Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 229899 times)

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #1125 on: May 13, 2015, 01:16:41 AM »
Dragon Tattoo Trilogy

Did you know that a fourth book is coming out?
Written by who? Larsson died in 2004 and those were the last three manuscripts he turned in.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: May 13, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »
Dragon Tattoo Trilogy

Written by who? Larsson died in 2004 and those were the last three manuscripts he turned in.

They got a new author.
David Lagercrantz

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: May 13, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »
Well I read the first two books in the Discworld series that SD suggested. They were good, but they didn't have that "I really want to ignore all other things to read this" feeling.....So should I read more of them or switch to something else?

Nice of SD to leave right when I am in the middle of this crisis.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: May 13, 2015, 09:08:02 AM »
Dragon Tattoo Trilogy

They got a new author.
David Lagercrantz
I'll give it a go. I'm excited for a fourth book. Thanks for letting me know. :D

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: May 18, 2015, 03:56:07 PM »

I'm just finishing up another trilogy, the Broken Empire, by some bro named Mark Lawrence.

so the last one is not good.  it's like he lost interest.  very strange for someone's talent to just completely abandon them like that only three books into a career. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: May 18, 2015, 03:59:19 PM »
I settled on this non-fiction book - thanks for nothing, guys:

http://www.amazon.com/Age-Ambition-Chasing-Fortune-Truth/dp/1491581441

I'm about 1/4 of the way through and it's really nice so far. The author does a nice job using personal stories to highlight how and why recent changes in Chinese policy have changed things.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: May 18, 2015, 04:06:58 PM »

I'm just finishing up another trilogy, the Broken Empire, by some bro named Mark Lawrence.

so the last one is not good.  it's like he lost interest.  very strange for someone's talent to just completely abandon them like that only three books into a career.

You are a fast reader.  I am only half through the "Cold Commands."  This "gray places" dream like stuff is tiring.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: May 18, 2015, 04:10:17 PM »

I'm about 1/4 of the way through and it's really nice so far. The author does a nice job using personal stories to highlight how and why recent changes in Chinese policy have changed things.

i can't tell that you read those books.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: May 18, 2015, 04:15:34 PM »

You are a fast reader.  I am only half through the "Cold Commands."  This "gray places" dream like stuff is tiring.

i got a little wrapped up in it because it's like a mystery that i wanted answered.  like wtf is going on and what happened in the past that made it this way?  i love backstory and revelations. 

i'm two books into this demon cycle series by peter v. brett.  it seems pretty solid so far.  your guy pat rothfuss recommended him to me.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: May 18, 2015, 04:23:18 PM »

i can't tell that you read those books.

that's fair. Just have to take my word for it, I guess!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: May 18, 2015, 04:24:58 PM »
there's a really good and funny chapter where the author goes on a Chinese tour of Europe and they stay at Best Westerns at eat only Chinese food. It relates the funny anecdotes to Chinese history and their evolving views on the West. Is this the kind of hard hitting reviews you are looking for?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: May 18, 2015, 04:33:29 PM »

i got a little wrapped up in it because it's like a mystery that i wanted answered.  like wtf is going on and what happened in the past that made it this way?  i love backstory and revelations. 

i'm two books into this demon cycle series by peter v. brett.  it seems pretty solid so far.  your guy pat rothfuss recommended him to me.

Well, you can tell Pat to go ahead and finish that third book.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: May 18, 2015, 04:47:20 PM »
there's a really good and funny chapter where the author goes on a Chinese tour of Europe and they stay at Best Westerns at eat only Chinese food. It relates the funny anecdotes to Chinese history and their evolving views on the West. Is this the kind of hard hitting reviews you are looking for?

no, i just meant i can't tell in your personality as expressed on this bbs.   it's not evident is some tangible or demonstrable way.  i believe that you read them.   

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: May 19, 2015, 08:30:12 AM »
Dad had a copy of Bill O'Reilly's Killing Patton.   It was an interesting read.   I knew how he died, but not the rest of the story.   If even half of it is true, it really begs some questions.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: May 19, 2015, 08:41:33 AM »
Dad had a copy of Bill O'Reilly's Killing Patton.   It was an interesting read.   I knew how he died, but not the rest of the story.   If even half of it is true, it really begs some questions.
I would be skeptical that half of it was true. (Note: I know nothing about how Patton died)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: May 19, 2015, 08:54:47 AM »
everyone shutup and read The Racketeer
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: May 19, 2015, 10:32:14 AM »
I would be skeptical that half of it was true. (Note: I know nothing about how Patton died)

I finished this a week or so ago. Wasn't a bad read but mainly just a re-hash of events most anyone who has paid much attention to WWII history would already know. 
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: May 19, 2015, 10:33:17 AM »
I started "The Things They Carried" - by Tim O'Brien last night... It was tough to put down to go to sleep.  I think it's going to be an emotional/good read.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: May 19, 2015, 10:35:43 AM »

I wouldn't have read it otherwise, but I was out of books and it was in the rainy day drawer.

The alleged assasination plot was new to me.   I'd known the general facts about his death and of course the general plot of WWII.    It is puzzling how it was handled and the peculiarities of certain events (if they are true).

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: May 26, 2015, 03:42:17 PM »
Well I read the first two books in the Discworld series that SD suggested. They were good, but they didn't have that "I really want to ignore all other things to read this" feeling.....So should I read more of them or switch to something else?

Nice of SD to leave right when I am in the middle of this crisis.

Well I went ahead and started the third book, Sorcery...mostly because I couldn't think of anything else I wanted to read right away. It is ok, but pretty much the same as the others so far.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: May 26, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »

i finished the first four books of the demon cycle series.  they're pretty good.  #recommendedtopete

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: May 27, 2015, 05:33:04 PM »

i finished the first four books of the demon cycle series.  they're pretty good.  #recommendedtopete

Almost done with the Cold Commands, after the third one, those will be my next stop.  You are maybe the fastest reader ever.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: May 28, 2015, 10:09:39 AM »
I'm going to read Lev Grossman's The Magicians next.  A trilogy.  Will report back. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 01, 2015, 08:09:10 PM »

I'm going to read Lev Grossman's The Magicians next.  A trilogy.  Will report back.

Finished The Cold Commands, now on to the third book.  Should I read that Demon series next or the Magicians?

Regarding the Morgan series, I am giving them the Pete fantasy novel stamp approval thus far...hopefully it ends well in book three.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 01, 2015, 08:23:04 PM »
Read the demon cycle books first I'd say.