a grind. the war parts are pretty dope, but the peace parts are snooze central station. 40 ish hours to go, prayers requested.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: October 14, 2020, 09:13:39 PM »
i've been trying to grind through the classic War and Peace on audible. I could never read something like this. It is still a grind. the war parts are pretty dope, but the peace parts are snooze central station. 40 ish hours to go, prayers requested.

Just started the exact same thing, but I just can’t pay enough attention to the Old British narrator’s voice. It’s too soothing and I doze off. Will prob have to try actually reading it.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: October 15, 2020, 09:35:58 AM »
I forgot to tell everyone I read the Gucci Mane autobiography, just like oscar! It was enjoyable. Recommend having Youtube handy so you can listen to his lyrical references and see the old videos as you read!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: October 15, 2020, 11:08:43 AM »
I forgot to tell everyone I read the Gucci Mane autobiography, just like oscar! It was enjoyable. Recommend having Youtube handy so you can listen to his lyrical references and see the old videos as you read!

I admit that I had to google who that was.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: October 15, 2020, 11:34:30 AM »

Just started the exact same thing, but I just can’t pay enough attention to the Old British narrator’s voice. It’s too soothing and I doze off. Will prob have to try actually reading it.
Wowzer. How many hours total is that audiobook?

I started reading Les Miserables about 16 months ago. I've got just 40 pages (out of 1200) left. Victor Hugo goes into some insanely long digressions  about culture and politics that do nothing to move the plot of the book forward. I guess you are allowed to do that when you write one of the greatest novels of all time. The translation (by Julie Rose) is amazing.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: October 15, 2020, 12:18:49 PM »
30 hours for volume 1

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: October 15, 2020, 01:12:29 PM »
It's hard for me to stay focused on audiobooks. It sounds appealing because you can do it while multitasking, but I really can't. I'd rather just read.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: October 15, 2020, 01:23:21 PM »
30 hours for volume 1
That's amazing.

It's hard for me to stay focused on audiobooks. It sounds appealing because you can do it while multitasking, but I really can't. I'd rather just read.
I enjoy them while I'm driving but I can't focus on them if I'm working in the office.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: October 15, 2020, 01:49:41 PM »
Yeah, they are great if you're driving. I made it through like 5 Cormac Mccarthy books driving to California and back.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite